Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

overall

RATINGS: 860   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
abcfan (715) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 19, 2008
Very disappointed in this one after reading reviews here. Not much of an aroma on this one, but I did detect some dark fruit and oats. Pours black with a nice tan/brown head. Taste was wet cardboard and was very slick on the tongue. Nice burning alcohol finish, Nothing exciting going on with this one.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Ernest (6200) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 11, 2008
Bottle. Head is initially average sized, frothy, brown, mostly diminishing. Body is opaque black (flashlight tested). Aroma is moderately malty (husks, roasted/burnt grain, chocolate), with notes of varnish, alcohol, plastic, sour apple, hint of nail polish. Flavor is moderately to heavily sweet, lightly acidic, lightly to moderately bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, lightly acidic, heavily bitter, slightly husky. Medium to full body, watery/syrupy texture, lively carbonation, moderately alcoholic. I hate to preface ratings with "I’m honestly not a hater of this brewery, but..." I mean, the more good beers I can get locally, the better for me, yes? Stone is available locally, so I am literally rooting for them to make some tasty beverages. The 11th Anniversary was actually pretty good. This one is...well...kinda embarrassing. Unpleasant off notes in the aroma right from the start, and they don’t go away. Not to mention burnt and husky and oh-so-crude. The saddest part for me is that I was really in the mood for a stout tonight, but I can’t even drink this, much less rave about it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jcwattsrugger (11079) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - SEP 22, 2008
Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout-22oz bottle-pours a disappearing brown head and black color. Aroma is dark malt-chocolate, rubber, bug spray, some dark fruit. Taste is bitter chocolate-dark malt, boozy, alcohol, tar, vinegar/acidic, woody. Not close to Stone IS. Thanks to jwc215 for sharing.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Cirrhosis (1203) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 16, 2009
"Black syrup with a tall brown crown, dangnabit this looks as thick as tar. Aroma is disappointing, cold dust (I canít explain what that is but trust the smell of cold dust is a real smell), sand box (not in a bad way), some mild alcohol, some coffee and cigarettes. This stuff smells well below average and well well below what was expecting from Stone. Taste is thin and watery, a coffee bitterness lingers while dark chocolate dominates the watered down taste. There is a flavour that hides in the background that I will describe as burnt sourness a to me this is what is ruining the beer. Iím shocked about how mild the flavour is there is no boldness to it, itís just kind of there. On the very last sip I tasted some sweet milk chocolate. This wasnít the beer I was expecting WHAT HAPPENEND?!?! I have only had a few Stone beers but this is the first subpar one. Just had a huge whiff of rubbing alcohol in the remains of my glass. Thanks Jeff?"

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
VertBaconStrips (2070) - Assat, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 15, 2009
***review from March 12, 2009***
Schinkenspeck!!!!!� This is the aroma. I just ate this stuff. Donít agree? Go and some at your deli and get some and eat it - it is this smell. Behind this German cured bacon smell that I love there isnít too much more to note aside from some slight citrus hops - very slight, some chocolate. This is very, very disappointing especially considering that it was the finishing beer of the tasting tonight - Mikkeller Jackie Brown demolished this mess (yes, it is not a comparable beer). I like the cured bacon taste (itís taking forever to edit my brutal drunk type, Iíve pretty much mispelled every word), some oak or wood of some srot. k. fuck this. im done editing my shtitty durnk typing. I miss the sweetness of an oatmeal stout - why ruin this with the 9.2%? it doesnt make any sense. Why cannot you celebrate with a GOOD beer instread of having to make theseover the top beers ever time?. YEa, I getit. you make wacky beers. Well, this time, Iím not down with it. There is morechocolate now and still l a lingering biterness that finally i am asssoccieating with the chocoate. yea, im fairly fcked up but stil i am not enjoying this bere at all. sorry brad, this beer pretty much rots.Full bodied, oily . odd bitter finish. Can I admi t ot wasting money on a Sone beer? Yes. Yes I can. This beer is a piece of shit. Congrats on failure. íd ove to give this a loower mark - and I should , but still itís gt o some appealing qualities. However, this is, for me, a highly disappointing beer - a reciepie hat has failed miserablablin my eyes. THIS IS A WASTE OF MONEY. Crap beer. did they taste this before and did they assure tehmselves that they were proud to call this the Anniverasry beer? For me, th first STone failure - and such a colossal failure it is. Are you scared to give a Stone beer a bad mark? Are they reading these reviews and if you give them a positive review, are they going go give you free stuff? Open your eyes already. Really deserve a lower mark as a sub as a Impy Stout if not lower.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
obguthr (3782) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - SEP 19, 2009
Dark chocolate and charcoal aroma, not strong. Black, thin tan head. Charred oak. Horehound finish. Alcohol content obvious. Uncomplex and perhaps overly bitter. Ok beer, but there are way better imperial stouts.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
RSRIZZO (1852) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JUL 27, 2008
Aroma very faint with a alcohol scent with a hint of roasted malt. Color is solid coal black with mellow carbonation and a thick tight dark tan head. Taste is alcohol and a sweet toastiness. Starts with a full body that goes down with a crisp feel. Finish comes in with a lot of alcohol then just a hint of a sour roasted malt. After taste has a little bitterness coming out. Not a very impressive brew for Stone. Alcohol dominates the flavor.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
PilsnerPeter (3028) - Flushing, New York, USA - AUG 7, 2008
Bottle: Opaque pour with a deep brown head which falls to a film. Very simple aroma. Tons of alcohol, dark chocolate, soy sauce, and even more ethanol notes (smells like vodka) Slick body with an extreme alcoholic flavor. Tastes like vodka with a homogeneous charred bitterness. The forefront of the flavor offers some bitter dark chocolate/bakers fudge (as notalush mentioned), as well as a salty soy sauce note. There’s just too much apparent ethanol, which is frusturating because this stuff is only 9.2% ABV (which is low, relative to many of those alcohol monster Imperial Stouts, which many happen to have less apparent alcohol flavor than this particular one) I wasn’t able to pick up on any subtleties of the malt, or any nuances at all. Reminiscent of charred vodka. I may have to re-visit this with some years behind it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
DonMagi (5596) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - SEP 17, 2008
Cask at GBBF with the rochefortless boyz, but the fingers are still on the gape. Alround rating: Very roasty, eppery bitter alcohol, very bitter in every aspect infact, smokey coffee character, too overpowering and too much going on.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
troopie (2292) - Munchen an der Willamette, Oregon, USA - SEP 20, 2008
Draught. Poured deepest brown with sandy head. Aroma of chocolate and alcohol. Strong sweet chocolate taste with alcohol. Tasted like cough syrup. faint finish, more chocolate. I honestly did not like this, and I have liked everything else I’ve ever had from stone.