Stone 10th Anniversary IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 583   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
marvinpontiac (117) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - AUG 26, 2006
What a beer! Deep amber/orange color with a smallish off-white head. Sweeter than one would expect from an IIPA but not sugary sweet. Aroma is amzaing - tropical fruits and citrus that balance the sweetness on the tongue. In a word; superb.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Enniskillen (2029) - Salinas, California, USA - AUG 28, 2006
Aroma is awesome, tons of hops, hop extract almost. Amber body with a thin off white head. Very fruity taste with a gorgeous hop forefront. havenít seen a great beer from stone in awhile, but here it is.

DrunkenWeasel (224) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 31, 2006
WOW! Pours a perfect solid amber color with a medium frothy white head. Couldnít ask for a better look to an IPA. Smells of floral pine citrus hops all wrapped into one. Very intense and mutli-layered hop smell. The taste is fantastic intense hop smash to the palate with some notes of caramel and alcohol underneath. Aftertaste is a longlasting wonderful hop bite with some caramal notes at the end. This beer rocked my world, I love it. I wish I had more bottles of it. I should go buy some now...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
wish (14) - California, USA - SEP 3, 2006
WOW this is great! I have never liked any IPA; I think Iíve been waiting for this one. It smells lovely and tastes smooth. Copper caramel color, and reminds me of a Belgian beer. Citrus taste & very friendly hops! Great cold, refreshing!!

fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 2, 2006
This offering from Stone pours a deep orange maybe some hint of maroon very nice shading. It left a thin tan head that disappeared quickly but was remedied by a couple swirls in my Rapscallion snifter. The aroma is fantastic, pineapple, passion fruit, honey, hoppy citrus notes, slight alcohal presence, this is a very complex nose so much going on I donít think I can describe everything. As I took the first sip there is a sweetness upfront of caramel and fruit, the hops in this brew actually donít dominate as much as I expected in a IIPA but donít get me wrong they are very much present. The alcohal in this brew is very suttle and by the end of this 22oz bottle I began to feel its presence. The finish is smooth a small grapefruit bitterness but because of that dominate malt presence not very stong. Overall this is a fantastic brew the aroma is phenomenal and well worth the price at $5.95/22oz bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
carl4beer (522) - Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA - OCT 14, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 9, 2008 The doubl IPAís have shown up everywhere lately. This is a mighty fine example. The pours a light copper with slight citrus and pine notes, but not over the top. This is a very fine balance of malt and hops. This is probably one of the best double IPA out there. Too bad this is only for the 10th. perhaps this will make it in the annual production like other stone anniversary ales have.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
0o9i (438) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 21, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2006 Bottled. Clear, honey colored body w/big off-white head, giant in size, sticky lace. Aroma is rich and malty, yeasty and hoppy. Smells sweet and wonderful like Yulesmith. Touch of alcohol in aroma. Body is fullish with light carb and a nicely dry finish. Flavor is rich: sweet caramel and honey with noticeable hops in a floral presence, leaving behind a pollenated and lovely finish. Delicious. Coylingly sweet. Man itís good tho. In spite of ABV, itís sessionable--itís that tasty. Reminds me SO much of Yulesmith, but missing a few key components (orange and all that yeastiness!) and with more alcohol. The alcohol is invisible. Mmmm...good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - NOV 12, 2006
Rich, brilliant auburn. Nose very hoppy and tart, sharp and hugely citric. Flavor is wonderful, extremely hoppy, massive citric and herbal hops notes. Great finish, tongue aggressively burns. Mouthfeel is largely incomparable, extremely rich and full, like drinking a hop-coated pillow. Simply one of the best mouthfeels Iíve ever experienced with a beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BCAR (221) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 17, 2006
Big, Big, Big beer. Aroma is deep caramel, piney hop goodness, and strength in alcohol. Frothy tan head with a clear, rich orange/amber color. Truly unlike othere Double IPAís. Huge flavors with the hop complexities and strong malt profile. Finish is a little thick on the tongue, but I never argue when 10% is involved. I can stand a little burn for the amount of great ingredients in this brew. Always nice to have a brewer push the limits.

ElGaucho (2239) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - NOV 25, 2006
Bottle. I was fortunate to find this brew after I thought for sure it was all gone. I was in the Bay Area 2 weeks ago and forgot to look for it, and 3 months after itís release I figured for sure it was gone. Luckily I was able to locate a couple of bottles. Sticky sweet aroma, wonderful. Reddish amber with plentiful, visible carbonation. Large, off-white head; frothy, creamy. Unbelievably good. Strong, piney, sweet. Perfect balance. A little too strong of an alcohol presence, otherwise, IPAs donít get much better than this.