Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 608   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
b79turner (226) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JUL 11, 2011
Bottle purchased in June 2011 at Hop City Craft Beer in Atlanta. Pours a golden orange color with a small head, very little lacing. Medium carbonation. The hops are a good contrast to a wine type flavor. Could you a little less bitterness, but Iím not a fan of bitter beers. Overall a very well done brew. I would be interested to try the earlier Vertical Epic years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Shaftie (218) - , Maryland, USA - DEC 24, 2010
Far too floral for my liking. I loved the 09 but this one, while different, left something to be desired for me in the taste department. If you like the taste of flowers pick this up; if not, pass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Quasimodo (217) - chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 7, 2011
A light Belgian tripel brewed with white wine grapes and chamomile. Interesting and different. Refined and easy to drink. Very mild and subtle for a 10% ale. The gulp is mild sweetness, a white grape tangy-ness and light spice. The aftertaste lingers nicely with notes of white wine and a hint of ale and spices.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nalu (216) - Washington, USA - NOV 16, 2010
Tap @ Parkway. Clear gold pour with a white head leaving a fine, heavy lace. Very smooth mouth feel, but ultimately just a medium body. The tripel/sour/infused ale natures all mix together and make this one hard to describe. Banana, ethanol, chocolate, white grape, apricots and singed sugar flavors. Maybe my palate isnít developed enough, but this one is a bit much for me. I have a bomber I will cellar and crack down the road.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
CarlJonas (215) - LinkŲping, SWEDEN - OCT 10, 2011
Hazy orange with a thin white head. The aroma is mostly Belgian yeast but the grapes start to come through after a while. The taste is sweet but very refreshing with some red wine like bitterness in the after taste. Perhaps not as complex as I would have thought but, as I said, very refreshing and it went down perhaps a little to easy considering the ABV. Worked very well with some French sheep milk cheese.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
adamah (214) - - APR 20, 2013
While I loved this beer, it didnít taste like beer at all. Even the nose was dominated by the grapes. I felt like I was drinking wine. It was sweet, herbal and had a nice dry finish. The head was big and frothy. Definitely an awesome experience to try but was probably more wine than beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
anderson01 (208) - Idaho, USA - DEC 22, 2012
Golden in color. Minimal lacing with no head what so ever. Aroma is brocchili. Aroma is sweet but yummy. A little sour in the taste. Thin texture with Average carbonation. I donít know what is going on but this is doable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
vacantskies (208) - Spokane, Washington, USA - NOV 6, 2010
This beer pours bright orange with very little foam. The aroma is mild but much like a typical Belgian. There is a lot going on in this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
matty (204) - Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 30, 2010
22 oz. bottle. Poured a golden copper color with a very thin head that disappeared quickly. The aroma was sweet, presumably from the grapes that were used, very nice. Little carbonation, with a smooth yet thick mouthfeel. Had a sweet taste with an alcohol presence in the background. A great effort, will definately look for again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
socaltay (204) - Ventura, California, USA - FEB 28, 2011
Wonderful beer. The chamomile and grapes added a very nice twist to the regular Belgian fare. This was the first I have tried of the vertical epic serious (Iím only 22) and I bought several bottles to cellar after trying the first. I look forward to next years release