Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 782   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
DYCSoccer17 (3446) - Woodland, California, USA - JUL 4, 2007
22 ounce bottle purchased for $4.99 at the Davis Food Co-Op. I dont understand why some places jack the price up to $6-$7...Aroma has some yeasty, fruity, esters with some banana aromas. A little bit of ethanol is also detected in the nose. Some light honey notes are there, too. Transparent, filtered golden-orange hued body with a VERY quickly dissipating fizzy yellowish head. Still, with no lacing. Looks like mead. A weird peppery astringency to start, which becomes very oily, chewy, and caramelly. Kind of burnt to finish with a little ethanol present. This is really oily and quite weird. Not very enjoyable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
skortila (4709) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - SEP 10, 2007
3rd LCRBM. Aroma is pure ginger with some citric background. Clear, copper-golden coloured with no head. Taste is sweet with loads of ginger, some citrus. Not even one hint of a saison or a triple. How can they make this up?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
cheap (4423) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2012
I write this review for all of the Stone Vertical Epics from 333 -999 but the numerical ratings of each are different. I pen this review reflecting on my tremendous respect for Horny Devil James – the supplier of these brews, Justin Lithy – the ratebeerian who supplied the locale, Ben london101 – for his VE comments and Beerman6686 Dan - for the interesting insights. Prior to this RB Pittsburgh December 2012 Post Apocalyptic Beer Tasting, I could have cared less for some happy BS vertical beers. However, James and Justin, by providing carefully guided beer experiences, adjusted the stereo typical stigma that I held about such beers, and there numerical family. After I saw James immediately pour a bottle of 333 down the drain, after we all had a sample was not only breathtaking, but it I had to pinch myself to make sure it wasn’t a dream. I was cautiously thinking to myself, without speaking out loud, in all my cheapness, that I would have drank that whole bottle, if it was one of my singular tasking sessions. Perhaps I would have got sick, who knows. Well, for the ratings, they all were rather old, musty and tasted about the same, except the 777. The triple 3 was a dark, flat, old, rude, coors cardboard and bitter; fer sure. The 444 had a somewhat volatile spicy smell and looked like pale lager. Of course, it come across rather old too. The 555 was a dark beer. It had some decent co2 for a change. Bitter initially, then mellowed. However, I found more it acceptable than most IPA. The devil #666 was just that. Dark pour with a decent head. Smell is a little tart, pretty good olfactory. Some co2 on the palate. Not as bad as the first 3 VEs. 777 was the best of the bunch, again a darker ale. Smell is acceptable. Really strong taste but did not have many of those negative old beer thing attributes. Lots of CO2 which makes this more fun – IMHO the best of the bunch fer sure. I thought it was because it was the newest, but modified my impression after having the 888 & 999. With the 888 pour is pale yellah. It must be a strong ale & the medicinal bitterness is quite high. Finish is back of throat bitter bite that goes on for quite a while. And lastly the 999. Seems much older in personality that the 444-888. Actually, I get the impressions of an old barley wine on the nose. Strong & rude. A little over the top fer sure. Does not hide alky what so ever. Not the best VE I’ve ever head, heheh. There – you have it; VE ratings from a VE newbee.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - JUL 12, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2009 Like others have said, this might age well. I do not like the spicing, but I might have a low threshold for ginger. I do look forward to this in five years. The vertical epic series is a lot of fun anyhow.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
bierkoning (10826) - La Tropica, NETHERLANDS - SEP 10, 2007
3rd LCRBM. Golden color. Ginger aroma. Lemon aroma and flavor. Sweet flavor in which pineapple esters are present. Disappointing.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
lb4lb (2570) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 31, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 9, 2007 Creamy golden color with fluffy head. Smell is like Chimay and basically every belgian beer ever with the very obvious belgian yeast smell. To be specific, maybe some cardamom gingery clove type sweet spicy smells. Taste is oddly sweet and belgian-y. Alcohol at first at least is only slightly detectable, but it is slightly warming in the chest as it goes down. I don’t care for this beer or the style. I’m sure its good if you like belgians, but the second I smell that typical belgian beer yeast smell, its all downhill from there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - SEP 4, 2007
Clear amber body that looks like nothing so much as a glass of apple juice with head. The aroma is sweet fruit with definte spice. The flavor is in one word, wrong. Very medicinal. The individual components do not sum to good with this one. I think that there is too much going on for its own good. It makes it all just taste blehh. The citrus peel components come through more and more as I drink it and it only gets slightly better. Very sub-par.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
yespr (33723) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - OCT 4, 2007
1 pt. 6 fl oz, thanks to Papsoe. Pours golden yellow, clear, with a white lacing head. Dried fruity and slight herbal/spiced. Flavour is heavy spiced, ginger. Some minor citrus fruity notes are present, but it all drowns in ginger. Finish is slight cloying. Not good. Well crafted, I just don’t like ginger.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
gyllenbock (5343) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 10, 2009
Bottle. Orange color with small head. Unfortunately, it was not very good. Too spicy for my taste. Ginger is a bit tricky, too much of it is not tasty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
pintsize (1042) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 21, 2007
Smells like spiced moldy bread. Average golden appearance. Taste was surprisingly sweet with a bit of bitterness. The bitterness lasts way too long. The flavor coats the tongue and is not enjoyable for me.