Stone 10th Anniversary IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 583   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 10, 2010
22 oz bottle purchased way back in August 2006 when it was released. The color is orange and transparent. Smell is grapefruit, pineapple, and pine cones. The taste is very tropical fruit with sweetness and a noticeable alcohol burn. While the hops are not as explosive as they were when I first bought a case, they are still a big factor here. I think this is still holding up very well and is possibly one of my favorite brews. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 03-12-2007 21:45:22

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HonkeyBra (3705) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - FEB 6, 2010
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2010 On tap at Three Floyds Brewpub. I know, I was like WTF too. I drank a topless wytch while I tried to figure out what style 10th was and what I should do. Was it the black ipa? no, thatís 11. I finally stole a menu and read that it was the DIPA that I thought it was, but it was ok because now after aging it would be like a barley wine. Yeah right, Like Iím going to fall for that. Aging beers is dumb, and aging hoppy beers is down right criminal. However, had they not aged this, since this came out before my interest in beer, I would not have had a chance to try this. So I am conflicted. Anyway, it came, it smelled hoppy, it tasted like the hops were between sort of dying and totally dead, and had a crisp powdered sugar flavor along with the aged hops. SIgh. I guess it held up better than a bottle of ruination sitting on a store shelf does. I guess itís sort of cool to try like itís sort of cool to play old school nintendo games. Iíll give it a couple extra points.

manuchampions (1241) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 30, 2010
22oz bomber from Bevmo in L.A. Bomber. Poured an almost clear toffee/brown with a nice initial cap of off-white head. The nose packed a punch with alcohol fueling pear and grapefruit sweetness.. juicy and assertive. The flavor picked up grapefruit and pears first, transitioning to caramel and more aggressive alcohol and sticky notes... smooth middle leaving a prickly coating long after the finish. Heavier-bodied. Really enjoyed this one!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JAN 25, 2010
in the bottle at neighborhood in San Diego. Pours a reddish amber with a medium punctuated head of great staying power. The head forms craters of large bubbles. Has a big sweetness, candylike yet has a splash of big tart flavor. Lots of aroma and big flavor. Big fluffy pink cotton candy sweetness. The lacing in the glass forms an intense articulated trebculae. All the mid-range sweetness of a barleywine but none of the hop intensity. This is a very unique beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MaltDawg (1344) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JAN 8, 2010
(Sample Date: 7/18/2009 Source:Other) Dark fruits grain and a touch of alcohol in aroma. Cloudy amber orange with small white head. Flavor has dark raisin caramelized sugar with some alcohol warming and robust bitterness lingering into the finish. Slightly oxidized with a lot of alcohol warming.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mastabass666 (277) - California, USA - DEC 8, 2009
grapefruit, pine, citrus, sweet, bready. started as as a dipa, but has morphed into an evergreen barleywine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
madmitch76 (17825) - , Essex, ENGLAND - NOV 29, 2009
11th September 2008. Cloudy brown beer. Rich and full IPA. Initially comes accross as a well hopped barleywine but then bitter grapefruit and sweet marmalade give it that extra IPA dimension.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
alexsdad06 (6870) - Ohio, USA - NOV 14, 2009
3 L bottle. Pours a slightly hazy orange amber color with a medium sized dense cream colored head. The aroma is big on citrus and other fruits along with moderately sweet caramel malts. The flavor is very malty with some signs of the hops that were much more present when fresh. I did get ripe orange citrus and bitter grapefruit to go with caramel/toffee malts. The bitterness is still there in the finish. This has morphed into more of a barleywine; at least itís a good barleywine. I had the beer fresh and loved it, and this beer is still holding up quite well considering its age and the style. Probably better to drink this soon if you have them around.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BNSLY (54) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 9, 2009
This is a very good beer. I believe it may have stored to long in my fridge. The hops were very mild for a Stone beer. Almost a barley wine. poured a nice amber color. A very sweet smell and faint hops. A nice flavor overall. well balanced

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
CUJO (383) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - SEP 19, 2009
sample: RNH: had this immediately after the 13th Anniv... not the best idea, def needs a re-rate. While it was clear this was a more complex IPA, I thought the balance was too even. No one flavor or characteristic stood out to me. I plan on going back for this in a full pint.