Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

RATINGS: 785   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this yearís edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rayg1 (584) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 11, 2007
Ok pours out a golden yellow with a white head that is thick but dissapears quickly. The aroma on this beer is amazing and a whole lot is going on. First I pick up that typical yeasty smell that all belgain ales give off then the slight funk of the saison kicks in. Next Iím met by the overall sweetness of the brew as well as spices and light fruit such as apricot or peach. Taste is yeasty at first the sweet with honey, a slight pepper-like taste, and then some citrus notes. All of this ends with the funky saison note that we all know and love! Man, this is my first experience with Vertical Epic ales and I must say its is a good one, donít know if this will last until 2012 but I sure am pleased with it now.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joohefner (380) - Isla Vista, California, USA - JUL 11, 2007
a hazy gold orange with a thin head and light lace. smells of sour fruity yeast with a light floral caramel scent to it. creamy body with crisp medium light carbonation. tastes of malty bread, coriander and spice, and pit fruit with a light orange honey flavor. beautifully balanced and so full flavored while being so mellow

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Suttree (5638) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 15, 2007
I was surprised how much I liked this one - Orangey gold, nice spongy head. Very nice aroma, but I had trouble seperating all the nuances. Pronounced citrus notes mix with yeasty, cinnamon notes. Seems vaguely wintery, with notes of nutmeg and cedar, too.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FezMonkey (268) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 3, 2007
Opaque golden color with a average sized white head. Aromas of bananas and grapefruit as well as malts. Complex fruit flavors and a nice clean aftertaste. I need a few more of these jems.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
djtimeless (222) - Colorado, USA - AUG 29, 2007
Great beer ! Pours out blonde farmhouse ale style. Citrius, fruity with a little heat. Sweet malt, nice finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Heathen (1500) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - SEP 21, 2007
THOUGHTS: Alc. was a little too noticeable. After trying 06.06.06 I didnít buy another to put away, but I think I will with this one. Great beer. TECHNICAL: Bottle. Poured a sparkling, medium oraney amber with beautiful carbonation and an average, off-white head that mostly diminished. The aroma was lightly malty, with some floral hops, ginger, alcohol, more spices and a citrus mix. The initial flavor was lightly sweet and acidic, while the finish was moderately sweet and acidic, lightly bitter and sour with a rather short duration, that I wished was longer. There is a really nice balance of the some type of flavors as I mentioned in the aromas. The citrus was a really nice touch. It was really different. The medium to full body was syrupy with soft carbonation and a lightly astringent and lightly alcoholic finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - OCT 1, 2007
22 oz bottle. Poured a clear orange color with a white head. Alluring aroma of citrus fruits, ginger, and white wine. Spicy and dry on the tongue with plenty of clove and citrus, especially orange. There were also vinous alcohol undertones. I really liked this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FlagstoneHill (214) - Erie, Colorado, USA - OCT 8, 2007
22 oz. .. copper pour with lots of particles. lt white/tan head. .. Fruity aromas - belgiany w/ plum, peach, apricot. Some hops in there but not much.. .. Carmelly malty flavors with sour and spicy (cardamom?) notes. .. Medium body, med carbonation. .. Very interesting and tasty beer. Iíd definitely rate this as one of the better Belgian style beers Iíve tried.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ajm (1066) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 6, 2007
The first Vertical Epic Iíve had, I was most impressed with this brew. Complexity is the watchword with cinnamon, botanical notes and all manner of spiciness dancing about. An odd aromatic quality makes it seem like it was blended with a dry white wine -- obviously impossible but thatís certainly the impression it gave.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bubikon (2) - Voorheesville, New York, USA - NOV 25, 2007 does not count
The hell with the amll head. Nice aroma, well balanced. This ale went well with Jamaican beans, rice and curry. The Harder They Come of ales.