overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 608   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
Itís a saison of sorts; hellaciously herbaceous and hopefully contagious. This was not a ready made ale. But it is a ready made collaboration. Meaning Stone and Victory are 2 breweries that are exactly like Dogfish in that they do/brew exactly what they love and they do/brew it exactly like no other brewery out there. (Love - lots of it in this bottle)

-Samuel A Calagione

Ale brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

delirium11 (28) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 10, 2010
Just had the Stone batch. Great head retention with a nice golden color that was slightly hazy. Had a strong sage smell to it, but not too spicy going down, very smooth and dry. I finished my glass without even realizing it; the hallmark of a great beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Bludwig (31) - USA - MAY 19, 2010
I have not rated a saison on this forum yet. I havenít even read the other ratings on saisons, because I think it would break my heart to realize what the average American beer drinker thinks about complex and interesting beer. With that said, I do believe we now have an event worth talking about: Victory, Dogfish Head and Stone have collaborated! Itís a saison! With all this said, I must say that this is an event Iíve personally been waiting for, for quite some time. Aroma: Oysters, cat piss and pine needles, literally. I would usually spare the good folks of rate beer my graphic definitions of smell, but this beer demands an explanation. The ocean beckons to me in the nose; salt air in the pine forest as I walk out to gather bushels of mollusks from the sandy beaches! Home! This beer took me home! With some more whiffs and exploration Iíve pinpointed a specific citrus thatís capturing my olfactory interest and I would have to say bravo Stone for having the knowledge in hops to create such an experience. Appearance: I am a fan of head. This beer had some initial head but quickly faded into the lacy middle with foamy outskirts, an appearance most are used to seeing from forced carbonated ales in America. The color is pleasantly amber/golden, but I do wish with all of the attention to detail this beer had, why isnít it bottle conditioned!? Taste/Palate: Pepper, ginger, candy citron and a smooth, super dry hop finish. This ale is so complex itís hard to pin down. I give it time to reveal its secrets and more unusual flavors are revealed! A very present spine of grapefruit has definitely emerged throughout the entire experience, but there is a strong hop presence to combine with the grapefruit to add acidity and balance. The beer wants to scream fruity fun but restrains itself into a refreshing ale of great character. Overall: Why donít more breweries collaborate? If youíre New Belgium I understand, thereís no bling bling in it. For everyone else, thereís only creativity and expanding the culture of beer. I donít think everyone will be able to even get a hold of this beauty, but if you do cherish it for what it is and what it means!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
scotchzi (302) - Florida, USA - JUN 17, 2010
Wasnt as great as I had hoped for from some of the three top micro brewers in the US. Sorry having said that i now feel like a dick. It was great! Saison great? No. It wasnt what i was expecting. It had none of the normal great saison sourness. It barely had that normall saison sweetness, but what it did have was a basil and sage wafting aroma. I think the basil smell came from the hops and parsley. The taste had the earthiness of a great saison. Then I got hit with all the herb flavorings. Rosemary stuck out first. Then sage with that nice xmasy feel. Then a lingering hoppy bitter flavor and a strange great weird Italian seasoning pack flavor. Once again saiason? great beer? Yes!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jstraw (1928) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 3, 2010
Hazy gold with big, foamy, white head / Nose of fruit, herb, and spice / Medium body, malty and creamy but with excellent, bitter, finish / Flavors of banana, orange peel, resin, dry hops, and subtle herb (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme) / Superb, a surprisingly effective combination.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
AllHailAle (1) - USA - AUG 13, 2010 does not count
An amazingly aromatic brew. The unique components of this beer are instantly recognizable in the aroma. The appearance is slightly hazy and golden. Sage and rosemary come through fairly strong in the taste. Overall, a GREAT and unique beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Alexus (240) - Stavanger, NORWAY - JUN 13, 2012
Shared bottle with friends. Pours a great golden color with a nice white head. Packed aromas of clean herbs and nice saison yeast. Great body. Complex tastes. Again clean herbs mixed with a great saison. Canít describe this one good enough. Youíll have to try it for yourself! ;-)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dhunter151 (563) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JAN 28, 2013
One of the best Saisons. Very refreshing. Hints of thyme and rosemary come through. Not as earthy as other Saisons which is a good thing. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
amarcero (24) - , Vermont, USA - JUN 16, 2010
Really nice. The most unique and well done beer Iíve had for quite some time, by far my favorite from Stone/Dogfish ... I like Victoryís Prima Pils just as much. Definitely lots of sage from what I taste. I wish there was more carbonation like a Du Pont, but itís still real nice. I wonder if not filtering would have done the beer justice? It may have added even more to an already quite palate fulfilling beer. Overall, the aroma is incredible. This brew has renewed my acceptance of spiced beers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MereLikesBeer (195) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - SEP 6, 2010
This beer is wonderful. I shared a bottle of this with my husband, BeerBaron617, last night, and it was almost divine. For the style, A+, for all of beer kind, A. Honestly, I donít know how you can get too much better than this. It was incredibly balanced and refreshing. Itís a lovely apricot/peach yellow hue in the glass with a tight white head. Smells fruity of the previously mentioned fruits, as well as some light floral aromas - possibly orange blossom...lightly grassy/reedy, and overall refreshing to the nose. High carbonation when it hits the tongue, mild mouth feel, and quite refreshing - go on, take another sip, gulp it down for that matter, itís delicious.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JohnCoctosin (37) - California, USA - JUN 6, 2011
Milky golden color. Tremendous power behind this for such a light beer. Flavors of honey, melon and ginger. Very floral aroma. Amazing beer from three amazing breweries.