Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 606   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sfontain (807) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2013
22 oz bottle, Andersons, purchased just last week for $7.99 (!). 2.5 years old. Pale orange-straw; half-fizzy-half-creamy white head dissipates into a medium ring; very light lacing. Aroma of a good abbey tripel, so Iím surprised to see this classified as a Belgian strong; floral, citrus, yeasty, a little spicy. Flavor is also typical of a Belgian dubbel or tripel, but with a slight white wine vibe, which I just subtly noticed before reading the description illustrating that several types of grapes were used in brewing this. I really enjoy that they went white grape in this instead of red grape; the red grape gives beer to much of a dark grape juice vibe that I donít care for. Sharp yet warm sweetness, the up front flavors are unusually long-lasting which I love, and I wonder if this is a result of the aging process. Alcohol is just on the verge of fusel and astringent but stops just short so that it presents an intriguing, pleasant bite. I found myself thinking, "As good as this is, it would be amazing oaked," and, lo and behold, there is an oaked version that Iíll never get. Oh well. Medium body only because of the level of sugar in this; otherwise a little lighter; medium, clean stickiness. This deserves more love than its current overall rating of 3.51, at least in its 2-year-old form. Really nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cirrhosis (1209) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - APR 21, 2013
My neighbor brought this over because we invited them over for supper, will I guess I win this round. Mildly hazy gold with a small good sized white cap. Not Bad aroma, mild white wine, orange, pepper, yeast, more and other stuff. Strong tasty brew, peppery, yeast, lemon, lightly tart. Has a good bite with a long, soft finish. Overall this has a good Belgium feel to it. Thanks to VBS for basically righting this review since I took piss poor notes when drinking this earlier this afternoon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
adamah (214) - - APR 20, 2013
While I loved this beer, it didnít taste like beer at all. Even the nose was dominated by the grapes. I felt like I was drinking wine. It was sweet, herbal and had a nice dry finish. The head was big and frothy. Definitely an awesome experience to try but was probably more wine than beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
JK54B (1539) - Helsinki, FINLAND - APR 3, 2013
Mild wine like nose. Pale small head. Hazy golden color. Floating particles. Wine like taste. Average hops. Muscat in the taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Emeister84 (985) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAR 31, 2013
Aromas of tangerines, peaches, pink grapefruit, cherries, flowers, and golden raisins. Clear, orange-honey complexion, with small, constant bubbles, and a small, fully lasting, white head. Some sweetness, fruity, floral, swallowed up by a yeasty dryness. Medium body, prickly carbonation, spicy, and finishes full of white wine notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
zickbeer_ye (274) - Virginia, USA - MAR 31, 2013
Earthy fruit smell witj spices. Foamy head with light yellow orange color. fruity crisp wine notes with a spicy herbal finish. Crisp and smooth on the palate a little spicy and dry at the end

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
camborne (655) - Hopkins, Minnesota, USA - MAR 30, 2013
Banana and bread nose. Palate follows suit and add Candi sugar and apple juice. Sweet Belgium style beer. Drank this after cellaring 2 years. Tasty

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
zvikar (3418) - Ramat Gan, ISRAEL - MAR 30, 2013
Bottle sample at the Vertical Epic Tasting at Mastikim. Thanks Dagan. Pours yellow honey with a nice head, aroma of hops, floral notes, wheat, bubblegum, vinous acidity, flavor of wine, wort, some spices, apple juice, tartness, medium bodied

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gparry (1) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 21, 2013 does not count
This was a very good beer I opened it March 21 2013, after sitting in a dark cupboard for 2 and a half years .... one word....WOW The aroma was so surreal, grapes in your face, but the taste was not overly sweet. I am so glad i hid two bottles from myself bake in October of 2010.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bucs572000 (237) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 4, 2013
This beer was aged for three years and wow Iíve never had the fresh version but I canít imagine itís better than this. The aroma is nice clean grape smell. Taste like a brett beer, good blend of sour and Belgian flavor. Very good brew, if you can get your hands on one I do recommend.