overall

RATINGS: 595   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

Re-releaase as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BillVanE (19) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - MAR 24, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2007 Thanks to jgd0608 love the smell of this. A strong piny flavor, nice crisp appearance what a swell brew yummy get one yourself if you can.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SacSirPlato (19) - New Buffalo, Michigan, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Aged for almost 2 years. This beer is huge. Big on the citrus hops. Big on the malt. Something about these west coast beers really "wow" me and it’s definitely how clean and pronounced the malt is, while still being balanced by such big hops. You get all the flavor from every ingredient. Thank you Stone!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
drinkerofbeers (18) - California, USA - NOV 10, 2007
stone managed to stuff everything good about beer into one bottle. very enjoyable on draft or out of a bottle. strong yet smooth and complex . utterly delicious.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bscanlon (18) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 4, 2007
Had both bottle and draft. I cant wait to get my hands on more. All of the flavors in an IPA you like are in this one. Reminds me of Dogfish 90 minute but much smoother.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
rjulian24 (18) - USA - SEP 5, 2006
Very nice beer with a wonderful hop aroma. Yeast and alcohol aroma are also present and add nice balance and character. There is a slight malt finish in the back, but for a 10% beer it is actually surprisingly dry - which is just right for this big of a double IPA. The bitterness is robust early, but then subsides quickly and lacks a lot of back of the mouth bitterness. The flavor is a bit hot - perhaps a hot ferment. I also get a slight medicinal flavor to it. Overall a very good beer, though the hot flavor in the after taste is a little overpowering. May need some time to age and mellow.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
psbrewlvr (15) - Palm Springs, California, USA - JUL 19, 2007
Great hop aroma, thats about it, way too sweet and cloying. Not to my liking of an IPA. I enjoy their regular IPA much better

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
wish (14) - California, USA - SEP 3, 2006
WOW this is great! I have never liked any IPA; I think Iíve been waiting for this one. It smells lovely and tastes smooth. Copper caramel color, and reminds me of a Belgian beer. Citrus taste & very friendly hops! Great cold, refreshing!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jimcook (14) - Cathedral City, California, USA - OCT 3, 2006
Beautiful dark copper color, light carbonation. Initial taste is akin to chewing on hops. This flavor gives way a bit to the malt and alcohol, but then takes over again on the finish. A must for the IPA fan.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Chthulhu (13) - Escondido, California, USA - AUG 27, 2006
Bottle. Powerful sweet flavor, I can only describe it as toasted pineapple with malt. I can understand why it appeals to the rest of you, but Iím sorry to say I couldnít finish the bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
derkruk (11) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 31, 2006
Bought a 22 oz. bottle at my local (Bottleworks). Poured in a tulip glass, started with a moderate, off-white head that laced a little, but eventually dissipated. The body is a beautiful amber that is slightly hazy. Initial aroma has a sweetness that reminds me of the country, like hay and fresh cut grass. But the actual aroma contains many elements, alcohol sweetness, slight bready/toasty aroma from the malt, and of course the hops! Lemony, piney, resiny, with some grass in there as well. Thereís even a bit of baked pineapple in the aroma. The flavor is big, bold, but very balanced for an imperial IPA. The hops dominate with a bitterness that lingers throughout but does not overpower. The hops flavor is a little grapefruit, a little pine, some resin, but balanced by the malt flavor and by the alcohol. The malt gives it nuttiness and sweetness. The alcohol also contributes to the sweetness. The body is medium-full with good carbonation. And man, does that alcohol warm me up. Very rich, even a little creamy, with a finish that has a long lasting bitterness and sweetness. Overall a wonderful, huge, amazing beer that I should buy more of! Incredibly balanced and worthy of celebration! Itís hard to do it justice in words.