overall

RATINGS: 343   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
For the first edition of the Stillwater Import Series I traveled to the village of Beerzel, located in the Antwerp province of Belgium. Here I teamed up with brewmaster Jef Goetelen to craft an authentic Belgian version of my liquid interpretation of the Spring season. A recipe originally contrived a few years prior as a collaboration brew with my good friend Paul Kretzer. The base is German barley & wheat, with a touch of Belgian aromatic; accented with grassy hops and an array of spring botanicals (heather, chamomile, lavender, & dandelion). Like a fresh meadow in spring. (now currently brewed at Two Roads in CT)

ThisWangsChung's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ThisWangsChung (826) - Leonardtown, Maryland, USA - JUN 30, 2013
11.2 oz bottle into a New Belgium goblet. A: Pours a reddish copper color. I like the head on this one: one fingers high, offwhite shade, and superbly creamy. Retention isnít amazing, though, nor is the body itself that attractive. S: Ridiculously herbal. I wonít go into detail identifying all of the notes, so Iíll just say it smells like some utopian spring day. Allowing it to open up will reveal slight brett touches, as well. T: Itís not as dry as I expected. Wheat malt sweetness (similar to a good dunkel) both opens and closes things - with the herbal qualities sandwiching themselves into the middle. Itís fairly piny, but not in a hop-derived manner. Also sneaking into the back end are some subtle brett notes. Thereís a good balance between the spice profile and the malts. If the aroma made me think of spring, the flavor makes me think Christmas for whatever reason. Ah well, good brew. M: The initial sweetness is cleaned up nicely on the finish, replaced by a prickly, lively sensation. I like the sweet/dry balance here: the sweetness simply balances out some of the potential harshness an overly dry finish could have created. Carbonation is very high, but thatís expected from a saison. O: This one doesnít blow me away, however itís an easily drinkable brew thatís also mildly complex. Iíd gladly drink this again.

sparrowreed (1) - - MAR 14, 2015 does not count
This was suburb! Love the spice! Excellent stat and finish. Nice aroma and the label really is dramatic. It made me really want to try the beer!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jayb0 (1077) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - MAR 5, 2015
Nice bottle, great story, decent but overrated beer. For all that gos into this I found it sort of one-dimensional, malty and spicy, perhaps too much chamomile? I donít know, but for the ABV I was hoping for something with a bit more going on.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Idiosynkrasie (4531) - Bielefeld, GERMANY - FEB 24, 2015
750ml (unlabelled) bottle [hasnít this version been brewed at Hof Ten Dormaal? - I might be mistaken]. Clear, copper colour with average, frothy, half-way lasting, minimally lacing, off-white head. Wowhowa! Fantastic fresh, fruity and herbal aroma, notes of different types of tea, hibiscus, rooibos, rose hip, mallow, chamomile, lavender, a touch of thyme and dandelion, some citrus. Taste delivers the same plethora of flavours with different emphasis, is less fruity overall, dry and minimally soapy, additional cinnamon and dandelion note in the finish. Very nice composition, close to really spectacular.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bobaidan (522) - Southington, Connecticut, USA - FEB 22, 2015
Absolutely fantastic Saison. Pours cloudy gold with a small head. Aroma is fruity with a hint of horse blanket. Flavor is sweet, but well balanced with a lot of fruit (apple) up front and just a hint of hop.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mgajdaczewa (746) - Katowice, POLAND - FEB 17, 2015
W aromacie belgijskie fenole, białe owoce, lekka kwaskowość, świetny! W smaku coś na przecięciu tripla (spora słodowość, fenole) i sour ale (kwaskowość, lekka derka) i saisona (owoce i zioła). Genialnie skomponowane, niemały alkohol świetnie ukryty, pijalne i pełne. Świetne piwo!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
radiomgb (2460) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 13, 2015
355ml bottle from Premier Gourmet in Buffalo, New York. Golden yellow in colour with a thin quickly dissipating white head, little lacing. The aroma is of toasted malts, yeast, coriander, floral. The flavour is lightly spicy, grainy, some noticeable alcohol, some malty sweetness. Finishes lightly bitter, long.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Countbeer (5034) - Best of E-Town mit ein Brauhaus, NETHERLANDS - FEB 13, 2015
So I saw this bottle in a store, thought that it would be interesting, since the label clearly mentioned Stillwater Artisanal. Upon reading the label I couldnít help myself but being happy itís a Saison. Checking Ratebeer I see itís not labeled as a Saison but as a Spice/Herb/Vegetable and thought "Oh no, here we go again". Luckily with opening the bottle I immediately understand why itís labeled like this: a force that has many spices combined, kicked my nose and made it difficult for me to make the next step and put the glass to my mouth and taste the beer. Shitload of spices: cinnamon, cloves, ginger, canít detect much else besides spices. Luckily itís not that terrible, but inviting isnít either a good way to describe it. The flavour is again renarkable spiced and has a serious soap tone. What the fuck is this. Soapy spiced Saison? The creamy head and hazy brown beer canít change my mind about this beer. Even though the mouthfeel is light creamy and has low carbo I couldnít finish more than balf a glass... Sorry, I love spices but seldomly in my beer! And put it on your label that a beer contains so many spices so I know I can leave it on the shelf! Pity...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Stuu666 (5538) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - FEB 13, 2015
Keg at spitfire. Pours hazy pale amber orange, nose is herbal, funky, taste is dry, light funk, herbal finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
chinchill (2621) - South Carolina, USA - FEB 11, 2015
12 ounce 2014 bottle into pilsner glass. Pours slightly hazy pale gold color with a small dense white head. Good retention and a nice lacing coats the glass upon tipping. Aroma: tart, yeasty and fruity with a complex mix of herbal spicing. Some biscuity, pale malt notes. Light banana, chamomile, and light funk Taste: Notably flavorful. Flowers and citrus standout. Light spices, green apple, white grapes, light banana, chamomile, white pepper, faint hay, light yeasty bread and a slight funkiness. High complexity. A nice light mix of flavors linger on a while after the finish. Feel: Medium carbonation and body; crisp, Alcohol is only partly hidden with some warming present. Overall: a good and quite interesting herbal spiced saison. Complex yet well balanced. I didnít love this but am happy to have had a bottle and can easily see some fans of farmhouse ales loving it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
daniele (6150) - ITALY - FEB 9, 2015
bottle oro schiuma media discreta persistenza spezia floreale rinfrescante lieve nota maltata poco amara