Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 606   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
sblakey (15) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 17, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2010 Collins Pub, Seattle. Light body for a triple. Floral, almost soapy. Leaves oily texture in mouth, lingering aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hophead1977 (14) - , Connecticut, USA - DEC 6, 2010
Bomber. Pours Dark Gold/Orange, with a very thin head. Aroma is complex...Chamomile, corriander, clovish. Has a definate white wine "nose" to it. Taste is very much Chamomile, with definate sweet white wine taste, but not overpowering. Lively, carbonation. I have unfortunately jumped on board the Vertical Epic bandwagon late in the game since it was so hard to get Stone stuff up to about two years ago here. So it is great that these beers are starting to filter their way into New England. Good Beer, but I would like to try some of the other years offerings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bikeclj (14) - Virginia, USA - JAN 13, 2013
Apricot in color with a full body. Crisp and fruity with apple. Aged well. Somewhat of a wine like taste. Overall malt don't look for hops. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hops4MyHips (10) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - JAN 15, 2011
This looked like orange Hi-C with a thin white head. The aroma was quite nice-floral, candied yams, and a bit of a perfume I used to like when I was a pre-teen. I think the chamomile came through in the aroma but was far too subtle to come through with any flavor. There was a multi-layered yeast profile. No hops, but the beer was well balanced without them. I would like this again, especially as a springtime bev.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SimpsonsFan714 (3) - - DEC 10, 2012 does not count
Poured from 22 oz. bottle, in Stone Russian Imperial Stout snifter. This bottle has been aged at room temperature since it was purchased in early 2010. **Appearance**: Orange in color and cloudy. It has a few slow-rising bubbles. Not much of a head, and it disappeared quickly leaving no laces. **Nose**: Grapes, white wine and a slight vinegar briefly. Honey and citrus fruits like orange and tangerine. Maybe a tiny hint of pumpkin/yam. **Mouthfeel**: Thin and dry. Thereís some bite at at the end, which may be the carbonation. **Taste**: Spices and pumpkin/yam-like flavors. A lot of wine grapes (which taste similar to pumpkin/yam to me) and not much else. **Overall**: Definitely my least favorite so far. Itís not horrible, and I can tell that itís a well made beer, itís just not to my preferred style. I ended up dumping about a third of the bottle because I just wasnít interested in drinking it any more. **Room temp vs. cellar temp**: I aged this at room temperature and I didnít notice anything that would seem to be ill effects from the temp. I donít have a cellar-temp aged bottle to which to compare this one, so I canít say how it would have differed, but I see no reason to think it would be any different than this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gparry (1) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 21, 2013 does not count
This was a very good beer I opened it March 21 2013, after sitting in a dark cupboard for 2 and a half years .... one word....WOW The aroma was so surreal, grapes in your face, but the taste was not overly sweet. I am so glad i hid two bottles from myself bake in October of 2010.