Stone 04.04.04 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 519   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around we used some unmalted wheat, just the right touch of Kaffir Lime Leaf, and a really cool Belgian yeast. The result is a bit like a strong Biere de Garde / Saison-esque influenced beer coupled with some aromatic Bavarian Hefeweizen style phenolic banana esters, and a backnote hint of lime from the lime leaf.

Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - APR 6, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2007 Burning sunrise with covered by a veil of uniform bubbles. Minimal head if left to sit but easily replenished. Notes of Bubble gum, pineapple and peppery spices in the nose. Thick yeasty notes in the first sip degrading into spice with surprising spikes of juicy-fruit gum. It has a fairly light mouthfeel throughout the drink but thickens after the last sip has been swallowed into a thick tropical fruits and bubble gum. Fruit flavors become more pronounced with the addition of the yeast Very upfront in its flavors, should be interesting to see how this ages. (3.8) rerate june 05 Corriander, juicy-fruit gum, a touch of earthy herbal bitterness is becoming more present. Flavors are not a bright as I remember them and are mellowing nicely.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2004
Hazt amber in color, lighter than the 03.03.03. Foamy, soft bubble head. Unique aroma of flowers and banana. Sweet, sweet and more swwet when tasted. Dry finish. Pretty good, I would like to try agian in about a year.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - MAY 2, 2004
...and two more of these to save for prosparity (I promise to come back with the spellcheck later). The first one I tried in passing, this second one was in celebration of finishing my exams. Anticdote: I brought one of these to a homebrew session with a classmate. A guy there *really* liked this and said he wanted to get a few to enjoy as they further improved. Well, three days later Iím grocery shopping and I see him walk around the corner on his way to his GFs cart with at least five of them under his arms. We all got a good laugh. So, pours a nice amber/orange color with a decent head but not much lacing. Scent is definately Belgian; lots of bananas, cloves... but for style, I gotta say itís just above average. Taste is par for style. Bananas and other fruits, a hint of hops... Damn, I want to rate this better, but I canít. Maybe I was expecting better, but itís just ígood.í The proclaimed lime is hinted at, but no more. It has some complexity, but nothing supurb yet. Palate is full and creamy, certainly. Overall this is good but not great, although it has promise. I have two more of these and I promise to update as these mature.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 10, 2005
Pours a clear golden orange with a quickly dissapating head, good lace. The aromas are of clove, banana, orange citric hops and some belgian yeast. The taste is interesting for a belgian strong ale citric hops, bananas, some lime, sweet, cloves. A different interperatation of the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - APR 18, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2005 Dark honey color. Very thick white head, almost looked like a nitro pour. Big time banana aroma. Lots of banana and citrus flavors mix it up with bisuity malts. Very sharp finish. Nice hoppy presence throughout. Would pair well with a variety of foods. Will probably be better with a little age, just to take some of the edge off the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - AUG 11, 2004
Now I like what stone has done with this guy. This beer has a lot of interesting flavor twists to it. Golden color with a small head and low to medium carbonation. Fruity and spicy, with a nice alcohol presence. On the sweeter side. Very easy to drink. Interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
stevencon (464) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 30, 2013
From bottle. Gold pour with some sediment. Still carbonated. Honey malt. Malty honey some oxidation present. Lemon lime. Tastes like a mix of flat sprite and a mead.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 5, 2006
How could this night become any more epic on beer number 36? Answer: Vertical Epic 04-04-04. My first taste of a brew from Stone. Crazy stuff. This is all over the place. The maddening offspring from the marriage of a saison and hefe. Alcoholic. Phenols. Cracked pepper. Dude, whereís my car? (Donít worry; I had a designated driver.)

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
mribm (458) - Ocala, Florida, USA - AUG 22, 2004
Smells like dirty socks rubbed in bananas. Tastes like dirty socks might taste with some added bananas. Not a very pleasant tasting beer. Never again!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Goldorak (439) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 1, 2005
Troubled pale orange, the head was pretty frail.
Lemon pepper at first, but then this strange aroma that Iíve never detected in a Beer before. It was hard to describe, soapy lavander is the best I can come up with. Maybe crushed szechuan pepper, but with an added perfume that made me think of that time I went to a Persian restaurant, the desserts were perfumed with rosewater and other flowers.
Matching the aroma, the flavors were like some strange concoction a holistic healer would make out of whatever weird herbs, magic powders and air freshener he had laying around his house (aka the Van down by the river). It had a taste of flowers and flour! It was quite complicated, and honestly, I canít even give you a verdict if I liked it or not. This truly is a case where giving this Beer a score is pointless for me, because the taste is something absolutely new to me and my brain is still processing it, trying to associate it with something and coming up with nada. I think at first my reaction wasnít too favorable (I would have given it a 3), but now a few days have past and Iíd be willing to try it again, just to see how I would react to a second dose (I would have gone up to 4).