Stone 10th Anniversary IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 582   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łůdż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - AUG 25, 2006
Letís see, should I drink this now, while it is a hoppy, oily, resinous, sticky, piney mess that is way too sweet, or should I cellar it and let it get absurdly sweet with little discernment of the different hops? This is certainly a well made beer, but subtlety is not itís strong suit. Blasting sugar, pineapple and alcohol scream out of the bottle. A bit of metallic flavors (I always seem to get that from Simcoe) to mix with your tropical fruits and cotton candy. Syrupy, big Crystal malt-y mouthfeel. In my opinion itís quintessential Stone; in fact, itís Stone turned up a notch. To Eleven, if you will. Thatís just not a note I like anymore all that much. Have at it people, but really, cellaring will only round this out into the sweetest thing on the planet...Oh one more thing -- this has been done before many times. Some of these double IPAs are more herbally, florality + tangerine (PP Frank?) and earthy, which I prefer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
KAME (160) - California, USA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2007 An amazing IPA with a great fruity aroma and strong hoppy taste. Alcohol is well masked but prevalent. I agree that it is much better than the 9th anniversary. Iíll add more to this review in time...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mjg74 (2492) - La Mesa, California, USA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 8, 2006 Bottle from BevMo La Mesa. Pours a medium to dark amber color. Minimal head. Sticky sweet candy aroma. Syrupy hoppy scent as well. Fruit smelling. Bursting with hoppiness upon sipping. Big and bold. Sweet and malty as well as sticky and hoppy. Some spicy bitterness towards the finish. Very rich and very bold. Well hidden alcohol. Good beer that has a sweetness that kind of drags towards the end.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
burpfrank (299) - carpinteria, California, USA - AUG 25, 2006
WOW!!The aroma was the best iíve smelt so far!Candy inviting aroma.The smell alone begged me to drink it.Color was a warm amber.head was average and short lived.Nice lacing.The taste was very drinkable.sweet,red caramel flavor.medium bodied.Is it really 10% alcohol??so smooth.This could be my new favorite beer.I went to the new brewery and the employees said that they had a small taste and thought this was the best anniversary beer yet.this might be my favorite Stone brew!I donít really like the rock gut over the top types like their Imperial russian stout,so this is good for me.as some of the ratewrs have said,I think this may be better with age.tastes like a young beer,but Oh! so good!Better go and buy some befoe I buy them out!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CaptainCougar (7132) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - AUG 25, 2006
Big thanks to tever for sending me some of this: Translucent copper orange pour has a nice, dense, frothy, well-lacing cream-colored head that has slight greenish hues. Aroma boasts a big citrusy grapefruity hoppy presence dripping with hop resin and lots of sweet caramel malt with a hint of earthy mustiness. Body starts with a rich sweet, candy-like caramel malty presence with the constant balance of fresh citrusy hops turning more bitter toward an incredible balanced finish that masks the alcohol with almost no warming, or should that be warning... Either way, a very enjoyable beer that reminds me a lot of Oggis Hop Whompus. Cheers to Greg and everyone at Stone for a great 10 years!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
winegarner (220) - san diego, California, USA - AUG 24, 2006
Poured a clear amber color with a moderate off white head. Aroma is quite pleasant, and should be used as a showcase for the beauty of american hops. A bounty of citrus and as the brewers noted pineapple and mango. There is also a slight rubbing alcohol burn that would probably fade with some conditioning. There is a very sweet and malty base with plenty of crystal malts but is no match for the amount of hops used. Wonderfully resiny and piney with carmelized orange syrup and mangos. There is not a huge amount of bitterness, though there is plenty, just tons of aroma and flavor hops. Mouthfeel is full but mixed with the amount of hops this beer has, it is very enjoyable and satifying. Very good job by a company that I was starting to loose faith in.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bartzilla (533) - La Mesa, California, USA - AUG 24, 2006
Hooray! Delicious. Strong as all, get out. Which is what I like. The nose is floral, the taste is smooth and rich. I feel like Iíve been backed into a corner by hops and then sucker punched from all angles. Iím glad this is readily available as I see myself drinking lots of this stuff. Canít wait to sit at a bar stool and have a go at some pints of this. Especially at a particular happy hour that serves obscenely cheap pints of the goodness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
realale420 (399) - west covina, California, USA - AUG 24, 2006
22oz bottle poured a clear amber color with a nice long lasting off white head. Aromas of awesome piney hops and large amounts of caramel malts. Taste has a nice bitterness and a good malt balance with a huge alcohol warmth. Overall another great anniversary brew from Stone, definitely want to stock up on this one for the cellar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cbkschubert (2900) - BFE, Arizona, USA - AUG 24, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2006 22 oz. bottle - Pours a clear deep amber color with a good size off white head. The head leaves some nice lacing on the way down. Aroma is sweet, citrus, fruit, and resiny. Very nice. Flavor is heavy. Lots of fruit flavoring to go along with the hops. There is some residual caramel malt sweetness. No unpleasant aftertaste. A somewhat smooth, full bodied beer. An excellent beer. After 4 of of these, I felt the numbers should be raised a bit. This is a damn good beer. Dreadnaught isnít the king daddy anymore.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - AUG 23, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2006 In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. Itís hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet itís balanced and not overbearing. A true winner.