Stone 04.04.04 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 513   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around we used some unmalted wheat, just the right touch of Kaffir Lime Leaf, and a really cool Belgian yeast. The result is a bit like a strong Biere de Garde / Saison-esque influenced beer coupled with some aromatic Bavarian Hefeweizen style phenolic banana esters, and a backnote hint of lime from the lime leaf.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
mribm (457) - Ocala, Florida, USA - AUG 22, 2004
Smells like dirty socks rubbed in bananas. Tastes like dirty socks might taste with some added bananas. Not a very pleasant tasting beer. Never again!!!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
kramer (4866) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 22, 2012
Bottle. Pours a clear bright gold body with a thin fizzy white head that faded pretty quickly. The nose is just as oxidized as the first two, which is to say plenty. No noticeable spice notes as far as the lime goes, though there may be a touch of yeast. The flavor is pretty poor, very thin and oxidized, though its a bit more drinkable than the first two. A little bit of alcohol on the finish and a little sweetness. Still not something that youd want to drink a bottle of by yourself. Mouthfeel is thin and watery with light fizzy carbonation. Another clunker, that makes three in a row. Nothing even remotely resembling the commercial description left here.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
cheap (3972) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2012
I write this review for all of the Stone Vertical Epics from 333 -999 but the numerical ratings of each are different. I pen this review reflecting on my tremendous respect for Horny Devil James the supplier of these brews, Justin Lithy the ratebeerian who supplied the locale, Ben london101 for his VE comments and Beerman6686 Dan - for the interesting insights. Prior to this RB Pittsburgh December 2012 Post Apocalyptic Beer Tasting, I could have cared less for some happy BS vertical beers. However, James and Justin, by providing carefully guided beer experiences, which adjusted the stereo typical stigma that I held about such beers, and there numerical family. After I saw James immediately pour a bottle of 333 down the drain, after we all had a sample was not only breathtaking, but it I had to pinch myself to make sure it wasnt a dream. I was cautiously thinking to myself, without speaking out loud, about my cheapness, that I would have drank that whole bottle, if it was one of my singular tasking sessions. Perhaps I would have got sick, who knows. Well, for the ratings, they all were rather old, musty and tasted about the same, except the 777. The triple 3 was a dark, flat, old, rude, coors cardboard and bitter; fer sure. The 444 had a somewhat volatile spicy smell and looked like pale lager. Of course, it come across rather old too. The 555 was a dark beer. It had some decent co2 for a change. Bitter initially, then mellowed. However, I found more it acceptable than most IPA. The devil #666 was just that. Dark pour with a decent head. Smell is a little tart, pretty good olfactory. Some co2 on the palate. Not as bad as the first 3 VEs. 777 was the best of the bunch, again a darker ale. Smell is acceptable. Really strong taste but did not have many of those negative old beer thing attributes. Lots of CO2 which makes this more fun IMHO the best of the bunch fer sure. I thought it was because it was the newest, but modified my impression after having the 888 & 999. With the 888 pour is pale yellah. It must be a strong ale & the medicinal bitterness is quite high. Finish is back of throat bitter bite that goes on for quite a while. And lastly the 999. Seems much older in personality that the 444-888. Actually, I get the impressions of an old barley wine on the nose. Strong & rude. A little over the top fer sure. Does not hide alky what so ever. Not the best VE Ive ever head, heheh. There you have it; VE ratings from a VE newbee.