Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 716   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
We went to England this past spring as self-styled “IPA Hunters” on a mission to learn more about the confusing and often contradictory history of India Pale Ale – to look for some certainty where those before us have found mostly mystery and mercantilism. While our success in this pursuit is open to debate, there can be no question that we returned home inspired by the ghosts of Burton and by the experience of poring over 150-year old brewer’s logs handwritten in (India?) ink. Stone Brewing Co., after all, traces its lineage back to the British Empire’s brewing history: we make ales, and all of our original offerings used traditional British styles as a jumping-off point. If this seems a roundabout way of letting you know that, yes, we are in fact brewing another IPA to mark our Anniversary, well, so be it.

This one however, promises to be different! From the imported white malt to the “Burtonised” water to the rare yeast strain to the most pungent hops Kent has to offer, we used all British ingredients to brew our “Emperial” IPA.* While we may have brewed Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA with our own distinctively modern, San Diego-style touch, what good is history if you can’t rewrite it to suit your tastes?

In this case, our tastes called for highly intemperate quantities of Target, East Kent Goldings, and Boadicea hops, bestowing upon this dry-bodied ale a powerfully spicy, earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness making a brief appearance before being beaten back by a long, complex, and decisively bitter finish. What better way to contemplate the fate of empires past, present, and future?

*Um, except for our filtered Colorado River water, of course.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 29, 2012
I am always game for a Stone Anniversary beer, especially an IPA. This was billed as sort of English but it is clearly a Stone style hopped up IPA which is a good thing!. This had a nice smell, bitter taste of citrus, a bit of malt, hoppy with a bit of kick from the alcohol. This was my third bottle and I couldn’t help but to knock it back quick fast in a hurry. I still wish they would recreate the 10th anniversary because that was their best beer in my opinion. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-06-2010 03:27:54

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jsquire (3346) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - OCT 27, 2012
Hazy pale gold color with a frothy white head. Pine, hop resin and toffee in the nose. I’ve had this bottle about two years, and most of the sharp edges have come off. Toffee and thin caramel sweetness with lots of spice and some pine forest notes. This has a nice old hop patina for those who like that flavor. It kind of got lost in my closet and I wish I had tried it fresh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PilsnerPeter (3028) - Flushing, New York, USA - OCT 14, 2012
Notes from my backlog: Pours a nice hazy glowing orange with a dense white head. Bright citrusy and biscuity aroma with an estery British yeast note. Crisp dry palate- herbaceous flavor- bright and zesty with a ton of bitterness. Quite dry with a nice bright hop zest and a gentle biscuit back. Well done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RoyalFlushing (322) - Mamaroneck, New York, USA - SEP 28, 2012
On tap @ Lazy Boy Saloon. Poured a cloudy golden with orange hues, medium off-white head, and notable lacing. Aroma is big citrus and piney hops with lemon zest most evident. Taste is caramel malt and citrus upfront before palatable bitterness takes over through the finish. Bitterness and citrus flavors linger on the palate. Enjoyable, but not nearly as drinkable and complex as Ruination 10th Anniversary.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Holdwine (1071) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - SEP 24, 2012
The fresh and piney hops leads me to a more "American" IPA, but this thing rocks. It ios perfect for all you hop heads. Oily and spicy, the malt is overshadowed by the wondrous hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
laiti (4952) - Helsinki, FINLAND - SEP 8, 2012
65 cl bottle @ home. Rated on 12.03.2011
Aroma is rather hoppy with some exotic fruits and caramel. Flavour has rather bitter hops with exotic fruits, grapefruit and some caramel. Really bitter finish. Too sweet but good anyway.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
julieimagery (182) - Coconut creek, Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2012
Not as good as the ruination 10th. A lot more bitter in my opinion. Wouldn’t get it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JPDurden24 (1495) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - AUG 3, 2012
Cloudy yellow pour with a white head. Spicey, floral, and lemony. This is a tasty IPA. Another winner from Stone.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
TEJA (1215) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JUN 27, 2012
Bottle from Systembolaget, Seden. Short biege head. Really clowdy light yellow color. Extreme hop aroma that goes over into a overpowering not plesent hoppiness. The taste is much better with huge hop taste and fine bitterness and big body with some sweetness to balance the hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fatehunter (1100) - Corbett, Oregon, USA - JUN 22, 2012
Poured out of a 22oz bottle into a satan glass. A cloudy yellow color going towards an orange. Inch and half of white head. Smell: Great citrus aroma, grapefruit and a sour, but good, smell in there too. It has a sharper smell than most IPAs. Taste: Wow. The hop bitterness hits at the beginning and just keeps beating up those taste buds all the way to the end. Of course in the best way possible. I would expect nothing less from Stone. Then the hops just hang out for awhile in the aftertaste. You will not soon forget this. A little softer, almost creamy, than expected. Still nice. Low carbonation. Obviously the hopheads will love this, but I think it is also very approachable for the general beer public. I am not getting worn out drinking this IPA as some are apt to make me. Nice take on the "Emperial" word use.