Stone 04.04.04 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 527   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around we used some unmalted wheat, just the right touch of Kaffir Lime Leaf, and a really cool Belgian yeast. The result is a bit like a strong Biere de Garde / Saison-esque influenced beer coupled with some aromatic Bavarian Hefeweizen style phenolic banana esters, and a backnote hint of lime from the lime leaf.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - APR 18, 2004
Hazy golden color with a medium white head. Sweet malt, clove, citrus and banana aroma. Clove, banana, lime and citrus hops flavors. Crisp feel. At first, I was getting a very harsh metallic aftertaste about 15 seconds after each sip. It went away after a few minutes. Overall, pretty good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
stevencon (518) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - JAN 30, 2013
From bottle. Gold pour with some sediment. Still carbonated. Honey malt. Malty honey some oxidation present. Lemon lime. Tastes like a mix of flat sprite and a mead.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
spkldhenlvr24 (517) - Newburgh/Buffalo, New York, USA - JUL 30, 2004
Very glad I got this beer. Great floral, grapefruit, spicy aroma. Good deep orange, light amber appearance. Big creamy white head that lasted the entire beer. Pretty impressive. Very complex flavor. Slightly sweet, spicy, little alcohol. Not really too much like a Belgian. Crisp, dry. Great beer. Pumped for the rest.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2004
22 oz bottle. This beer blew me away. Belgian style tripel/saison: lots of grapefruit, flowers, lemon and lime. I’ll keep my eyes open for next year’s concoction.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JAN 8, 2005
Pours with little head and a clear golden body. Aroma is banana and yeast. Initial sweetness in the flavor with some coriander and clove coming in the middle. Finish is alcohol, light fruit, and dry and hoppy. Leaves my mouth feeling salty. I like it. The date of this brew is of significance to me personally therefore I have several more bottles to enjoy in the years to come and as I do I will update this rating.

mspindler (489) - Alta Loma, California, USA - MAR 1, 2009
Bomber that was being passed around at Lost Abbey’s Angels Share release. This was a really interesting one. Poured a golden orange with a small white head. aroma had lots of caramel in it...Guessing this wasn’t intended but is a product of the beers age. either way, it somehow worked because this stuff was great. Loads of fruit, caramel, and breadiness throughout. Surprisingly easy to drink. Medium to full bodied. Wish I could find more.

Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - APR 6, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2007 Burning sunrise with covered by a veil of uniform bubbles. Minimal head if left to sit but easily replenished. Notes of Bubble gum, pineapple and peppery spices in the nose. Thick yeasty notes in the first sip degrading into spice with surprising spikes of juicy-fruit gum. It has a fairly light mouthfeel throughout the drink but thickens after the last sip has been swallowed into a thick tropical fruits and bubble gum. Fruit flavors become more pronounced with the addition of the yeast Very upfront in its flavors, should be interesting to see how this ages. (3.8) rerate june 05 Corriander, juicy-fruit gum, a touch of earthy herbal bitterness is becoming more present. Flavors are not a bright as I remember them and are mellowing nicely.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2004
Hazt amber in color, lighter than the 03.03.03. Foamy, soft bubble head. Unique aroma of flowers and banana. Sweet, sweet and more swwet when tasted. Dry finish. Pretty good, I would like to try agian in about a year.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - MAY 2, 2004
...and two more of these to save for prosparity (I promise to come back with the spellcheck later). The first one I tried in passing, this second one was in celebration of finishing my exams. Anticdote: I brought one of these to a homebrew session with a classmate. A guy there *really* liked this and said he wanted to get a few to enjoy as they further improved. Well, three days later I’m grocery shopping and I see him walk around the corner on his way to his GFs cart with at least five of them under his arms. We all got a good laugh. So, pours a nice amber/orange color with a decent head but not much lacing. Scent is definately Belgian; lots of bananas, cloves... but for style, I gotta say it’s just above average. Taste is par for style. Bananas and other fruits, a hint of hops... Damn, I want to rate this better, but I can’t. Maybe I was expecting better, but it’s just ’good.’ The proclaimed lime is hinted at, but no more. It has some complexity, but nothing supurb yet. Palate is full and creamy, certainly. Overall this is good but not great, although it has promise. I have two more of these and I promise to update as these mature.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - APR 18, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2005 Dark honey color. Very thick white head, almost looked like a nitro pour. Big time banana aroma. Lots of banana and citrus flavors mix it up with bisuity malts. Very sharp finish. Nice hoppy presence throughout. Would pair well with a variety of foods. Will probably be better with a little age, just to take some of the edge off the finish.