Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 726   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
We went to England this past spring as self-styled “IPA Hunters” on a mission to learn more about the confusing and often contradictory history of India Pale Ale – to look for some certainty where those before us have found mostly mystery and mercantilism. While our success in this pursuit is open to debate, there can be no question that we returned home inspired by the ghosts of Burton and by the experience of poring over 150-year old brewer’s logs handwritten in (India?) ink. Stone Brewing Co., after all, traces its lineage back to the British Empire’s brewing history: we make ales, and all of our original offerings used traditional British styles as a jumping-off point. If this seems a roundabout way of letting you know that, yes, we are in fact brewing another IPA to mark our Anniversary, well, so be it.

This one however, promises to be different! From the imported white malt to the “Burtonised” water to the rare yeast strain to the most pungent hops Kent has to offer, we used all British ingredients to brew our “Emperial” IPA.* While we may have brewed Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA with our own distinctively modern, San Diego-style touch, what good is history if you can’t rewrite it to suit your tastes?

In this case, our tastes called for highly intemperate quantities of Target, East Kent Goldings, and Boadicea hops, bestowing upon this dry-bodied ale a powerfully spicy, earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness making a brief appearance before being beaten back by a long, complex, and decisively bitter finish. What better way to contemplate the fate of empires past, present, and future?

*Um, except for our filtered Colorado River water, of course.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Maddog (445) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2010
Bottle from Jungle Jims in Fairfield, OH. Damn, I know IPA’s came from England.....I frickin get that.....but our IPA’s in every way are better. I’m all about tradition and history yada yada yada. Just hop the crap out of my ipa with American hops. I am sick to death of hearing the story. This is a good beer, but nothing that blows me away. English malts, very grassy nose, spicy hops, sticky, resinous and cloying. Good, but I just prefer Cascade, Simcoe, Columbus, Centenniel et al.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
elgiacomo (745) - Ringgold/Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, USA - JUL 6, 2010
22oz bottle. Pours a pretty hazy yellow/amber with a two finger off-white foamy head that recedes slowly and leaves some nice clumpy rings of lacing. Eventually reduces to a faint cap and ring. Aroma is floral, grassy, and earthy hops, citrus rind, spice, light malt sweetness, and a bit of funky yeast. Strength is good at first, but tapers off through the glass. Flavor is really nice, good juicy citrus up front, some spice, earth, grass, moderate light malt sweetness in the middle and then finishes with an excellent lingering citrus bitterness. Very little alcohol is noticed in the flavor but there is a bit there at the end. Mouthfeel is medium to full, oily, medium carbonation. I’ve been on a bitter binge lately and this one delivers nicely. I should probably pick up another one soon as now is the time to drink it. Delicious.

hoptimist (99) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 6, 2010
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2010 Smells like another winner from Stone! Hop-forward nose with big grapefruit presence and some resiny notes as well and just a touch of malty goodness to balance. Pours a beautiful light gold and almost peachy color. Slightly hazy with barely off-white persistent head. Medium-low carbonation. Nice lacing. Taste is big bitterness like the nose on the attack, a little malt sweetness creeping in the middle and a long bitter finish. Pretty much just like the commercial description. Medium body with a creamy/sticky texture. Medium carbonation and a wonderfully long bitter and dry finish. Great beer. Plan on stocking up on a few of these (me AND you!).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
JaBier (5454) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2010
Bottle. Pours clear gold with a medium beige head. English malt aroma with some sweetness along with grassy hops and a bit of citrus. Flavor of English malt quickly turns to grassy hops and grapefruit. Lasting bitter finish of grapefruit rind. Nice complex brew and they did exactly what they set out to do with this style hybrid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - JUL 6, 2010
Not my favorite IPA by Stone, but I love the mission statement on the bottle. Extremely dry and hoppy, this is one hoppy beer, but it also tastes like a belgian triple hybrid which is what’s turning me off. Cloves and tarragon and fennel and some black pepper. Very carbonated. Very complex beer, but there’s those dry sour belgiany flavors of the triple vein that are turning me off. Wish this was more like the 13th anniversay, but I guess I just love my west coast beers ;-) Glad I picked this one up.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
beernovice39 (3251) - Montana, USA - JUL 6, 2010
Bottle pours hazy gold/orange color with a thin white head with good lacing. Scent is citrus with earthy hops. Nice earthy hop bite with long lasting dry bitter finish. I will get more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jrob21 (2897) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUL 6, 2010
A perfect way to celebrate some independence with a west coast brewery famous for west coast ipas. This one strays about from the citrus hop bombs we know and love but does so in a sweet and otherwise enjoyable way. The spiciness here is what you notice up front from the aroma to the first sip of the beer. The flavor is slighlty caramel sweet and with a nice body to it. The flavor fades into a bitter finish that has that fusel alcohol thing going on but not so much I need to toss this aside. Nice grassiness and earthiness again further into the palate. A decently sweet and nicely hopped drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
davidajensen (206) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 5, 2010
Pours light and golden with a creamy head. Citrusy aroma. This is similiar to Caldera’s IPA, but a little more earthy. Really a tasty beer. I lot more refreshing than i was expecting from this style of beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
daknole (10255) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUL 5, 2010
Apricot colored pour. Aroma is all grapefruit and orange peel. Flavor is bitter and delicious. Grapefruit and sour orange peels. Awesome!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
badlizard (5535) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUL 5, 2010
Clear golden yellow with a fluffy white head. Strong citrus and grassy hops aroma with a good malty presence. Nice buttery palate. Good bitterness with tastes of caramel, vanilla, lemon grass, grapefruit, and an earthy grassy finish with long lingering floral hops perfume on the back of the throat. Excellent.