Stone 10th Anniversary IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 581   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
12many (277) - Alaska, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Dayton Alefest sample. Dark amber, average white head and good lacing. Aroma of floral, earthy hops. Flavor has a nice balance of malt sweetness. Very drinkable for 10%. I wish I could get a bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ewestern (256) - Ohio, USA - AUG 25, 2008
Golden/Amber color with an off white head. Citrus aroma, with a smooth citrus taste. Hoppy and bitter from start to finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Praetorian (86) - Los Angeles, California, USA - AUG 22, 2008
Amber in color with a small, off white head with minimal lacing. The aroma is of citrus and fruits. The flavor is very hoppy and fruity with a note of caramel. Bitter throughout. The texture is syrupy. I’d say its a very good IPA, very enjoyable: I like this beer =)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
LtDan (1784) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - AUG 17, 2008
I have been trying this brew periodically over the last two years. It is just not hitting its stride. The citrusy hops have mellowed, it doesn’t seem as syrupy. It’s drinking remarkably well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 17, 2008
Bottle. So I was whisked away into the glory of this one and ended up without notes, but it is definitely one unbelievable beer, even in I’m sure quite a different state from when it came out. At this point it’s a malt bomb, but a malt bomb that is neither too sweet nor too heavy, just rich and delectable with all sorts of yellow, orange, red, and mildly dark fruity notes popping up all over. Amazing how these anniversary ales are aging.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
LilBeerDoctor (3441) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 15, 2008
Bottle courtesy of adrian910ss. Pours a mahogany brown with a small tan head. Aroma of bitter hops, sweet malt, citrus, and stale urine. Flavor is quite malty and sweet, also got some apple skins. Kind of muddied as I didn’t find it complex in flavor. Ok but not one of the better Stone offerings.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
yespr (30913) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - AUG 7, 2008
From tap Stone Bistro. Pours hazy orange with a white and lacing head. Aroma is smooth caramel and mild hoppy, classic and inviting. Sweet and fruity initial flavour impression. Goes quite sweet and raisin fruity to almost sticky. Smooth hoppy and sweet finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lagunitasfan (1313) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 4, 2008
RBSG on tap. Love this IPA. Great pine smell with a nice amber color. It has a nice sharp bite, and as it warms up it starts to take on a thick, scotch(y) flavor. You can definitely taste the alcohol in this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BMan1113VR (7854) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUL 28, 2008
September 9th 2006 bottle with nearly two years of age. This stuff is at its prime. Thick pour leaves a medium sized, rocky off-white head covering a hazy toffee colored body. Nice lacing left by the head. Smells like a nice barely wine with tons of toffee, caramel, plums and some faded hops and alcohol. Wow, taste is increadible, with caramel and lots of it, followed by alcohol then some light and faded citrus hop bitterness and a bit more malt and fruit (fresh juicy oranges mingle with plums, raspberries and rasins) in the finish. Perfectly aged, and at its prime. Light alcohol warming with a creamy mouthfeel and very faint bubbles. A great aged IIPA. I would buy a lot more of this, but I feel it won’t improve much beyond another year. To me, it its current state, it reminds me a lot of Old Guardian, only better!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
KieferUGA (461) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUL 19, 2008
Rating #300. Bottle courtesy of golubj and alexanderj. Shared during the 4th of July Beer Bash with kleyland and alexanderj. I first had the opportunity to sample this beer the night before my wedding. Unfortunately, I drank a bottle of DFH 120 Minute IPA just before and wasn’t thinking clearly. Somehow, I managed to mix a Stone 10th with a Southampton Anniversary beer. I thought a proper rating of this beer was all but a lost cause. Imagine my surprise when I found out a bottle had been found. Now onto the beer. Pours a copper color. Malty aroma. Light, off white head. Big malty flavor. Most of the hops have dropped out of this beer, but it still was very enjoyable. Finish was strong, astringent alcohol. Nice beer and glad to finally taste this.