Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 653   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Itís a saison of sorts; hellaciously herbaceous and hopefully contagious. This was not a ready made ale. But it is a ready made collaboration. Meaning Stone and Victory are 2 breweries that are exactly like Dogfish in that they do/brew exactly what they love and they do/brew it exactly like no other brewery out there. (Love - lots of it in this bottle)

-Samuel A Calagione

Ale brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
scotchzi (302) - Florida, USA - JUN 17, 2010
Wasnt as great as I had hoped for from some of the three top micro brewers in the US. Sorry having said that i now feel like a dick. It was great! Saison great? No. It wasnt what i was expecting. It had none of the normal great saison sourness. It barely had that normall saison sweetness, but what it did have was a basil and sage wafting aroma. I think the basil smell came from the hops and parsley. The taste had the earthiness of a great saison. Then I got hit with all the herb flavorings. Rosemary stuck out first. Then sage with that nice xmasy feel. Then a lingering hoppy bitter flavor and a strange great weird Italian seasoning pack flavor. Once again saiason? great beer? Yes!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
cpetrone84 (1810) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 16, 2010
A-pours a slightly hazy straw colored beer with a nice tight off white head with a great lace. S-different, tons of rosemary and sage on this, lots of herbal spices. notes of citrus and a touch of honey towards the back. T-not really a fan, so much spice in this, the rosemary and sage really come through. probably thyme in there but not sure what that tastes like. pepper spice as well, notes of lemon and honey with a light lingering bitterness. M-syrupy texture, medium body, reasonably smooth, lots of carbonation and a good crisp finish. D-the spice is insane in this and lingers for quite some time. it is actually a little weird and I just donít think it works for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MrBunn (2738) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 16, 2010
Bottle. Pours an orangey gold with a big head at first and green herbal aromas. Parsley seems to lead the charge, both in aromas and flavor, which is odd and I see why parsley beer never really took off as a major craft brew movement. Itís not a horrendous disaster, but I donít think that this is something Iíll be quick to try again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
nixon66 (2) - Washington, USA - JUN 16, 2010 does not count
Fist official "rating" here, but this is one of the more unique beers Iíve enjoyed. Very pungent herbal aroma. With itís Simon and Garfunkel theme of additions you get the sage and rosemary tinges right away, and it is a smooth lively sip. The herbal notes stay on your tongue for a while after the sip and it fills the mouth for a bit after the sip, but itís not distracting at all. Iíd love to enjoy this beer while having some Rosemary Lamb roast, and potatoes. I feel it would do quite well with that meal.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
amarcero (24) - , Vermont, USA - JUN 16, 2010
Really nice. The most unique and well done beer Iíve had for quite some time, by far my favorite from Stone/Dogfish ... I like Victoryís Prima Pils just as much. Definitely lots of sage from what I taste. I wish there was more carbonation like a Du Pont, but itís still real nice. I wonder if not filtering would have done the beer justice? It may have added even more to an already quite palate fulfilling beer. Overall, the aroma is incredible. This brew has renewed my acceptance of spiced beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cirrhosis (1283) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 16, 2010
Light honey brown body with slight haze. WOW!!! WTF!!! What is this wacked out aroma?!?!?!? So many different things going on here. Sage I think I notice most and thyme is a close second and I swear Iím hitting lemon and ginger type aromas to. I canít stop smelling this it so odd, I can smell this all night long and not get sick of it. There are so many different flavors going on in here, so many strong herbs it like liquid stove top stuffing but there is also a big hop presence that helps balance it out. Taste comes across fairly sweet and has a bitter lemon hop finish. The bitter linger on the palate for a very long thymeÖÖ..get it thymeÖÖas in the spiceÖ..because I really mean timeÖÖ..they sound close to the same. Where I thought the aroma was yummy and unique even though the flavor is very similar it doesnít have the same effect on me, I really donít think I could ever drink more than one of these in a month and Iím glad I split this one. Interesting brew Iím glad I had a chance to try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Elwood (3336) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - JUN 16, 2010
Serving: 12 oz. bottle from Fireworks.
It pours a light yellow gold color with a nice, foamy white head. Decent head retention. The nose is very herbal. No, not with hops, with actual herbs. Lots of rosemary and sage with the thyme and parsley in the back. Light notes of hay and yeast too, abet subdued compared to most saisons. The flavor is a great mix of what I would consider a strong saison and a judicious use of herbs. The flavor is more in your face than a typical saison, but not overwhelming. The sage really comes through and the parsley adds a nice "green" touch. All of those herbal flavors play well with the hay and yeast notes in the saison. Interesting that they chose to filter this one. I would have guessed that leaving the yeast would have added yet another layer of complexity. Still, they have certainly done right with this brew. Light to medium in body with soft carbonation leading to a short, herbal finish. Definitely different for a saison, but well worth seeking out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
trevor211 (1631) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 15, 2010
This is one crazy brew. If the handwritten note from Sam Calagione silkscreened on the back wasnít enough, an ale brewed with all four of the Scarborough Fair herbs was bound to pique interest. And pique it did. Pours a light, transparent honey amber with a pillowy head. Those herbs are right up front on the nose, adding a kick to an already hoppy saison. Thereís a lot of sweetness in the flavor that wasnít apparent in the aroma - a mild honey/caramel note under the pungent herbs. Really intriguing, and very well executed (no surprise, given the three collaborators). Not something Iíd seek out often, but Iím certainly glad I tried it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
craftycarl21 (2338) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 15, 2010
Pours a slightly hazy golden pour with a decent sized white head. Aroma holds great citrus hop, herbal notes including heavy thyme and rosemary, and that awesome spicy yeast characteristic of a good saison. Flavor is very heavy on the herb, particularly rosemary, along with citrus and more yeast. Great palate, tasty but drinkable. Awesome brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
notalush (5732) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2010
I was hoping that, since Victory had a hand in making this beer, that there would at least be a little respect for the style here - and even if it didnít turn out to be "traditional," I was hoping I would like it none-the-less, considering the fact that I live a lot of saisons that diverge drastically from the style, such as NG Saison, and anything Fantome makes (as long as there was something I like out of a saison within the beer to admire) - sadly, neither of these turned out to be the case - this beer is a god damned travesty - Iím not even sure they used an appropriate yeast here, but it doesnít really matter, because all I can taste is a mouthful of muddled herbal character and harsh, aspirin-like bitterness - it tastes like I am chugging a lotion tester at Bath and Body Works at times - rough, crackery malts - characteristic Stone hop flavor actually saves this beer somewhat near the end - take me back to Scarborough Fair.