Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 777   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
ux04 (30) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - NOV 22, 2007
Amazingly spiced. I could go on repeating what everyone else has said about the spicy malt finish and blah blah blah but you know what...it doesn’t matter this beer is great and gets you loose after a pint.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
LeviathanIPA (30) - chula vista, California, USA - JUL 30, 2007
pours a hazy orange color with a foamy white head, sweet bitter taste, overall nothing special

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
stryk (30) - Farsta, SWEDEN - JAN 9, 2009
Had this in Chimay glass, 65 cl bottle. nice mix of a Belgian tripel and saison but not really all persuasive. Nice clear golden elegant appearance. Lots of Belgian yeast flavor here. A lot of citrus, caramel and coriander will hit your nose and along the road gentle tones of apple, pear and seville orange will follow you all the way. The taste in my mouth was like a mixture of an orange effervescent tablet and grapefruit with light hints of almond, apple and lots of coriander. This beer has a light sweet initial flavor with an acidic, moderate and pretty long bitter finish. This one would go nicely with white meat like chicken and lots of sunshine.. Sadly I drank it during the Swedish wintertime, ha. Anyway, its good but I had much better saisons and much better tripels. I hope they keep it up, I know I will. Cheers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DickDunnigan (26) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAR 7, 2008
Hazy, light orange color. Yeasty, sweet aroma. Very Belgian-like taste, with some malt and faint hop flavor. Kind of a paradox, very sweet but also very dry at the same time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
EricDanger (23) - USA - OCT 10, 2007
Lots of spices and hops in the belgian style. Very citrusy nose and great head. Lots of POP when it hits the mouth. From a bomber, in a pint glass.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Surly (20) - Michigan, USA - JUL 4, 2008
Nice golden color, slightly hazy with minimal carbonation. Very little head or lacing. Subtle citrus hop aroma. I’d expect this look from an IPA, I also expected a hop explosion up front... and it was a pleasant surprise to have a great change of pace. To me this is a wonderful easy drinking beer, but for a beer lover. Meaning there is bountiful flavor, hops, citrus, fruit (I even want to say strawberry?). Very good beer, light and yet has a ton of flavor without seeming watered down. Very nice.

mnemonic21 (20) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 19, 2013
On tap at Lord Hobo - guess they aged a keg of this bad boy - woody, grape, Belgian yeasty nose; dark hue with consistent lacing; body coats tongue with red wine, brown sugar; tannins sit in the back and the flavor lasts. This aged well. Tasty.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
aoa56 (18) - zeeland, Michigan, USA - AUG 9, 2008
Drank on 8-8-08. NIce gold color when poured, with a nice sweet aroma. Has a little kick at the end, butabout perfect for the flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cloudskipper (17) - Alameda, California, USA - JUN 25, 2009
Bottle aged in my cellar. Poured with quite a bit of head, as expected. This really mellowed out nicely. Funky aroma, though more subdued, more balanced. Taste was funky, bready, aged saison-type goodness. I thought this was a lot better aged 2 years than fresh. Wish I had another one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
believeUme (17) - California, USA - JUL 25, 2007
Light copper with a thin head and high carbonation. Aroma is apricot, citrus, and plum. Flavor is of residual caramel cloves, grapefruit and yeasty phenols. Hoppy bite with a dry finish. Nice beer overall