Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 617   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jhgrantjr (439) - Tennessee, USA - JUN 14, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2012 Bottle. Poured a golden color. Smell of citrus, grapes. Taste similar to gewurztraminer wine but with floral carbonation. Very good. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
caralkaline87 (435) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 15, 2010
Pours gold with slight rustiness and a quick white head. Nose is big with apple-based malt, some hoppiness, and a decent dose of herbs and spice. Flavor is typical of an abbey tripel with a slight herbal quality. This is the first ale from Stone Iíve had that isnít loaded down with hops...the hop content is actually quite low in this one. The finish is bready. This isnít the best tripel/belgian strong Iíve had and not Stoneís best stuff but itís definately good and quite drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
chicagobears (430) - Elk Grove Village, Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2010
This is my first Vertical since Stone has only recently been distributed in my area. This one pours a hazy gold. Yeasty nose, bouquet of fruit with grapes, banana, apple, and a little pineapple. I think I detect a hint of honey. Flavor is somewhere between a Tripel and a white wine. Has that trademark Belgian "banana" sweetness. Certainly a good dose of hard candy sugar Some nice spicy notes. Has a appley/grape skin tartness. I enjoyed this one quite a bit! Glad Stone is in my neighborhood cause they make a hell of a brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Maddog (422) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - OCT 22, 2010
Bomber from BP in Yellow Springs, OH. BP, yes BP.....we call it Beer Place. I was a bit reluctant to buy this beer at first after reading that it was made up of types of white wine grapes. But, I really enjoyed this yeasty, fruity, herbacious, spicy Belgian tripel. I will certainly get this one again, my favorite Epic of the series thus far.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Listigovers (420) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 1, 2013
Opened 12.31.12, what a wonderful funky aroma! Reminds me almost of the smell of Orval, very strong aroma. Extremely smooth and sparkling palate, long lasting aftertaste with an explosion of yeasty and spicy flavours. Wonderful beer! Sad I probably wonít see another :P

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thejon375 (414) - Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 30, 2010
Awesome grape flavor and aroma. Crystal clear appearance with thin white head. Great slightly sweet finish with nice carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
QuezXLV (407) - Virginia, USA - NOV 12, 2010
Slightly cloudy golden color with lots of particulates. Nice citrus aroma; particularly orange. Its got a bitter taste, but unique, and the alcohol is not very well hidden. I would love to have let this age, but I donít have the patients nor the environment to keep it for that long.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
natejgood (405) - Bozeman, Montana, USA - SEP 21, 2013
Pours a hazy orange. There isnít much in the way of carbonation or head, but that could be because the beer is three years old at this point. Aroma of dark fruits, dates and honey. It smells very sweet. The grape flavor comes through nicely in this beer but isnít overpowering. The beer has a slight sowerness to it that helps cut the fairly sweet aroma. Flavor seems a bit muddled though, as there is also a bit of malt mixed with the sour grape flavor. Feels fairly flat in the mouth, but not in a bad way. Interesting beer, but not one of my favorites from Stone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beergodd1 (400) - Conneaut, Ohio, USA - APR 3, 2011
Pours a clear orange-amber color with a medium fizzy white head. Fairly poor head retention and lacing (ABV 9.5%). Aroma of Belgian spiciyness, grapes, and bitter hops. The taste is white grapes, lightly toasted grainy notes, faint caramel malt, some floral notes and bitter peppery hops in the finish. Medium bodied. Not bad at all

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
temporrari (387) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 31, 2010
Slightly odd beer. Just a tad funky. Kinda spicy, kinda dry, lively on the tongue. Itís alright. I do detect the grapes, something I donít care for. So yeah. I only had a few good gulps, but honestly thatís all I really needed. Not as shitty as the last couple have been, but the 06 is still tops for me. Hereís hoping for the final two in the series to rock it.