Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 452   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around, we used no spices in the brewing of this beer. If you've tasted the beer before reading this, that may surprise you. The special Belgian yeast we used adds a distinctively spicy aroma and flavor. Roastiness, clove, hops, fruitiness, and those other great and funky phenols abound in the nose. What's in the flavor? You certainly get some dark roasted malts and alcohol overtones. What else? Hints of earthiness, chocolate/cocoa, hop spiciness, maybe even anise, and ... the incredible variety of complexities from the classic brewing ingredients of barley malt, hops, yeast and water, when applied with an artistic brewer's talent never ceases to amaze.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
chadzter (94) - huntsville, Alabama, USA - JAN 28, 2006
Great Beer. Pours with a thick head that thins ot to a dark brown tan color. The beer has a very dark brown color most likely from the chocolate which also gives it a strong sweet chocolate aroma. It has a very smooth and creamy texture. I thought the hops added to this beer giving it a bit of bitterness at the end.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
black95tt (82) - Doylestown, Ohio, USA - OCT 20, 2006
Pours a dark mahogany. Aroma is very spicy with banana and clove. Flavor is slightly roasty with flavors of banana, clove, licorice and other spices. Finish is dry and somewhat bitter. Not my favorite style, but a decent brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ragesaq (71) - Arizona, USA - MAY 8, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2006 Appearance: Nearly opaque dark ruby red, you can just barely see through it if you hold it up in front of a light. A moderate offwhite head, mild lacing. Aroma: A light candied plum, a dash of spices, belgian yeast, light roasted malts. Flavor Profile: Rich but not too thick, structured flavor profile of fruitiness, which is candied plums, bananas and I think dark cherries. A little sweet, but also supported by some matching roasted malts, a little bit of hops and some complimentary sugary chewy belgian yeast. A touch of cocoa and earthiness aftertaste. VERY nice brew. Palate: Thich like all of stones fine brews, weighty, but refrains from going overboard. Iíd put its weight on part with the arrogant bastard. I imagine when this baby ages it will be one of the greatest blended beers ever concocted by the hand of a man.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ojclark (69) - Santa Monica, California, USA - MAY 14, 2005
Phenolic: nutmeg/cloves/banana notes dominate aroma. Translucent dark red/brown with mostly lasting tan head and decent lacing. Spicy flavor: nutmeg, cinammon and clove. Very malty with slight soy sauce overtone. Medium/light carbonation. Oily/slick mouthfeel and a fairly long finish. Aftertaste is an extension of the flavor but with some bitterness added to the mix. Nice, but this should get even better with some bottle age.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SayNoToCoors (65) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - JUN 3, 2005
Wow! Stone does it again! I was very curious to try Stones take on a belgian brew... it turned out damn good! This beer is quite complex and offers a good fruity flavor. The head dicipated quickly, but who really cares. I will try to cellar one, but I donít know if I can (I am very impatient!). The slightly-too-strong alcohol flavor is really the only drawback as far as flavor is concerned. MM MM MM Good

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
specksnreds (55) - USA - JUN 18, 2008
A friend opened it as we boiled his latest home brew. Flawless after three years. Every flavor is incorporated perfectly. From the prunes at the beginning, to the cocoa and clove finish. A perfect lacy head. No too boozy. As close to perfect as Iíve had. Not much bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
buddahmind (39) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAY 28, 2005
My first in the series and I canít wait to taste it in 7 1/2 yrs. A killer strong to dubbel now. One problem. I had to jump through hoops to get it. Next year stone better send me two for free or else iíll..........................

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
russnug (35) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 29, 2006
We couldnít wait to try this puppy. To hell with 2012! Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Anyway, very belginess in style. very good for the style.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cmr1517 (35) - New Haven, Indiana, USA - AUG 31, 2008
Pours a dark amber in color. Its aroma smelled of banannas and other fruits. This has aged very well! I did not taste initially but this beer after three years is still quite amazing. Very smooth and with just a little bite. Will love to try again!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TapMaster (20) - , California, USA - AUG 12, 2008
May 27, 2005 I lost my password and this was my rating so Well this is my first rating and I think I picked a good one. I am new at the whole "palate" thing So I will say it has a lime flavor, nice dark amber color. It has this sense stimulating the outside edges of my tongue and sneaking into my stomach in a nice way. Lots of bubbles. Hey, my writing improves as I get the closer to the end of the bottle.