Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 777   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this yearís edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BayAreaBeers (85) - Fremont, California, USA - FEB 5, 2012
Shared with the wife. Pours a beautiful golden orange. Aroma is classic Sasion with nice tropical fruit and a hint of mint. Taste is great. Nice tropical flavor with classic Sasion. Itís very refreshing. I wish I had more. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ragesaq (71) - Arizona, USA - JUL 13, 2007
Deep rich delicious golden Belgian very reminiscent of the Stone 040404. No banana but still the excellent Belgian tripple yeast, and instead of lime leaf you get a more mild broader fruity mix. Less coriander, but the mix of ginger and cardamom gives a similar sweetness. I previously said the Stone 040404 was the best beer I ever had, I think the Stone 070707 just beat it. Its going to be hard to resist drinking these.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
altehkiller (71) - , California, USA - APR 7, 2009
A little unbalanced with it being sweet and spicy. It almost pulls it off but there is just something missing. Overall it is a good beer but it could be slightly better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
airforce1 (61) - Atascosa, Texas, USA - FEB 12, 2008
Wow, almost like a hoopy belgian Tripel. I had a hard time drinking this beer, almost a buttery taste somewhere hidden in there. Very odd indeed, this will be a nifty little treat to taste in a few yearsI think, as I think this will be more like a THA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ironicmedic (60) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 30, 2013
Shared a bottle in 6/13. Pours golden in color, a little tart taste, almost wineish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Touche (57) - New York, USA - JUL 21, 2007
sweet smelling. you can definitely smell the malt. Light amber color with a thin head. Hints of hops. The yeast and citrus flavors are overpowered by the abundant malt. aftertaste slightly dry. Malt is all over the place. Decent, certainly not what i expected. Will buy a bottle and drink in a year or so.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
thoramel (55) - Ohio, USA - AUG 17, 2007
Pale golden beer with a thin head that reduces quickly to thin film. The aroma promises a good beer but that first taste is a big disappointment, but then I have never been a big fan of Saisonís. I will say that after finishing about half of the bottle I was able to start distinguishing the different flavors but by the time I was done my overall impression wasnít that great (rotten banannas). This is probably the first selection I have had from this brewery that I did not like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Orion1800 (51) - Piedmont, California, USA - SEP 11, 2007
This big belgian style beer is fantastic. It reminds me a little of a wit beer, but also of a bock. I feel like they captured the essence of the syle without mimicking any one variety. A beautiful beer. Truly epic

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerme420 (50) - Corona, California, USA - JUL 22, 2007
You can smell the spices and taste them. Very complex flavor with a crisp finish. Gold in color and sweet. Will have to age to taste at its peak

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hoptimus (50) - Grand Island, New York, USA - MAR 31, 2008
22 oz. Bomber (trappist glass). Pours a cloudy honey-amber color with a small white head that dissipates quickly. Has notes of bananas, clove and cinnamon...it sort of resembles a hefe in a way. Smooth and silky on the palate. Has notes of apricot, ginger, and some hop character. Fruity and spicy. I thought there was some raisin in the finish. No alcohol present, and has a nice finish. Fantastic.