Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale

RATINGS: 717   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
This is quite a complex and layered beer. Bold and smooth chocolate malt flavors combine with a Belgian yeast lending tropical fruit/banana flavors and hints of spiciness, all complemented by citrus notes from an addition of tangerine peel. Rich vanilla beans add a nice counter to the chocolate malt - actually enhancing the chocolatiness. The finish is smooth, with additional traces of vanilla and toasted characters from French Oak. The goal for this edition of the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series is to be reminiscent of artisanal chocolates accentuated with orange.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fatalstrike (130) - Cerritos, California, USA - OCT 15, 2011
I dig this beer. Had it a couple years ago, but I have decided to pop open one my last two remaining bottles! Why not? The nose on this is delicious. Smells like a wonderful chocolate dessert. Nice chocolate and vanilla notes. Pours a pitch black with a retreating offwhite foam head that leaves beautiful lacing. There is a lot going on here flavor wise. Up front is your typical hefty stout flavors but these are quickly followed by delicious fruit notes and a bit of oaky spice. The finish is quite nice as this beer coats the tongue well and leaves you with a nice spicy vanilla flavor. Tastes like I remember it and unfortunately I canít pick up on much change in this one. If you are lucky enough to find this I recommend you buy it. An excellent beer. Probably my favorite of the series.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerGuyTWMore (128) - Florida, USA - OCT 26, 2009
Pours near opaque black, with brown froathy head - I poured this one just right, laced nicely. Aromas of chocolate and dark fruit with yeasty undertones. Flavors transfer with the addition of mild coffee and some spice (might just be the roasted malt vanilla). Got some banana but not much orange overwhelmed with chocolate; alcohol well hidden. Overall, fantastic!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Pookie9121 (122) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 17, 2009
22 oz. Bottle. Pours a nice dark brown. Smells of malt. Tastes of coffee and roasted malt. Also has a very distinct alcohol taste as well. Great beer. Highly recommended.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
EastCoaster (122) - USA - JAN 1, 2010
Everything I anticipate beer shall embody in a brew that is highly hyped up, this did not disappoint in the least.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Plamadude30k (122) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 24, 2009
Pours black with a good amount of tan head. The belgian character is readily evident in the nose, along with several varieties of fruits, a little chocolate, and some vanilla. This beer certainly improves as it warms, and the vanilla notes really enhance the chocolate. The tangerine is less present than some other flavors, but it is there. This is an excellent beer that will only improve with age.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
playitbybeer (118) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 10, 2009
Pours dark brown almost black, may even be black with a large tan head that leaves a lacing on the glass. Smells like burnt coffee grounds, chocolate malt, dirty socks, and used dish water. Tastes kind of like it smells, burnt coffee, used dish water, and chocolate, leaves a milky feel in your mouth and the bitterness is in your face and lingering. I need a glass of water.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
southamptonsam (116) - New York, USA - FEB 8, 2010
Lovely tan head that looks Belgian on top of a stout body. Interesting hoppy chocolate nose. I donít normally like food with my evening beer but this screamed for me to take some cheese from the fridge with a dab of mustard. I think it would go well with a variety of foods because it is so complex yet so well balanced. Very good beer. Best Vertical in years.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
thekmoonlegend (115) - Lynn, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 30, 2010
Iíve had this beer a few times. One of the most complex tastes I have had in awhile in a beer: sweet from the vanilla and the malts, but also hints of banana, really different but it works. Not too heavy, smooth with a nice clean finish. Great brew!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
caresville (106) - Vernon, New Jersey, USA - SEP 29, 2009
pours black with basically no head. aroma is of chocolate, raisins, malts and some black licorice. the taste didnt knock me over either and i was expecting it to from what i had heard about this. mostly coffee, and hops but it was bitter and peatmossy. i was super excited to have this and kinda let down. stone makes great stuff, but im sorry i cant classify this one as topping the charts.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
nerdrocker101 (102) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 16, 2009
Bottle. I love Stone as much as the next guy, but I did not enjoy this beer and I was so looking forward to it. We were pairing it up with some smores on a trip to a cabin and I thought it would be wonderful. I picked up on the notes of bitter chocolate, vanilla, and light hints of citrus from the peel, but I found it to be chalky and dry. I trust Stone and Iím giving them the benefit of doubt. They say not to drink it until 12-12-2012, so Iíll get another bottle and hold on to it and re-rate it in a few years