Stone 10th Anniversary IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 581   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fordtech (4) - USA - APR 7, 2007 does not count
Not a typical IPA. Very heady and dark. Too strong to really be considered an IPA. Some hops and lots of malt, too much malt for an IPA. Very good beer, for beer lovers. IPA afficionados may disagree.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
jeep1982 (4) - - OCT 7, 2013 does not count
Iím not a fancy beer person. I basically pick top rated beers and give em a try ( or beers with cool labels). Usually with top rated I am not disappointed however this is the exception. This beer was had some citrus to it maybe a liquid dawn kinda taste?? Not exactly sure and a second swig I pour it out. So sad.....

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
jimrahm (3) - California, USA - NOV 14, 2012 does not count
Dry hopped, malty, thick copper color, nice foam head and a bit of fruit, looks like another great seasonal from Stone. Enjoy

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
alwayshalffull (3) - longview, Washington, USA - OCT 6, 2006 does not count
the best bottled ipa i have had to date there are only 3 ipaís that i like better and none of them are bottled

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
xsupple419x (3) - dickson city, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 29, 2006 does not count
wow what a beer. rich in the hops... great after taste.... strong and sweet flavor... 12.50$ a bottle well worth it

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
BillN (3) - USA - DEC 17, 2006 does not count
One of the best beers ever brewed? Love this stuff, fresh hops, alcohol well hidden, strong, bold and flavorful, VIVA STONE!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
sjstraub (2) - Budd Lake, New Jersey, USA - JAN 11, 2007 does not count
From a tulip glass. Poured from a 22 oz bottle purchased in NYC in Dec. Awesome aroma. Piney and very strong. Great tight bubbles from an small but stable head. Taste is similar to the smell. Smooth tasting beer, but a harsh hoppy after taste. Lingers in the mouth for quite some time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
adsynth (2) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - OCT 2, 2006 does not count
High gravity with 10% ABV, the balance is right on (akin to Stoneís Double Bastard). The nose carries pine resins with more fruit than flower notes. The color is darker than average IPA due to the toasted/roasted malts. Rusty amber. The carbonation is lighter due to high ABV. (my type of low "carb" beer) The taste is malt rich sherpa carrying a load of complex hops to the summit of your palate. I canít wait to cellar a few of these.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
edgelow (1) - Alaska, USA - MAY 27, 2008 does not count
My brother and I had both held onto a Magnum bottle apiece and decided to crack them open this last Saturday. My rating may not be completely honest because we finished both of them. I will say that this is probably the best beer I have had from them and hope they release another "special" brew with this recipe in the future. My only problem with this beer was the fact that it made me fall down while putting on my shoes, making my taxi wait a little longer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Wicked6 (1) - Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA - OCT 18, 2006 does not count
Insane. This beer starts off with a sucker punch to the tongue - much like Ruination does.. Definitely more hop presence, splits the difference between a DIPA and a barleywine.. For whatever reason, I enjoyed the last half of the bottle more than the first - more of the flavor and complexity comes out as it warms a bit. I nursed this one intentionally, as it got better and better.. In the last 3 draws, I held it "on palate" & swirled it a bit before swallowing. VERY good. Canít wait for another.