Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 447   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around, we used no spices in the brewing of this beer. If you've tasted the beer before reading this, that may surprise you. The special Belgian yeast we used adds a distinctively spicy aroma and flavor. Roastiness, clove, hops, fruitiness, and those other great and funky phenols abound in the nose. What's in the flavor? You certainly get some dark roasted malts and alcohol overtones. What else? Hints of earthiness, chocolate/cocoa, hop spiciness, maybe even anise, and ... the incredible variety of complexities from the classic brewing ingredients of barley malt, hops, yeast and water, when applied with an artistic brewer's talent never ceases to amaze.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
OhHoppyDay (9) - USA - AUG 21, 2009 does not count
Opened May 2009, cellared four years. APPEARANCE: Dark brown, nearly black, but with a very subtle burgundy hue. Very Clear. Noticeably tan head. AROMA: A very malty, caramelly smell, with a slight coffee note and with some definite alcohol notes present. FLAVOR: Malt, malt, more malt. Wonderfully smooth, rich, and somewhat sweet, but not cloyingly so. Subtle hints of caramel, chocolate, molasses, and (maybe) a slight coffee-ish note. Some noticeable bitterness of hops, but they were not overwhelming. PALATE: Definitely leaning toward full-bodied, but extremely well balanced. There was a noticeable, but light, heat (of alcohol) about it. Would love to know where it was at ABV when we cracked it open. NOTES: I could easily make this a session beer, but it would be a session beer that rendered me completely stupid drunk after two or three pints. It was full, but very enjoyable, and very rich.

AlphaOmega (8) - USA - MAY 30, 2005 does not count
This by far is not only one of the best in the Stone Vertical Epic series, but in my opinion, one of Stoneís best brews by far. To date, 05.30.05, I have purchased more of this special edition brew than I have any other Stone product combined. And for someone who consumes on average 4 - 8 Stone products a month... well... do the math. Iíve had to hit up several liquor stores looking for this as I have seemed to run all the others out of this very fine Vertical Epic 05.05.05. My description of the Vertical is... it starts of as a very fine "Black & Tan" if you can imagine that. Sort of sweet and champainy like with a very fine bubble structure... then the hops hit you... not in a harsh way though... very smooth... kind of creaps up on you... and oh yes... the taste of alcohol is definately there... but once again, very smooth... like a bottle of fine wine. This years Vertical Epic is a definate must do... that is if you can find it still. If I find it in a liquor store near you first... youíre S.O.L!
Earlier Rating: 5/30/2005 Total Score: 5

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
GKlein709 (4) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 24, 2005 does not count
Armoa, fruity but imature, apperance good dark, flavor good yeasty, imature, palate crisp and tight, overall very good should wait to open until 2012

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
scotts66 (4) - Washington, USA - MAY 23, 2009 does not count
Love it. Wish I had bought more of this now, I only have one left. Just couldnít wait any longer though. Itís been over four years and I canít remember what it tasted like originally. Tastes a lot of spices now but I was amazed to read on the bottle that it contains no spices, just awesome belgian yeast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JimCucamonga (2) - Cucamonga, California, USA - MAY 27, 2005 does not count
Well this is my first rating and I think I picked a good one. I am new at the whole "palate" thing So I will say it has a lime flavor, nice dark amber color. It has this sense stimulating the outside edges of my tongue and sneaking into my stomach in a nice way. Lots of bubbles. Hey, my writing improves as I get the closer to the end of the bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
jisaza (2) - New York City, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2005 does not count
medium bitterness, medium sourness, full body, creamy, lively, long finish, Great beer, highly recommen it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kingcrowing (2) - Vermont, USA - OCT 26, 2009 does not count
Pours a dark brown ruby with a tinge of brown and ivory. Nose is diacetyl and sweet, a bit malty. Taste is a bit buttery and sharp. Not that belgian but still very nice. For a 4 year old brew. This is going to be really good in 2012.