overall

RATINGS: 117   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. Vertical Epic 02/02/02 was not brewed "to style". Instead, we tried to create something new. Itís triple-ish in nature, with wit character, coriander and orange peel, and has way more hops than either a Belgian triple or a Wit would. Belgian yeast was used. Belgian Strong Ale is the closest category that fits -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing CEO. In addition, we are pleased to provide the homebrewing recipe: http://stonebrew.com/timeline/020202
In 2002 we began our groundbreaking, millennium-inspired series with Stone 02.02.02 Vertical Epic Ale. This bumped up Belgian-style witómade all the more alluring thanks to an infusion of orange peel, coriander, a sprinkling of black pepper and a healthy dose of Centennial hopsówas a bright way to begin this epic eleven-part vertical tasting.

Grovlam (4207) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 26, 2008
Bottle. [Sk8viking great American blind tasting] Huge bubbly white head that mostly diminished. Spare display of lacework. Light hazy looking orange yellow color. Aroma of ginger, coriander, fruit, caramelized. Over the palate came mild alcoholic and herbal feel with a nice touch of hops. Full bodied with an average carbonation and light dry and alcoholic texture. Moderated sweet and light bitter flavor. Lingering ginger and fruity alcoholic finish.

Ungstrup (34308) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - JUL 27, 2008
Bottled. An unclear golden beer with sediment floating around under a thin white head. The aroma is very sweet with strong notes of fruit - especially peaches and oranges as well as a note of alcohol. The flavor is sweet with dusty notes of hops and strong notes of fruit - especially peaches. The alcohol burns the tongue. Huge thanks Sk8viking for sharing this rare beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
WeeHeavySD (3379) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 14, 2009
70th Rating of this brew, shared by LagunitasFan(Tim) at our J&J tasting, I was so damn supremely stoked to try this, I couldnít care if it was maybe past its prime, I just couldnít wait. Tim you are super awesome!!! Pours orange with no head. Nose was sweet and subtle with some faded hops and a touch of wit characteristics. Taste is sweet and citrus and overall very nice, not past its prime in my opinion but then again Iíve never had it before and doubt Iíll ever have it again.

hapjydeuce (997) - Carlsbad, California, USA - FEB 18, 2009
Bomber shared by LagunitasFan, sampled at J&Jís Friday the 13th Tasting at WeeHeavySDís place. Thanks a ton for sharing this! I never thought I would see one of these bottles! Pours a still hazy gold color with no signs of carbonation. Aroma is a mix of white grape, orange citrus, and a touch of bubblegum. Lightly oxidized but pleasantly sweet flavor with orange peel. Seems like it held up after all this time. Thanks again Tim, this was a real treat to try!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 18/20
jmagnus87 (2912) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - OCT 13, 2013
Bottle. From notes. A very generous BA person shared this with me the other day. Big thanks to you sir! Spicy yeast with a little lemon. Awesome, glad I finally got to try this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUN 11, 2006
Bottle. So, imagine my surprise when I went to my corner 7-11 for a refill of my Diet Coke cup, when I walk past the cooler and see this staring back at me! Best $1.99 I ever spent, that is for damn sure. Anyways. Citric nose like dishwashing liquid, almost hazy body, yellow/orange with a lasting medium film of bubbles. Taste-good hops, citric, wheaty, light smoke, light plastic, zesty, good honey with almost a hint of funk. From listening to the masses talk, I figure that this beer would be past, but it isnít. It was quite enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
egajdzis (6100) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 18, 2006
Poured a hazy orange amber color with a medium sized, off white head, that quickly diminished, leaving no lacing on the glass. Aroma of tropical fruits, but really fresh orange comes through, light lemon, a bit of spices, with some yeast, and toffee as well. Taste was sweet, with more apricot, or fresh orange, some sweet red apple, candy sugar, faint spices, some tart citrus fruits, dusty yeast, with light alcohol in the finish. Big thanks to Walt for the vertical!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - AUG 28, 2006
Poured a clear goden color with a small white head. Malty aroma with that Belgian yeast smell. Bubble gum, sugar and floral notes. A hint of alcohol as well. The flavor seemed on the light side and started out dull, which having this for the first time I can only assume it is from age. Floral flavors came in followed by light maltiness. Some warmth in the throat. Body was on the small side but decent. I was suprised overall. I didnít know what to expect and found this to be very nice indeed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
decaturstevo (5779) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - SEP 10, 2006
Thanks Goldtwins for the opportunity to sample this beer and what a way to start a tasting. An aroma of furit/spice and yeast. A hazy orangish pour. A fruity flavor with a nice even slight bitter finish. Iím just glad I had this early and could mull it over for a good 20 minutes. Thanks again Goldtwins

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 28, 2006
Thanks to Landseer for sharing this one. I thought I would never be able to sample this one. Pours hazy golden with a frothy white head, spotty lacing. Medium light mouthfeel and soft carbonation, but still bold in flavor. Aroma of honey, banana, and yeast. Flavor cloves, coriander, wheat malt, and earthy belgian funk. Medium dry finish with some hints of white pepper. Very nice, and easy to drink. So far, this has held up. I also like that this was not a huge, thick, and alcoholic. Very subtle but strong beer. Well done Greg.