overall

RATINGS: 926   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
In 2008, Stone Brewmasters Steve Wagner and Mitch Steele traveled to Belgium, where they enjoyed a number of hop-forward Belgian tripels, pale ales and IPAs—beers that had taken a cue from the U.S. craft brewing movement and inspired us in return. It’s a big reason 2008’s summer season came to be known at Stone as our “Summer of the Triple.” Upon their return, they crafted Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale, the seventh beer in the 11-beer Stone Vertical Epic Ale series. Packed with floral, spicy essence from Belgian yeast plus plenty of hoppy New World character, it’s our West Coast take on hop-driven Belgian beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
andyhwcinc (1796) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 15, 2015
Purchased at Bottles and Cans in Chicago, IL; enjoyed at home while watching Bears football on what will probably be the last nice weather day of the year. Thank you Stone for doing this! Hoping they'll do this for the 02 and 03 verticals. Appearance is a vibrant gold with a nice frothy white head. Aroma of light yeast, smells wine like, nice clove notes, light lemon. Taste goes down great, not much burn, deceptive ABV. Great one here!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
enginaaron (73) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 3, 2008
On tap at Stone RBSG. Appearance is very clear and yellowish golden; very clean fermentation. Aroma is strange and funky; very fresh, bright, and a bit of bananas. Bananas, apricots, and bright malt dominate the flavor with a good, mild belgian yeast character. Good carbonation and very bright on the palate. I really liked this beer; just very funky and different. Delicious!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Miver (609) - Silver Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 5, 2008
BCTC draft. Poured hazy golden amber with a white head. Aroma is of fresh piney and floral hops, fruity esters from the Belgian yeast. Taste is of nice fresh hops, floral and piney, with a nice Belgian base. A bit fruity and truly nice. I remember this at one of my highlights from BCTC. I can’t imagine how this one is going to make it to 12.12.12, but I’m going to drink the heck out of it fresh.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Panzuriel (1722) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 15, 2008
Pours a slightly hazy apple juice copper with a ring of white foam. Nose is heady belgian style happiness. Lots of fruit notes and evident alcohol. Tangy peppery hop bite on the front of the taste with some nice acidic bite on the end. Body is fluid.

mwa423 (11) - , Ohio, USA - AUG 26, 2008
This is my first Vertical Epic, and I must say I’m going back to the store to buy a case or more of it! It pours a clear golden with about a one inch head that dies down to a nice lacing. The smell is fantastic with plenty of citrus, hops and other things I can’t quite place. I greatly enjoy the taste, it almost tastes like a hybrid between an Belgian and an IPA. Plenty of hop bite but not at all overwhelming. I couldn’t taste anything that would suggest the extremely high ABV. Palate is fantastic, goes down very smoothly, especially considering the high abv. The finish is very dry and makes your mouth water for the next sip. Overall, this is exceptionally good beer. The taste profile is exceptionally complex and excellent, the very high ABV will get you in a good mood after one bottle and yet you can’t taste it at all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - AUG 30, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 9, 2009 Re-rate: with a year of age on this thing, it smells like a smooth Belgian pale whose hops have grown fruity. Tatstes like an appley saison with sophisticated yeast. It’s no Fantome, but it is even and balanced and very tasty. Shockingly. Original rate: Bottle from Whole Foods Albuquerque. My God I hated this beer! Tasted like a rancid saison - imbalanced, with bitterotten hops, moldy fruit, and a very pungent end like turning lunchmeat. I am hoping I got a bad bottle because I enjoy a saisony flavor normally. Then again, I loved 07/07 and that is rated as the worst Epic, so maybe I carry ill programming.

soyorganic (305) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 30, 2008
Bomber: pours a cloudy copper with a small white head. Aroma of yeast, hops and candy sugar. Taste: so this beer is quality... a nice citrus, banana, candy sugar and yeast taste followed by a nice touch of hops. The hops are definitely noticeable but they don’t kill the other flavors in the finish and a nice candy sugar flavor lingers. Medium-low carbonation that makes this extra drinkable. This sort of reminds me of the De Ranke XX but better. Hard to taste the alcohol. I am glad I bought this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - SEP 11, 2008
Bottle shared with Blankboy, Jerc, Garthicus, GregClow, and Hogotwn Harry, Harry’s bottle. Medium to dark yellow, small white head. Nice aroma - very hoppy, lots of lemon, very fresh. Great taste! So fresh, so hoppy, solid strong refreshing Belgian. Loved it. #2300.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kevinphish (31) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 11, 2008
Ahhh, 8/8/08- My wife’s birthday nonetheless.. 22oz Bottle. Pours translucent, honey-golden, with a rather light wisp of carbonation clinging to the edges of my St Feuillien goblet. A spicy, zesty, belgian yeast hits the nose- primarily clove ; and as this beauty warms, the american hoppy citrus, and tropical fruitiness start to come out much much more, as well as the banana lurking in the background. The initial burst of flavor is sweet grainy malt, candy sugar, spiciness, stone fruits (ironic?), melon, rich green hop flavor, a hit of alcohol heat ( I mean it is a well hidden 8.6, anyhow) with a well described "refreshing bitterness" .. Indeed.. A very delicious complex beer, that I’d argue might just bunk the myth of aging-The freshness will best serve the hop character that is so pleasant in this year’s version.. I suppose time will tell, but alas, CHEERS to Stone for another unique, delicious offering. The hop character alone on this one deserves some stocking up.. Underrated?

radagast83 (6795) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - SEP 12, 2008
22 oz bottle. Pours golden color. Aroma is a Belgian, spicy, citrus, hop flavor. The flavor is quite more hoppy than I had initally expected. As it warms it gets even better, a smooth, creamy, wonderful beer. It’s better than the 07 offering and as good as the 06 one. Alcohol presence is not very noticeable until it hits you a few minutes later - will see how it is in a few years!