Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale

RATINGS: 457   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around, we used no spices in the brewing of this beer. If you've tasted the beer before reading this, that may surprise you. The special Belgian yeast we used adds a distinctively spicy aroma and flavor. Roastiness, clove, hops, fruitiness, and those other great and funky phenols abound in the nose. What's in the flavor? You certainly get some dark roasted malts and alcohol overtones. What else? Hints of earthiness, chocolate/cocoa, hop spiciness, maybe even anise, and ... the incredible variety of complexities from the classic brewing ingredients of barley malt, hops, yeast and water, when applied with an artistic brewer's talent never ceases to amaze.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
specksnreds (55) - USA - JUN 18, 2008
A friend opened it as we boiled his latest home brew. Flawless after three years. Every flavor is incorporated perfectly. From the prunes at the beginning, to the cocoa and clove finish. A perfect lacy head. No too boozy. As close to perfect as Iíve had. Not much bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
buddahmind (39) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAY 28, 2005
My first in the series and I canít wait to taste it in 7 1/2 yrs. A killer strong to dubbel now. One problem. I had to jump through hoops to get it. Next year stone better send me two for free or else iíll..........................

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
russnug (35) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 29, 2006
We couldnít wait to try this puppy. To hell with 2012! Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Anyway, very belginess in style. very good for the style.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cmr1517 (35) - New Haven, Indiana, USA - AUG 31, 2008
Pours a dark amber in color. Its aroma smelled of banannas and other fruits. This has aged very well! I did not taste initially but this beer after three years is still quite amazing. Very smooth and with just a little bite. Will love to try again!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TapMaster (20) - , California, USA - AUG 12, 2008
May 27, 2005 I lost my password and this was my rating so Well this is my first rating and I think I picked a good one. I am new at the whole "palate" thing So I will say it has a lime flavor, nice dark amber color. It has this sense stimulating the outside edges of my tongue and sneaking into my stomach in a nice way. Lots of bubbles. Hey, my writing improves as I get the closer to the end of the bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
highalphafan (18) - albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAY 27, 2005
This yearís has a deep brown color with chessnut highlights. Pretty standard tan head. The aroma is of vanilla, almond and banana. The flavor stays on course with the aroma with banana taking the lead followed by a sharp spiciness (coriander?). The spices then give way to a long bitter finish. This may be the most interesting/complex beer in the series so far in my opinion (though I never had the í02).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
bikeclj (17) - Virginia, USA - JAN 13, 2013
Wine notes and earthy dry finish with a little nuttiness and roast Light in body ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
wish (14) - California, USA - SEP 4, 2006
bottle.. Odeed is the shizzle, always hooking up the good brews. Lovely aroma, chocolate caramel, same as the color. Taste is bitter and tart with a hint of yeast.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SNOB (13) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 10, 2005
Pours nicely with a light brown head of substance. The beer is clear, and is redish with nearly a purple hue. You can easily smell the toasty grains (rye?) It has roasted sweet flavoer with faint citrusy tones. It is well carbonated, and has good mouthfeel. Excellent Brussels lacing, with every sip detectable. A solid beer, but I will be anxious to taste it in another 7 years to experience it at full potential.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
socoguzzler (11) - fort collins, Colorado, USA - MAY 24, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2008 I thought it was a tasty and delightful beer. I feel honored to have been able to try this beer.