overall

RATINGS: 355   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
For the first edition of the Stillwater Import Series I traveled to the village of Beerzel, located in the Antwerp province of Belgium. Here I teamed up with brewmaster Jef Goetelen to craft an authentic Belgian version of my liquid interpretation of the Spring season. A recipe originally contrived a few years prior as a collaboration brew with my good friend Paul Kretzer. The base is German barley & wheat, with a touch of Belgian aromatic; accented with grassy hops and an array of spring botanicals (heather, chamomile, lavender, & dandelion). Like a fresh meadow in spring. (now currently brewed at Two Roads in CT)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hackobock (2244) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - MAY 9, 2015
May 9, 2015. Bottle at home.
Clear golden with a medium sized white head, Aroma is floral and perfume like with lavender, chamomile, honey, ginger, grass and citrus. Taste is sweet malty and honey like, floral and spicy aftertaste, very soft bitterness. Medium bodied, soft to average carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mark_Eck (1226) - - APR 24, 2015
Draft. Pours a lightly cloudy golden color. Aroma and taste are lavender and grass.

sparrowreed (1) - - MAR 14, 2015 does not count
This was suburb! Love the spice! Excellent stat and finish. Nice aroma and the label really is dramatic. It made me really want to try the beer!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jayb0 (1097) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - MAR 5, 2015
Nice bottle, great story, decent but overrated beer. For all that gos into this I found it sort of one-dimensional, malty and spicy, perhaps too much chamomile? I donít know, but for the ABV I was hoping for something with a bit more going on.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Idiosynkrasie (5026) - Bielefeld, GERMANY - FEB 24, 2015
750ml (unlabelled) bottle [hasnít this version been brewed at Hof Ten Dormaal? - I might be mistaken]. Clear, copper colour with average, frothy, half-way lasting, minimally lacing, off-white head. Wowhowa! Fantastic fresh, fruity and herbal aroma, notes of different types of tea, hibiscus, rooibos, rose hip, mallow, chamomile, lavender, a touch of thyme and dandelion, some citrus. Taste delivers the same plethora of flavours with different emphasis, is less fruity overall, dry and minimally soapy, additional cinnamon and dandelion note in the finish. Very nice composition, close to really spectacular.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bobaidan (529) - Southington, Connecticut, USA - FEB 22, 2015
Absolutely fantastic Saison. Pours cloudy gold with a small head. Aroma is fruity with a hint of horse blanket. Flavor is sweet, but well balanced with a lot of fruit (apple) up front and just a hint of hop.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mgajdaczewa (958) - Katowice, POLAND - FEB 17, 2015
W aromacie belgijskie fenole, białe owoce, lekka kwaskowość, świetny! W smaku coś na przecięciu tripla (spora słodowość, fenole) i sour ale (kwaskowość, lekka derka) i saisona (owoce i zioła). Genialnie skomponowane, niemały alkohol świetnie ukryty, pijalne i pełne. Świetne piwo!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
radiomgb (2522) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 13, 2015
355ml bottle from Premier Gourmet in Buffalo, New York. Golden yellow in colour with a thin quickly dissipating white head, little lacing. The aroma is of toasted malts, yeast, coriander, floral. The flavour is lightly spicy, grainy, some noticeable alcohol, some malty sweetness. Finishes lightly bitter, long.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Countbeer (5337) - Best of E-Town mit 2 Brauhausen, NETHERLANDS - FEB 13, 2015
So I saw this bottle in a store, thought that it would be interesting, since the label clearly mentioned Stillwater Artisanal. Upon reading the label I couldnít help myself but being happy itís a Saison. Checking Ratebeer I see itís not labeled as a Saison but as a Spice/Herb/Vegetable and thought "Oh no, here we go again". Luckily with opening the bottle I immediately understand why itís labeled like this: a force that has many spices combined, kicked my nose and made it difficult for me to make the next step and put the glass to my mouth and taste the beer. Shitload of spices: cinnamon, cloves, ginger, canít detect much else besides spices. Luckily itís not that terrible, but inviting isnít either a good way to describe it. The flavour is again renarkable spiced and has a serious soap tone. What the fuck is this. Soapy spiced Saison? The creamy head and hazy brown beer canít change my mind about this beer. Even though the mouthfeel is light creamy and has low carbo I couldnít finish more than balf a glass... Sorry, I love spices but seldomly in my beer! And put it on your label that a beer contains so many spices so I know I can leave it on the shelf! Pity...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Stuu666 (6779) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - FEB 13, 2015
Keg at spitfire. Pours hazy pale amber orange, nose is herbal, funky, taste is dry, light funk, herbal finish.