Stone 02.02.02 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 95   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. Vertical Epic 02/02/02 was not brewed "to style". Instead, we tried to create something new. It's triple-ish in nature, with wit character, coriander and orange peel, and has way more hops than either a Belgian triple or a Wit would. Belgian yeast was used. Belgian Strong Ale is the closest category that fits -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing CEO. In addition, we are pleased to provide the homebrewing recipe: http://stonebrew.com/timeline/020202

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
skoisirius (1634) - Earth, Washington, USA - FEB 15, 2007
22 oz bottle into a Snifter glass. Pours a completely clear yellow golden color with basically no head whatsoever. The aroma brings out a very honeyish sweet malt characteristic along with a very doughy banana sense. Flavor has a rich manderine sense to it at first moving into a grapefruity hopped and slightly bitter finish. Very doughy. Feels like silk on the palate there is so little carbonation. Flavors are very mellow after five years. After hearing mainly poor things about this guy, I was pleasantly surprised. I donít seem to be as impressed as most of the rest of you for some reason though. Kind of leaves a sourness on the palate after the finish. Doubt it will hold well in any condition until 2012!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - NOV 8, 2002
First a ramble inspired by friend .... while we both admire, enjoy, love? Stone, he pointed out the contradictory factor of calling these "vertical" when a true vertical tasting implies the same brew being laid down so that the comparisons come from the subtle or not so subtle changes that have taken place while the styles in this collection are subject to change. As for this specific one - While I enjoyed it, I like the subtle qualities found in a wit, a triple, and a good hoppy beer. This neither overwhelmed me or overly impressed me. Didnít quite enjoy the combination of coriander with the hops. Donít get me wrong, I am and will remain a great fan of Stone and their experiments and you can count me in on trying the next outing, just not this one again, thanks.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TChrome (1417) - Bedford, Texas, USA - SEP 22, 2003
Beer pours hazy golden with a moderate white head. The head is retained and there appears to be heavy lacing. When I smelled this beer for the first time, I wasn't aware of its categorization. The smell of orange peel and coriander whafted to my nostrils. "This smell like a Belgian ale" I thought. Low and behold, it is a Belgian. Flavor rivals the best American belgian styles, although there is a bit of a twang in the finish that I will put down as the hops Stone is famous for. Delicious yeast strain.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lagunitasfan (1313) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 15, 2009
200th rating for me. Thought this was appropriate, but also thought of 202. Who cares about the number, this is about the beer. My buddy Mark totally stoked me with this beer, and I owe him big time. I was worried to open this with the group on the 13th, because I was afraid it would be a letdown. Thankfully, this beer was better than I expected. It was hazy amber with no head. Wonderfully alive nose, with vanilla, citrus, wood, wine all wafting out. Taste is creamy, and caramel, pepper bitterness jumps out from hiding. Super complex as it moves around the mouth. YAY!!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - JUN 23, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 24, 2007 Had on tap at stone winter storm í06 out of a 4 oz tasing class. Hazy orange color with nice white head. Aroma sweet and spicy with a lot of hop notes. Body I described as creamy mellowness in my notes... yep... Flavor was very nice, still had a lot of spices in it, orange and bitterness. Thank you to the brewers for breaking out this five gallon treat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 28, 2006
From 22oz Bottle. Suprisingly lively hiss upon opening the bottle. Hazy golden pour with a healthy serving of frothy white head. Perfumy aroma of honey, banana, and a doughy cardamon spice. Intriguing citrusy hop characters add a sweet tangerine dimension to the bouquet as well. Medium bodied, silky mouthfeel with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very floral and creamy body with a baked cookie quality. Some more yeasty spice comes out and finishes with some more of the orange sweetness found in the nose. Many thanks to Rem for being the hostess with the mostest.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JUN 12, 2007
Enjoyed at NoogFest III. JohnC is the MAN for bringing this one! I love the Noog! Pours hazy orange with some sediment with a light white head. Iíll note that the sediment was likely from the trip from the west coast and Iím sure it would have settled given time. Sweet Belgian citrus greats your nose, orange and refreshing. I really did not notice any spice, itís really just a bright smelling brew. Very flavorful with tons of orange and spiced fruit and a caramel finish that is lingering. Good stuff. Very nice body that is well carbonated, medium, and wet. Much more like a suped up Wit than a Belgian strong. I very much enjoyed this and will be brewing my own directly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 15, 2002
PyschProf dug this triumphantly out of his cellar after weíd had a few, but not so many that we couldnít appreciate the intense complexity of this brew. A rage of cloves and allspice, coriander and carroty stuff - sweet and powerful and very, very fine. Whew. If the sweetness ever disippates with age, this could be THE beer for the ages. As it is, it is one of the finest lighter Belgians Iíve ever experienced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hapjydeuce (932) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 18, 2009
Bomber shared by LagunitasFan, sampled at J&Jís Friday the 13th Tasting at WeeHeavySDís place. Thanks a ton for sharing this! I never thought I would see one of these bottles! Pours a still hazy gold color with no signs of carbonation. Aroma is a mix of white grape, orange citrus, and a touch of bubblegum. Lightly oxidized but pleasantly sweet flavor with orange peel. Seems like it held up after all this time. Thanks again Tim, this was a real treat to try!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dalekliz (873) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 12, 2012
Bottle, shared at Brendanís 12/12/12 party! Pours a clear orange-yellow with bubbles and no head. Spicy aroma, of coriander, orange peel, yeast, sugar. Taste is quite sweet, hops are almost gone, with lots of candied orange peel, spices, caramel, and honey. Lingering citrus spice. Still has a bite. Has aged pretty well.