Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 775   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TonyDiUlio (643) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 3, 2010
Had at rattle and hum with James and andrew for the stone event. Pour is a nice clear orange with lacing white head. Aroma is nice pine hops. Flavor is butter hops with nice floral tastes. Sweet brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Duhast500 (378) - Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA - OCT 10, 2010
Poured from 1pt. 6oz. bottle into a Harpoon 100 Barrel Series Tulip glass. The color is cloudy orange/amber with two and half fingers of foamy white head and some slight lacing. The smell is a good Belgian type aroma, something like a triple would be. It also has a nice spicy aroma that smells a bit like fruit flavored candy like sweet tarts. The taste has a nice citrus kick at first with some nice Saison spice flavor. There is a nice grainy flavor that is keeping the flavor well formed. The texture of this beer is pretty interesting and seems to lay on your tongue for just the right amount of time. It is smooth and very well balanced. This beer goes down well and is refreshing with a slight bite.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NeoHippie2 (928) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JAN 28, 2014
Hazy golden pour, lots of citrus and some yeast notes on the nose. Flavor is citrus peel and candied ginger with notes of honey coming through as well. This one was very drinkable, the abv was very well hidden, and the flavors were well balanced and complex. Delicious. Props to Sloth and StFun for hooking me up with this series!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 24, 2007
Bottle: This one pours a nice amber color, with a small white head. Smell is incredibly yeasty, with citrus and orange smell in it. I also smell just a hint of banana. Taste is a little thicker on the banana side, but I also notice a nice maltiness to it. As I continue to drink, you can taste a bit of yeastiness. The alcohol is a tad hot, but should mellow out in time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
badlizard (5539) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUN 25, 2007
650 mL bottle. Hazy golden amber with a fluffy white head. Aroma of grapefruit, lemon, and yeast. Sticky sweet palate. Sweet citrus taste followed with a big spicyness transitioning to an orange taste in the finish. It reminds me of bright summer days playing in the neighbor’s orange groves as a child.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDalkoholic (2141) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JUN 25, 2007
Only my friends know how happy I was to see this on the shelves on time. Thank God San Diego didn’t get it after the rest of the country which occurred in prior years. I had been counting down the days on my calendar. The aroma on this sucker is a strong delivery of authentic Belgian yeast overloaded with spices, ginger, and clove. I also found a banana background that made me go bananas to take my first sip. The ale pours as a firm golden elixir and creates medium amount of soapy foam but that will quickly flat line out. Now going on to the flavor part of this ale, it was a quite tart at first with strong presence of alcohol apparent along a lot of usage of spices. The spices ranged from pepper, clove, ginger and oddly enough a dash of paprika. The banana became less subdued in the flavor but left a sweet aftertaste that was very pleasant. Almost reminds of me the vertical epic 2004 with its heavy spices and fizzy mouth feel. I will be sure to tasting this out periodically.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
rmussman (1702) - California, USA - JUL 7, 2007
Sampled at BevMo with a 22oz. Had a very nice pour with a frothy head that lingers. Has a dark amber hue and palate is very smooth. lots of spice and a real essense of fruit peels. Very very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - JUL 8, 2007
Pours copper with a thin off white head. Smells of caramel, lots of citrus, roses, spices and dough. Tastes of lots of spices, oranges, some earthy hops. This is one I look forward to revisiting regularly over the next 5+ years as it definitely needs some cellar time to mellow out but has a lot of potential. I’m hoping the sweetness balances out the nuttiness over some. If so, this may be the best of the series.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rayg1 (543) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 11, 2007
Ok pours out a golden yellow with a white head that is thick but dissapears quickly. The aroma on this beer is amazing and a whole lot is going on. First I pick up that typical yeasty smell that all belgain ales give off then the slight funk of the saison kicks in. Next I’m met by the overall sweetness of the brew as well as spices and light fruit such as apricot or peach. Taste is yeasty at first the sweet with honey, a slight pepper-like taste, and then some citrus notes. All of this ends with the funky saison note that we all know and love! Man, this is my first experience with Vertical Epic ales and I must say its is a good one, don’t know if this will last until 2012 but I sure am pleased with it now.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joohefner (380) - Isla Vista, California, USA - JUL 11, 2007
a hazy gold orange with a thin head and light lace. smells of sour fruity yeast with a light floral caramel scent to it. creamy body with crisp medium light carbonation. tastes of malty bread, coriander and spice, and pit fruit with a light orange honey flavor. beautifully balanced and so full flavored while being so mellow