Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 721   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
We went to England this past spring as self-styled “IPA Hunters” on a mission to learn more about the confusing and often contradictory history of India Pale Ale – to look for some certainty where those before us have found mostly mystery and mercantilism. While our success in this pursuit is open to debate, there can be no question that we returned home inspired by the ghosts of Burton and by the experience of poring over 150-year old brewer’s logs handwritten in (India?) ink. Stone Brewing Co., after all, traces its lineage back to the British Empire’s brewing history: we make ales, and all of our original offerings used traditional British styles as a jumping-off point. If this seems a roundabout way of letting you know that, yes, we are in fact brewing another IPA to mark our Anniversary, well, so be it.

This one however, promises to be different! From the imported white malt to the “Burtonised” water to the rare yeast strain to the most pungent hops Kent has to offer, we used all British ingredients to brew our “Emperial” IPA.* While we may have brewed Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA with our own distinctively modern, San Diego-style touch, what good is history if you can’t rewrite it to suit your tastes?

In this case, our tastes called for highly intemperate quantities of Target, East Kent Goldings, and Boadicea hops, bestowing upon this dry-bodied ale a powerfully spicy, earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness making a brief appearance before being beaten back by a long, complex, and decisively bitter finish. What better way to contemplate the fate of empires past, present, and future?

*Um, except for our filtered Colorado River water, of course.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
raiderfost (168) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - JUL 3, 2010
Yum. Another great one from stone, Thanks guys! This is what happens when England mets San Diego. Citrus and pine aroma. Citrus hops dominate this brew so its a winner in my book. Hints of greatfruit. No sign of the 9.0 in this one. Great brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
temporrari (381) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JUL 3, 2010
I’m pretty disappointed in this one. It’s probably just the style it was brewed in, though. I can’t really get into English type IPA, so there you have it. It’s fairly bitter but I can’t help feeling that it reminds me of Ruination after it gets old. Just sort of blah.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SSSteve (3771) - - JUL 2, 2010
22oz bottle. hazy light gold under a large, fluffy, white head. i hate to say it but this smells bad...sweaty socks, mildew aroma. mildewy flavor with herbal/hoppy/citrus and tropical fruit. medium body. the aroma is killing me. weird stuff, i dunno.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mataichi (63) - Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, USA - JUL 2, 2010
Growler from CBX. Pours a cloudy, very light orange/copper with medium amount of head. Smells of grass, resin, maybe a very tiny citrus in the end. Very distinct bitter taste, not the kind I’m used to in most IPAs. Its more sharp, if that makes sense, its a dry bitterness. Get the same kind of feeling after a grapefruit bite, but without the grapefruit taste. Rather interesting beverage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
alexsdad06 (5421) - Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2010
22 oz. bottle from Jungle Jim’s. Pours a hazy golden color with a medium sized off white head. This is quite a bit lighter than expected. The aroma has a skunky quality that I have not experienced from Stone. Other notes include grassy, earthy, dry fruits, hints of citrus and cat urine. The combination is actually very interesting. The flavor is dry and bitter from the outset. Pale, bready malt with hay, floral notes, citrus influences, resiny character with more bitterness in the finish. There is no hint of the 9% alcohol. Medium bodied, dry, but very drinkable. This is an interesting beer that I would purchase again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DialSquare (2659) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2010
Three quarters of a growler fill from charleston beer exchange -- they ran out on my pour and generously gave me the partial fill -- good peoples. Yellow color with a medium white head. Aroma of pine hops, citrus and caramel. Really does taste like an amped up version of the ipa -- maybe a little more of a floral quality. Awesome stuff. The texture and finish are perfect. Getting a bomber to go for a more detailed rate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
tgncc (2818) - Bellmore, New York, USA - JUL 2, 2010
Purchased from beer guy in NYC Penn Station (nicely kept secret). Awesome aroma of citrus, peach, some earth, wood. The appearance is a deep orange, hazy, white head. The flavor is citrus, wood, caramel, fruit. The finish starts like a dry wine wine, and slowly moves into a long resiny hop bittering. Medium thick in body, syrupy mouthfeel. Crazy beer, and very good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sammy (8644) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 2, 2010
Medium golden with white topping head. Understated aromas of the hops, the yeast. Mouthfeel a tad above average. A decent not over-the-top bitterness. Will try this again. Bottle from Swoop Jones newly obtained case.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nena (963) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 2, 2010
Gold pour, big, thick, rocky white head that took a while to fall. Smells very dank, grassy, earthy, with herbs and spices. Upon first tasting this, I got hit by the fecal notes that I sometimes get when it comes to very "dank" hoppy beers, but I found that the beer really grew on me as it warmed, gaining a lot more pepperiness. This has a pretty strong caramelly malt sweetness, strongly earthy and herbal hops which have hints of rosemary and garlic shoots. A little weird, but fun to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
randy1301 (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUL 1, 2010
22oz bottle.Pours a strange pale cloudy yellow with a fizzy yet foamy white head.Nose is herbal hops,grass and bread.Taste is bitter stinging hops with spicy and citrus notes as well.But bitter hops dominate this beer.As far as bitter IPA’s go this is world class.I prefer more balance but really appreciate the example of the style..