Stone 06.06.06 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 607   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 260   ABV: 8.66%
As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics, and twists and turns as the adventure unfolds. This bottle conditioned ale is chapter five, and is specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy it in a "vertical" tasting along with its ten Stone Vertical Epic Ale brethren. Each on unique to its year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plot line. Each one release one year, one month and one day from the previous year’s edition.

In this year’s edition, you’ll notice a deep, rich aroma of toasty malts, anise, Belgian yeast spiciness, and a hint of cedar. The toasty, dark and roasty malt flavors combine with a soft palate - courtesy of specialty dark wheat and barley malts. The body is fairly light for a beer with such a high gravity. There is a pleasant, lingering bitterness, so you know it’s part of the Stone family. This ale was brewed with a specialty Belgian yeast that we’re really liking here at Stone...it’s the same one we used for brewing the Stone 03.03.03 Vertical Epic Ale. And as with the Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale, all the spicy, deep, and wonderfully funky aromas and flavor characteristics in this beer come as a result of nothing more than malt, hops, water and yeast!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
merlin48 (656) - Jenkins, Kentucky, USA - AUG 10, 2006
Pours into a goblet a dark, but clear, ruby mahogany color with a quickly vanishing beige head. No lacing. Aroma has a piercing spiciness of cloves and anise. Maltiness of dark fruits, mostly dried figs. Notes of wheat malt and yeast are also prominent. Body is medium with some fusel alcohol notes. Taste seems dominated by anise and clove. Some notions of burnt brown sugar and dark fruits are present, as well as some roasty dark malt bitterness and pine hops. Seems a bit unsophisicated for an Abbey Dubbel, at least at this young age. I have to say that this is my least favorite of the Vertical Epic series.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
hoosiers1994 (684) - Maryland, USA - OCT 2, 2010
@ Alewife for Stone Tap Takeover Tour 2010. Aroma was sour, with some sweet notes...not noticable hops. Appearance is a nice reddish brown with tan head. Taste is not what I was expecting. I think the beer turned, as it should not have been sour. Tried to like it, but think it was bad. Overall, I would try again, as I think I had a bad batch.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - OCT 29, 2007
Rated blind from "Better Know a Style: Abbey Dubbel" tasting. Black/brown color with small off-white head. Meaty aroma with some dark aroma, small fruit. Dark fruity, very candy sweet, too much sugar. Thin, little carb. Too sweet and unappealing.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
stevencon (419) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 30, 2013
From bottle. Dark brown pour clear. Caramel light roast/burnt. A bit flat. Thin not much flavor. Is beer has probably seen better days. Toffee caramel and chocolate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
cheap (3943) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2012
I write this review for all of the Stone Vertical Epics from 333 -999 but the numerical ratings of each are different. I pen this review reflecting on my tremendous respect for Horny Devil James – the supplier of these brews, Justin Lithy – the ratebeerian who supplied the locale, Ben london101 – for his VE comments and Beerman6686 Dan - for the interesting insights. Prior to this RB Pittsburgh December 2012 Post Apocalyptic Beer Tasting, I could have cared less for some happy BS vertical beers. However, James and Justin, by providing carefully guided beer experiences, adjusted the stereo typical stigma that I held about such beers, and there numerical family. After I saw James immediately pour a bottle of 333 down the drain, after we all had a sample was not only breathtaking, but it I had to pinch myself to make sure it wasn’t a dream. I was cautiously thinking to myself, without speaking out loud, in all my cheapness, that I would have drank that whole bottle, if it was one of my singular tasking sessions. Perhaps I would have got sick, who knows. Well, for the ratings, they all were rather old, musty and tasted about the same, except the 777. The triple 3 was a dark, flat, old, rude, coors cardboard and bitter; fer sure. The 444 had a somewhat volatile spicy smell and looked like pale lager. Of course, it come across rather old too. The 555 was a dark beer. It had some decent co2 for a change. Bitter initially, then mellowed. However, I found more it acceptable than most IPA. The devil #666 was just that. Dark pour with a decent head. Smell is a little tart, pretty good olfactory. Some co2 on the palate. Not as bad as the first 3 VEs. 777 was the best of the bunch, again a darker ale. Smell is acceptable. Really strong taste but did not have many of those negative old beer thing attributes. Lots of CO2 which makes this more fun – IMHO the best of the bunch fer sure. I thought it was because it was the newest, but modified my impression after having the 888 & 999. With the 888 pour is pale yellah. It must be a strong ale & the medicinal bitterness is quite high. Finish is back of throat bitter bite that goes on for quite a while. And lastly the 999. Seems much older in personality that the 444-888. Actually, I get the impressions of an old barley wine on the nose. Strong & rude. A little over the top fer sure. Does not hide alky what so ever. Not the best VE I’ve ever head, heheh. There – you have it; VE ratings from a VE newbee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
NephrenKa (27) - Ft. Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 9, 2006
I cannot give this beer a fair review. This is an anise-based brew, and I personally cannot stand the taste of anise. If it were based on a different flavor, I probably would have enjoyed it. The color can only be described as blackened, dried blood. From the minimal head bubbles a promising scent of candy and just a little licorice. Once I actually tasted it, I knew I would not be able to finish the bottle. The sticky sweet flavor of cough syrup and anise spurred me to the hills.

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
LyndaNova (532) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - NOV 9, 2006
Cold 22oz bottle: Pours and opaque brown color with a small amount of tan bubbles around the edges of the glass. Aroma and taste are of roasted malt, earth, spice, bitterness and alcohol with sour notes. I would not drink this, so Volgon finished the bottle. : )