Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 653   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
Ale brewed with Anaheim chiles and cinnamon

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beergeek23322 (2185) - Chesapeake, Virginia, USA - NOV 11, 2013
11.11.2013. 22 oz. bottle opened 2 years after release. Pours deep copper with a small tan head. Sweet fruity aromas with malt and spice. The peppers still show though, but the cinnamon is gone which is great in my book. For a beer this old, mine held up pretty good and not as flat as I had expected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
KansaiBeerLvrs (1661) - Kyoto, JAPAN - NOV 11, 2013
Happy 11.11, the time has come to clear space in my cellar & drink this bottle of Stoneís Vertical Epic 11.11 I got it from Asahiya, 9.4%. Served in a Trappist glass, a beautiful mellow amber brown pour with a beige head. The aroma is malty sweet with some fruity notes of figs & chili heat. The taste is malty, nutty, sweet, figs, plums & a mild chili heat in the finish. This was made with cinnamon but I donít pick up on that at all. A nice Belgian with some heat from the booze & the Anaheim chilies! I think I agree with others, it isnít aging that well but is still ok.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
rumproasts (2734) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - NOV 4, 2013
tap. brown with small head. this is an odd brew. subtle spice from the peppers. light cinnamon. malt and fruit. thereís a lot of flavors going on, but iím not sure they all go together.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
magsinva (876) - Virginia, USA - NOV 3, 2013
Bottle - this was aged, but it has completely lost the chile heat or cinnamon character. I agree with the brother, meh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DiarmaidBHK (3387) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 3, 2013
Bottle from Brusiní Ales. Pours brown wih a thin khaki head. Has a slight pepper note on the note. Has some roasted pepper notes on the tongue but theyíre faint. Hides its alcohol well. Did not exactly benefit by aging. Eh!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Imaena (1805) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 1, 2013
Bottle. I had this in 10/13 so it had been cellared properly for a while. I was not a huge fan of this brew. The chiles gave it an off flavor i think.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
beertholomeus (705) - California, USA - OCT 27, 2013
Pours a burn amber color with off white head. Malt, chili, yeast and spice aroma. Yeast, chili, spice and malt flavors. Medium body and astringent chili finish. Canít say iím a fan.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
Glouglouburp (5956) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 25, 2013
In short: An dreadful spicy sweet copper ale of kind, gross is so many waysÖ.
How: Bottle 22oz. Once fresh (way too spicy for me). This rating for a forgotten bottle aged in the back my cellar.
The look: Cloudy bronze body topped by a medium beige head leaving lots of lacings on the glass.
In long: Nose is on the heavy-spicy side, gingerbread man, christmas cinnamon candy can, cookies, yeasty phenols. Taste is sickeningly sweet, a lot of candi sugar, sweet cookies, strong yeast presence along with accompanied fruity flavors, strange lavender bath essence sensation, awkward spiciness. I could go on for pages, I got new weird shit at each sip, but I quickly drained poured it. The annoying hot spiciness of the fresh bottle is gone but that just makes the gross excessive sweetness even more apparent, so it is pretty much just as bad now, if not worse than a fresh hot spicy bottle. I used to have blind faith in Stone and I would buy multiple bottles of each of their new releases and anniversary beers, but after atrocities like this beer and the Belgo Anise RIS, I lost my faith. Everywhere else this beer would be called 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale because we donít use the stupid mm-dd-yy American date format.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Mastelefish (81) - North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 19, 2013
Poured a dark red brown from a bottle. Thick head with a good bit of lacing. Smell does not let on cinnamon taste and is rather boozy. Tastes like a cider and strong ale combined. Cinnamon after taste. Not bad overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jmagnus87 (2401) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - OCT 13, 2013
Bottle sampled at RBSG. From notes. banana and clove. Maybe a hint of cinnamon. Not getting anything on the chilies though. Pretty good.