Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 761   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
The Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale is a Strong Golden Belgian style ale highly hopped with American hops (Ahtanum, Amarillo and Simcoe). The beer pours pale golden with a thick and creamy white head of foam. The aroma is full of depth: nuances of pepper, clove, and banana from the Belgian yeast strain, and the resiny citrus notes from the American hops blend together nicely to provide a complex aromatic character. The taste is spicy, hoppy and fruity, with a very dry and a pleasant bitter end. The bitterness lingers nicely, and provides a refreshing finish that leads you to want to drink more and more of this beer!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
artmcd8 (1801) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2013
Stone Vertical Tasting at Harris Grill Drinking a 4.5 year old beer. Smells a bit like coins. Still smell the hops after all this time. Fizzy palate. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
nimbleprop (5212) - SouthWest, Washington, Washington DC, USA - JAN 4, 2013
Consumed on 01/04/2012. Massive gusher. By the time I was able to pour, I got maybe 14oz out of the 22oz bottle. For the record, this had been stored in one place, upright, cool and dark since August 2008. Bad bottle? Hazy orange, one finger creamy head. Strong brett aroma, sorta like a beefed up Orval, spritzy lemons, herbs, dusty, grass, straw, honey. Flavor is similar, grapefruit rind, lemon rind, dried orange peel, white pepper, some old pine needles, a little jalapeno. Full, spicy finish but also very dry. Needless to say, I wasn’t happy about an obvious infection. If you didn’t know what it was supposed to be, you’d assume this was someone’s attempt at an Imperial Orval.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jmikolich (1477) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - JAN 2, 2013
22oz bottle, Highly hopped is great, if you drink it fresh, 4 years has killed the hops and leaves just a dried papery taste subtle taste of belgian yeast but mostly dominated by the faded hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
astrofrk (341) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 31, 2012
Got at McScrooges on N. Peters Road. in 08. Personally aged till 1/Jan/2013. I was a patient one. Amber. Medium beige head. Aroma: Pine hops, spices, sweet malts. Very nice. Flavor: Caramel, Spices, Pine Hops. Sweet, dry malty finish. Very complex, more than my words state. I know this sounds funky but this beer gave me the most tasty burb I ever had with a beer. I had to include it with the pallet rating. Stone beers are known for strong hops but this one was more balanced yet still held the "Devils Attitude". If you didn’t like this, you didn’t age this beer correctly. Stop giving low ratings when it is your own fault, not the beers fault!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Iphonephan (3652) - McLean, Virginia, USA - DEC 28, 2012
From a 22 oz bottle shared at Canaan Valley. Pours a hazy orange with a thick white head. Notes of orange zest in the nose. Hops are pretty muted after this many years, but there is still a bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Damico (2693) - Royersford, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 28, 2012
There is quite a bit of bottle variation - wow! 4 bottles within a few weeks and they are totally different. First bottle brought a ton of funky Brett and some Belgian sugars so nice in the nose. Hops have all but disappeared on the nose and up front, but the Belgian yeast dominates as usual. There is a bit of a bitter ending, perhaps the hops held on there because the lingering is prevalent as described.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DeputyAndy (632) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2012
Draft at Capone’s. Pours an almost perfectly clear gold with no head. Aroma is a nice mix of Belgian spiciness with some aged hoppiness. Taste is almost syrupy, sweet, with the hop flavor being aged out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
scoth (529) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - DEC 24, 2012
Pours cloudy orange-amber, with a thin, quickly disappearing head. Aromas of vanilla, pine resin, banana, biscuit, grass. Medium body, low carbonation, smooth but hot, medium dry. Medium sweet, then a little citrus, with a lasting medium bitter finish. Good, but not as great as I had been hoping. Still, it aged fairly well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Imaena (1887) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 23, 2012
Bottle @ Belgian Brewfest. I never got into the vertical epic vertical tasting crowd but I do appreciate these Belgian strong ales as reasonably priced high quality brews.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
cheap (4210) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2012
I write this review for all of the Stone Vertical Epics from 333 -999 but the numerical ratings of each are different. I pen this review reflecting on my tremendous respect for Horny Devil James – the supplier of these brews, Justin Lithy – the ratebeerian who supplied the locale, Ben london101 – for his VE comments and Beerman6686 Dan - for the interesting insights. Prior to this RB Pittsburgh December 2012 Post Apocalyptic Beer Tasting, I could have cared less for some happy BS vertical beers. However, James and Justin, by providing carefully guided beer experiences, adjusted the stereo typical stigma that I held about such beers, and there numerical family. After I saw James immediately pour a bottle of 333 down the drain, after we all had a sample was not only breathtaking, but it I had to pinch myself to make sure it wasn’t a dream. I was cautiously thinking to myself, without speaking out loud, in all my cheapness, that I would have drank that whole bottle, if it was one of my singular tasking sessions. Perhaps I would have got sick, who knows. Well, for the ratings, they all were rather old, musty and tasted about the same, except the 777. The triple 3 was a dark, flat, old, rude, coors cardboard and bitter; fer sure. The 444 had a somewhat volatile spicy smell and looked like pale lager. Of course, it come across rather old too. The 555 was a dark beer. It had some decent co2 for a change. Bitter initially, then mellowed. However, I found more it acceptable than most IPA. The devil #666 was just that. Dark pour with a decent head. Smell is a little tart, pretty good olfactory. Some co2 on the palate. Not as bad as the first 3 VEs. 777 was the best of the bunch, again a darker ale. Smell is acceptable. Really strong taste but did not have many of those negative old beer thing attributes. Lots of CO2 which makes this more fun – IMHO the best of the bunch fer sure. I thought it was because it was the newest, but modified my impression after having the 888 & 999. With the 888 pour is pale yellah. It must be a strong ale & the medicinal bitterness is quite high. Finish is back of throat bitter bite that goes on for quite a while. And lastly the 999. Seems much older in personality that the 444-888. Actually, I get the impressions of an old barley wine on the nose. Strong & rude. A little over the top fer sure. Does not hide alky what so ever. Not the best VE I’ve ever head, heheh. There – you have it; VE ratings from a VE newbee.