Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 776   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BossHossBikes (148) - California, USA - FEB 25, 2008
Bottle. Cracked open a bottle with Nachlamsie that I’ve been aging for about seven months now. I had this before I started rating. I thought it was way too spicy. It seems to be agreed upon both of us that this beer aged is much better. The spices aren’t completely overbearing as it was fresh. To the nose, it has a warm spicy aroma with a good deal of sweetness. To the tongue, it’s still pretty viscous. The flavour is way more laid back. Spices are a nice mix with some caramelized apple. The finish has a light, spicy bitterness. I’m not much into spiced beers, but this isn’t so bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tangentrider (144) - Alabama, USA - AUG 1, 2007
Amber, orange ale with a fruity, flowery aroma. The light amber head disappears. The flavor is a bit medicinal, unfortunately. It is interesting, but a bit odd.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DragonsHead (140) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 8, 2008
Lacking the flavor of the other stone products. I just want it to be gone. low flavor, but still a good strong ale. aroma almost gone after opening; not a bad beer overall though...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jonnabrix (137) - Newberrytown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 29, 2007
I wouldn’t describe this as a great Belgian Strong Ale, but I really enjoyed this. It is malty with spice, some bitter citrus, and yeast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cbrixius (136) - Newberrytown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 28, 2007
22 oz. bomber. Poured a dark gold witha slight white head. Noticeably spicy with an about even fruit mix. Semi-sweet finish with an nice moutheel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
thickfreakness (132) - AUSTIN, Texas, USA - AUG 18, 2008
Tasted on 5/1/08. Poured this one into a Unibroue tulip. It has a nice white head and the color is what I would imagine from a wit/trippel hybrid. The smell is expected from a wit with a little bit of punch. I realize this is 10 months old already but I just don’t really like this taste. I think I’m tasting some ginger and it just really isn’t pleasant to me. I also taste clove and spicy belgian yeast but the ginger taste is just ruining this for me. Overall this is my least favorite of all the Stone beers I have had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IEBAILI (125) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 21, 2007
Pours beautiful golden orange color, smellsof Belgian yeast, very fruity, subtle spice, tastes fruity, tons of orange peel, cidery, peach, slightly sweet, finish in almost completely dry, the apple-peach-orange-bitter orange peel flavor lasts, this beer seems to be all about the yeast, niether hops nor malt make a big impression. The body is medium-light, this beer is refreshing, it has none of the heaviness that some sweeter Belgian strong ales have. The alcohol is practically invisible. A little bit of tartness emphasizes the citrus flavors beautifully.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
chokmah33 (118) - San Luis Obispo, California, USA - JUN 18, 2008
Sourdough malts. Sweet fruits dominate (cherry, peaches, over-ripe cantelope). Creamy metallic character. Spicy notes of cinnamin, coriander + cardamom. Dank belgian yeast flavor up front. Big ginger and lemon tones. Very sour, almost peppermint taste. Too skunky for my tongue, like an overdone trippel. Finish is slightly salty and tastes of apples. Citric palate tingles the tongue. Wierd astringent mouthfeel. Finish is creamy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
marvinpontiac (117) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - JUN 25, 2007
very nice copper color and a very small, thin head. the spice flavors are very subdued but noticeable on the aftertaste - i’m picking up on the ginger more than the citrus.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DKTN (110) - Mc Donald, Tennessee, USA - MAY 31, 2008
Bottle, 22 oz. Deep golden color with a white head. Spicy and fruity aroma that immediately indicates complexity. Malty flavor. Different but interesting.