Stone 03.03.03 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 414   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. With Vertical Epic 03/03/03, we used some pretty interesting ingredients...coriander (a "Belgian-style" beer favorite!), alligator pepper (wow, bite into these little gems and you get a bigtime spicy rush of flavor), and a bit of both unmalted wheat and dark roasted wheat. And a blend of Belgian yeast and American ale yeast. And a nice selection of high alpha hops (a decidedly non-Belgian style twist). All told it makes for a dubble-ish taken-to-San-Diego-pushed-to-the-edge-and-slapped-around-a-bit beer. So, treat it gently. It's been abused enough already. Store it upright, cool and in the dark. It would enjoy a nice long rest. It will have plenty of patience. Now let's see about you . . . . In addition, we are pleased to provide the homebrewing recipe: http://stonebrew.com/timeline/030303

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - MAY 9, 2003
Burgandy and rich brown color,smell reminds me of tropical fruits, pepper and spice. It tastes of pepper,spicy and malty with lots of sugar. Refreshing

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aracauna (3189) - Georgia, USA - MAY 9, 2003
Me gusta. I really wish I had two bottle so I could age the other one to see how it changed with age. But I'm really wondering if it would be any better with age. The appearance is just a little too brown to be ruby and the cascading bubbles almost look like golden flakes. The head is a very pale tan but forms easily and holds up nicely. Coriander is definitely evident up front as well as a peppery aroma. A bit of orange pulp wafts up as well. The flavor continues with the coriander and the pepper becomes stronger. Oddly they didn't use real pepper this time around. I guess the grains of paradise are aptly nicknamed "Alligator Pepper." Under the caramel cake malt, I'm picking up the faintest hint of banana. I'm actually a bit surprised that Stone made a beer so unabashedly not hoppy. Sure they used high alpha hops in the boil, but I'm not picking them up at all. They blend into the overall mix nicely. Very balanced, but big flavored beer. I'm actually surprised the beer is getting such low ratings here. Maybe something as subtle as a dunkel wit made by Stone throws people off, but I really like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 4, 2003
Yeasty aroma with dark malts and spice. Color is a deep dark brown, taste is quite peppery up front with malty middle and a dry finish. Not overly sweet. Might get better with age.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jazz88 (2583) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 2, 2003
Bottle. A dark brown color with a foamy brown head. The aroma has malts, pepper spice, candy, and cinnamon. Full bodied with plenty of malt and pepper in the flavor. I was not impressed with this beer when I first tried it, but the subtleness of it is growing on me with time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
3fourths (8468) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAY 1, 2003
Very dark amber appearance, with a frothy tan head. Smells of heavy sugar, like Koolaid. It's not so fruity, just very sugary, to the point at which it feels gritty on your teeth. Strong first taste, harsh scratchy finish. This stuff is just too sweet to enjoy, but it balances the sugar taste with a honey and bread flavor, which makes it drinkable. The other two bottle I have will be in storage, and so we'll see how it is in a few months of a few years.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - APR 29, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2003 very nutty and herb-like aroma with nice sweet cookie dough back drop, small creamy off white ring around the glass for a head standing atop a beer bottle brown body, nice dark rich burnt malty bitter backbone that keeps the alcohol hidden and the other flavors a little subdued the hops are screamy to get out! i hope this beer ages well i have about 5 in reserve waiting future tastings

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
obxdude10 (2102) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 29, 2003
Very disappointing beer, the aroma was very nice & sweet, very typical Belgian style of a nose, but then the flavors were just plain aweful, I guess maybe I don't have the taste for these kinds of beers that taste like V8 and grinded up veggies, again I was very disappointed in the brew that I was looking forward to trying since it came out

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dogbrick (9113) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 29, 2003
I am hoping I have the patience to get one of each of the V.E. beers to actually do the vertical tasting. This beers pours a solid amber color with a medium beige head. Aroma is spicey and malty at the same time. For some reason when I tasted it I was reminded of one of those god-awful "12 Greatest Brews of the World" monstrosities brewed by Gluek. Some kind of cardboard taste maybe? This wasn't a bad brew but I could not get the comparison out of my head. Finish is hoppy and toasty. Overall the cardboard flavor and general oilyness kind of ruined what is definitely a brew that will improve over time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - APR 28, 2003
Sweet malt aroma, light spice (moderate corriander), light roast, light caramelized sugar (cake/cotton candy). Belgian yeast funk (phenolic?). Sweet flavor with a smooth mouthfeel, light coating left in mouth. Finish is a muddled bitterness with a slight spiciness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 28, 2003
Deep ruby , cloudy , sweet, big malty fruity flavors, some type of berries, finish is slightly bitter. Very enjoyable, can't wait for next years.