Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 776   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
lb4lb (2495) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 31, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 9, 2007 Creamy golden color with fluffy head. Smell is like Chimay and basically every belgian beer ever with the very obvious belgian yeast smell. To be specific, maybe some cardamom gingery clove type sweet spicy smells. Taste is oddly sweet and belgian-y. Alcohol at first at least is only slightly detectable, but it is slightly warming in the chest as it goes down. I don’t care for this beer or the style. I’m sure its good if you like belgians, but the second I smell that typical belgian beer yeast smell, its all downhill from there.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
yespr (30766) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - OCT 4, 2007
1 pt. 6 fl oz, thanks to Papsoe. Pours golden yellow, clear, with a white lacing head. Dried fruity and slight herbal/spiced. Flavour is heavy spiced, ginger. Some minor citrus fruity notes are present, but it all drowns in ginger. Finish is slight cloying. Not good. Well crafted, I just don’t like ginger.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
gyllenbock (4460) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 10, 2009
Bottle. Orange color with small head. Unfortunately, it was not very good. Too spicy for my taste. Ginger is a bit tricky, too much of it is not tasty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
pintsize (1042) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 21, 2007
Smells like spiced moldy bread. Average golden appearance. Taste was surprisingly sweet with a bit of bitterness. The bitterness lasts way too long. The flavor coats the tongue and is not enjoyable for me.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
hammerbeck (101) - Kentucky, USA - OCT 8, 2007
Oily, tangy, and funky like Belgian Ales, I guess, are supposed to be? Granted, I am drinking this five years before it’s supposed to be enjoyed; but I think this tastes like steeped gym socks.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
SrSilligoose (3227) - pouring bus, New Brunswick, CANADA - JUL 15, 2011
Bottle thanks to BBB! Notes of old doughy spices, comes off as a muddied old ginger aroma. Taste is way too sweet. Sweet medicinal old cherry cough syrup. Touch of cardboard. Pretty undrinkable at this point.