Stone 13th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 750   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale pours brilliant deep red with a light tan foam. Up front, the aroma is all piney, resinous and citrus hops. Upon tasting, the hops are still on the front, and they are balanced with the malty, toffee like flavors contributed from the blend of crystal and amber malts used in the brewhouse. The finish is deliciously bitter, with a touch of warmth provided by the 9.5% alcohol. Bitterness comes in at 90+ IBU.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Pours deep brownish-red with a large off-white head. Pine resin and grapefruit pith in the aroma, backed by juicy amber malt. A malty sweetness lasts for about a second on the tip of the tongue before a huge hoppiness that nearly paralyzes the back of the mouth. The hop flavor is interesting: less soft citrus and more grapefruit rind astringency than in most Stone brews. Might be Simcoes. Well-made and quite good, but not really my style of hoppiness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerandIT (300) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Pours a deep reddish color with about half an inch of head that is staying around for me very nicely. On the nose I am getting some pine, slight citrus with floral hop aromas in there as well. I love the red on this guy! Full bodied, but to me very sessionable still especially at 9.5%. On the palate I am getting pine notes up front, but quickly fading into strong hops. One thing I am seeing though as I am having a few more sips of this guy is that almost the malt is subduing the hops a bit to balance it out more. I have to say the bitterness is truly almost a bitter sweet to me. Once again Stone does it again. You guys rock with another kick ass anniversary beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
p00lshark95 (3) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JUL 2, 2009 does not count
Shoprite Hoboken NJ. Bottled. Very nice nose. Pine mixed with cherries and chocolate. Nice head. Very hoppy, although the malts bring out enough sweetness to balanced and contrast the bitterness. Taste is same as the nose just a tad bit sweeter than i would have thought from the aroma. Good Beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Drake (8030) - Free Union, Virginia, USA - JUL 2, 2009
22 ounce bottle from Wine Warehouse in Charlottesville, VA. Pours a deep dark cranberry red color, clear, with a medium tan head. Good head retention and lacing. Aroma is hugely hoppy with resin, pine and peppery notes. Taste is big, bitter citrus hops with some spicy, leafy hops notes also. Big malty notes also with toffee, honey, and faint tropical, berry and dark fruit notes. Light boozy alcohol notes. Full bodied and the bitterness really lingers on the palate in a nice way.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
walleye (1066) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Poured a cloudy mahogany with a big light tan head. When I popped the cap I got a big hit of sweet pine when I put my nose to the glass I got the pine with some honey and malt,caramel and sweet chocolate and dark cherries. Flavor, had a time with this the 1st few sips I thought this isnít that good but I stuck to it. The alcohol took away a lot from this the sweet pine was not there but itís bitter cousin was there, could not get any honey or chocolate. the aroma and the buzz was worth the 6.99 I spent

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
cheap (3940) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 2, 2009
On tap at the Bocktown. nice place. Dark but not opaque. Smell is very hoppy strong. Bitter and lasting taste impressions. Turpentine oily spring spruce sap. Decent carbonation for the amount of hops. Finish is long lasting bitter medicine. wew, more like an IIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChazMania (650) - Pasadena, California, USA - JUL 2, 2009
I love Stone. I bought a case the day it arrived in the store! Big dark pour with nice one finger thick and chewy head. Huge hop aroma. Flavors of sweet malt and toffee that ends with a robust and balanced hop coating and finish. A mild alcohol aftertaste. Great beer, will drink it as long as I can find it.

riversideAK (5574) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JUL 2, 2009
The thirteenth rater of this beer. Oh boy! Huge nose of pine and citrus, some leafy notes, caramel malts some toffee sweetness as well. Pours a nice reddish amber with a full head. Great looking beer with a cascading head in my thizzle glass. Lots of piney resins up front which moves in to a full caramel sweetness, perhaps a touch of chocolate I thought. The sweetness segues into a agressive citrus bitterness that rounds out the finish. Very fresh tasting, lots of hop flavors and resins. Dry and sticky icky, and almost dangerously drinkable for 9.5%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BarrelRoller (15) - USA - JUL 2, 2009
another great beer from the "hit" factory. Big,bold,aggressive, just what us SoCal drinkers expect from the Stone brew crew. Hop character is huge but still glimpses of caramel and toffee malt come through. Hop resin lingers on forever....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Mmmmmboy. Iím seriously excited. Giddy. Deep mahogany reddish brown and a stubborn sticky tan head. Grassy pine aroma, hops everywhere, Iím expecting their flavor to come bursting out. Initial burst of hops is quickly met and replaced by a creamy caramel sweetness, though only temporarily. I usually donít dig these hoppy beers with profound crystal malts, but this works for me. Maybe Iím just a whore for stone.