Stone 10th Anniversary IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 582   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

dabinduppes (1) - Anaheim, California, USA - OCT 6, 2006 does not count
Im not a big fan of Stone’s brew. I love IPA, I love hops...but most of the brews Ive tried were too overboard. This beer is the exception. It made me reconsider Stone and go and start drinking my way thru the catalogue. Everytime I pour a glass of this, I cant help but to gush...its an incredible taste, perfect balance !

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Wicked6 (1) - Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA - OCT 18, 2006 does not count
Insane. This beer starts off with a sucker punch to the tongue - much like Ruination does.. Definitely more hop presence, splits the difference between a DIPA and a barleywine.. For whatever reason, I enjoyed the last half of the bottle more than the first - more of the flavor and complexity comes out as it warms a bit. I nursed this one intentionally, as it got better and better.. In the last 3 draws, I held it "on palate" & swirled it a bit before swallowing. VERY good. Can’t wait for another.