Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 783   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this yearís edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jmcguire1969 (161) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JUL 20, 2007
This is an interesting beer with tonís of flavors that will certainly age with time. Another will have to sit in th barchive for a while to see how this one ages. Not much of a head on this one. Appears to have chill haze as well so taking off for that. The one thing that jumps out at you that Iím not really sure that I like is an herbal flavor...I canít quite pin it down...ever taste Avery 12th anniversary ale?...itís the same flavor. I love these big hoppy saisons with interesting yeast strains and adjuncts...keepíem coming!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
drewbeerme (3898) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 28, 2007
thanks xnoxhatex. pours out of a 22oz bottle clear golden with white head. nose is yeasty, lime, citrus, coriander, and cloves. flavor is cloves, lime, yeasty, citrus, and bready. finishes crisp and slightly medcinal. similar to 04.04.04. not pulled off well. iím beginning to think i donít like the vertical epic yeast strains.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
ksigty (107) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 8, 2007
Tried this on tap at the brewery. It is interesting. It definitely needs some time to mature. There is an acidic fruit taste mashed together with hops for another bite. It mellows out on the pallate but I thought it would be better, I guess Iíll just have to wait a couple more years to try it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
luv2brew (196) - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA - AUG 10, 2007
This one pours a deep orange with a clean white head that fades fast. The nose comes across as a typical beligian with cloves, candy sugar, and some noticeable spices such as coriander. and maybe some orange peel. I was expecting something else, so this is kind of a shock. Itís not bad, but I can get a kasteel somewhere anytime and I think the Kasteel would be better. Itís very good, and nothing to be ashamed of, but Iím not sure if this one will age as well as the 6-6-06, but we will see

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
kkearn (1165) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2007
bottle. Pours golden-orange, with a moderate sized off-white head. Spice is the predominant aroma, with cardamom, orange peel, ginger, herbs and some yeast in the background. Flavor is overly sweet at first, then the yeast and spice hit the tongue. finishes with an odd spice flavor, and some warming alcohol. I enjoyed the previous VEís more. Iíll have to revisit this one later to see if it improves with time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - AUG 17, 2007
I was rather disappointed in this one. it smelled rather good, but the taste killed it for me. It was missing what i have come to expect from a belgian strong and stone for that matter. maybe some age could do this beer some good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jbrus (4991) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - SEP 9, 2007
Bottle@LCRBM. Jasmin and ginger aroma. Dark yellow color, off-white head, fair lace. Sweet, very spicy, dusty and sticky. Not bad but really tastes and feels like an experimental brew. If youíd ask me Iíd say they didnít quite have a succes with this experiment.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Kinz (3514) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - JUL 8, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2014 I was surprised that I just couldnít get into this one. Pours an attractive deep gold with copper highlights, clear except for a faint haze on the final pour, small but lasting head. Aroma was quite spicy and yeasty. Flavor had an element of bubblegum in the malts, followed by a big spice note, with cardamom leaping out. Somehow the ingredients evoked cinnamon in my mind as well. In the end, simply too much spice for my delicate palate. Could improve significantly with aging depending on which way the spices go in the mix. Not a fan at the moment, but have to keep perspective that this was designed to lay down for a while. RERATE: 7 years later. Nothing left. in the flavor here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ratman197 (11252) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - JUL 13, 2007
Bomber poured a clear copper with a small lingering off white head. Aromas of fruitiness, spice, carmel and a hint of vanilla. Palate was medium bodied and crisp. Flavors of fruitiness, pepper, carmel and spices with a crisp lingering sweet finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
BŁckDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - JUL 15, 2007
Bottle: Amber, high carbonation, spritsy. Strong nose with the yeast and spice, lots of cardamom leads to a medicinal and estery smell. Spicy and hot. I made a homebrew with cardamom and eucalyptis once that tasted a lot like this. I donít care for it really, hard to put my finger on it.