Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 780   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
bikeclj (14) - Virginia, USA - JAN 13, 2013
Gold rose in color with haze. Banana nose and taste rich and full body. Taste ginger and citrus more orange than grapefruit with slight cherry super smooth touch of spice ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sonnycheeba (3680) - Federal Hill, Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JAN 13, 2013
Bottle; 06-12 mini-vertical tasting. Pours clear copper/amber wth average, fizzy white head; good retention and spare lacing. Aroma is apple pie, pears, cereal and bread malts, faint floral hops, and cinnamon. Flavor is sweet apple pie, spice, bready malts, and faint caramel; sweet finish. Medium body and low carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Huhzubendah (2637) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 12, 2013
Thanks to the Thorpes for sharing. The beer appears dark orange and hazy with a small head. The aroma brings candied oranges, peppermint, malt. Sweetness makes its presence felt immediately. Spice character more evident in the flavor than the nose. Citrus soaked in alcohol. Fairly straightforward and one dimensional. Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. I like orange candies so it’s entirely possible that I enjoy this more than the rest of the guys. Overall, Ok.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
artmcd8 (1718) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2013
Stone Vertical Tasting at Harris Grill 5.5 year old beer! Complex floral aromas with ginger. This beer has done so well over time. I'm amazed. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
andyhwcinc (1492) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 3, 2013
Purchased at Binny’s in Chicago along with two other Vertical Epics, enjoyed at a friends house while enjoying delicious food on NYE 2012. Very happy that Stone re-released some of these brews. Appearance was a relatively clear copper gold with a small white head. Aroma of fruit, Belgian ale yeast, light caramel malt, with a light bit of citrusy hops. Taste went down very smooth, so smooth that I didn’t have time to take proper notes. I do remember this being slightly potent without really feeling it, and also pretty delicious. Again, very happy to have tried this!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
hopdog (9059) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2012
22oz bottle. Filling in the Vertical Epics I have not rated (had this during a full 020202 - 121212 vertical). Orangish in color with a small sized head. Citrus, rinds, fruity, and spices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Iphonephan (3538) - McLean, Virginia, USA - DEC 28, 2012
From a 22 oz bottle shared at Canaan Valley. Pours a cloudy amber with an off white head. Smell of fruit peel and cardamon. Luscious combination of fruits, caramel with a mild bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jmikolich (1477) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - DEC 28, 2012
22oz bottle, a lighter sweeter beer than 060606 but the sweetness is too much, some lemon acidity comes through but not enough to balance the sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
cheap (4172) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2012
I write this review for all of the Stone Vertical Epics from 333 -999 but the numerical ratings of each are different. I pen this review reflecting on my tremendous respect for Horny Devil James – the supplier of these brews, Justin Lithy – the ratebeerian who supplied the locale, Ben london101 – for his VE comments and Beerman6686 Dan - for the interesting insights. Prior to this RB Pittsburgh December 2012 Post Apocalyptic Beer Tasting, I could have cared less for some happy BS vertical beers. However, James and Justin, by providing carefully guided beer experiences, adjusted the stereo typical stigma that I held about such beers, and there numerical family. After I saw James immediately pour a bottle of 333 down the drain, after we all had a sample was not only breathtaking, but it I had to pinch myself to make sure it wasn’t a dream. I was cautiously thinking to myself, without speaking out loud, in all my cheapness, that I would have drank that whole bottle, if it was one of my singular tasking sessions. Perhaps I would have got sick, who knows. Well, for the ratings, they all were rather old, musty and tasted about the same, except the 777. The triple 3 was a dark, flat, old, rude, coors cardboard and bitter; fer sure. The 444 had a somewhat volatile spicy smell and looked like pale lager. Of course, it come across rather old too. The 555 was a dark beer. It had some decent co2 for a change. Bitter initially, then mellowed. However, I found more it acceptable than most IPA. The devil #666 was just that. Dark pour with a decent head. Smell is a little tart, pretty good olfactory. Some co2 on the palate. Not as bad as the first 3 VEs. 777 was the best of the bunch, again a darker ale. Smell is acceptable. Really strong taste but did not have many of those negative old beer thing attributes. Lots of CO2 which makes this more fun – IMHO the best of the bunch fer sure. I thought it was because it was the newest, but modified my impression after having the 888 & 999. With the 888 pour is pale yellah. It must be a strong ale & the medicinal bitterness is quite high. Finish is back of throat bitter bite that goes on for quite a while. And lastly the 999. Seems much older in personality that the 444-888. Actually, I get the impressions of an old barley wine on the nose. Strong & rude. A little over the top fer sure. Does not hide alky what so ever. Not the best VE I’ve ever head, heheh. There – you have it; VE ratings from a VE newbee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tinco (572) - Linköping, SWEDEN - DEC 23, 2012
Clear orange color. No Head. Aroma is spicy, banaa, belgian yeast, berries, almost a sour hay note, musty spices. Taste is banana, sweet malts, some raisins, sweet, spicy, soapy, chewy.