Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 719   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
We went to England this past spring as self-styled “IPA Hunters” on a mission to learn more about the confusing and often contradictory history of India Pale Ale – to look for some certainty where those before us have found mostly mystery and mercantilism. While our success in this pursuit is open to debate, there can be no question that we returned home inspired by the ghosts of Burton and by the experience of poring over 150-year old brewer’s logs handwritten in (India?) ink. Stone Brewing Co., after all, traces its lineage back to the British Empire’s brewing history: we make ales, and all of our original offerings used traditional British styles as a jumping-off point. If this seems a roundabout way of letting you know that, yes, we are in fact brewing another IPA to mark our Anniversary, well, so be it.

This one however, promises to be different! From the imported white malt to the “Burtonised” water to the rare yeast strain to the most pungent hops Kent has to offer, we used all British ingredients to brew our “Emperial” IPA.* While we may have brewed Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA with our own distinctively modern, San Diego-style touch, what good is history if you can’t rewrite it to suit your tastes?

In this case, our tastes called for highly intemperate quantities of Target, East Kent Goldings, and Boadicea hops, bestowing upon this dry-bodied ale a powerfully spicy, earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness making a brief appearance before being beaten back by a long, complex, and decisively bitter finish. What better way to contemplate the fate of empires past, present, and future?

*Um, except for our filtered Colorado River water, of course.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
exparte (59) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 18, 2010
Robust aroma of resiny pine and citrus hops with a quite earthy yeast and a touch of spice. Light and glowing amber, cloudy with a thick, fluffy white head that fades fairly quickly with minimal lacing. Slight residual sweetness in the beginning with a significant bitterness towards the end. Fairly light bodied with an oily texture and soft carbonation. Very enjoyable. The earthy yeast brings a unique quality that separates it from other IPAs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
swong17 (58) - USA - SEP 30, 2010
Bottle. Poured a hazy orange with a very airy white head. Hops dominated the nose with a backdrop of citrus, grassy, and floral notes, along with some pepper. Tastes like an imperial IPA should taste--bitter with the hops up front. Though the hops are dominant, they’re not overbearing like in some; instead it’s nicely balanced and peppery. Tasty and solid, but I prefer some of Stone’s other IPA offerings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rahmdog (55) - Durham, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 2, 2010
Pours a cloudy organge-golden color with a light creamy head that is fluffy and persistent. Leaves tons of foam on the glass. Nose is of pine, similar to rosin for a violin. Taste is complex with a fleeting sweet malt paired with a strange sour. There is a banana taste in there, I through that was a made up taste haha. The bitter at the end is not overdone, I have felt much more in standard IPAs, but this is a good thing and lends the the balanced feel of the beer, stone can do no wrong, and this is a big right. Good Brew!

squigs46 (55) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - APR 21, 2011
good beer...flying saucer had their stone kick off party celebrating its arrival in missouri and i tried a few beers brewed by stone.

Chaneybr (52) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 20, 2013
Reviewed 9-3-10 I just spent 5 minutes reading the bottle. Those cats over at Stone are a trip. Poured into my trusty Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale pint glass. Ap: Poured a cloudy, yet bright orange, with about 1/4 inch head and lots of carbonation. Ar: This is not just your average Stone: IPA, Arrogant Bastard, or Ruination fare .... this one is just straight up orange .... the hull, meat, peel .... the whole friggin’ 9 yards! T: Surprisingly, this one is not nearly as hoppy as most of their other IPAs. It doesn’t bite you and is very much like carbonated orange juice. Very strong malt backbone, as opposed to the Ruination (which I still kind of like in a sadistic way). Emperial doesn’t wage war on your taste buds like Ruination. P: Even though I had this in the fridge for several days, it stayed surprisingly warm. After a while, the bitterness starts to hit, but the [orange] citrus (and also maybe honey?) mutes that bitterness. Very pleasant. O: I’m halfway through the bottle and I’m not having any problems. To be honest, I’m not the biggest Stone fan in the world. I get tired of the same type of beers over and over again. But this one is different.... and it may actually be my favorite.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
WildTurkey (49) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 1, 2011
Light orange. Very light for an IPA. Thick frothy head, very small bubbles -- lots of lacing. Hazy. Strong citrus fruit smell. Along with pineapple, pear, and a bready smell. Upfront hops -- citrus tanginess, a little tart. There’s plenty of bitterness but it doesn’t come across as too dry. Pretty juicy. Malts have some sweetness. Also getting a little alcohol. And I’m also getting sort of a slight peppery flavor at the back. Medium body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheOldKid (46) - Wisconsin, USA - AUG 14, 2010
1 pt 6 oz Bottle. Pours to a cloudy golden color with a thick white head that lingers. Aroma is citrus with a touch of hops and I gathered banana and bubblegum. Taste is medium bitter with a subtle sweet character. Palate is medium body with a smooth texture. Lively carbonation with a nice bitter finish. Overall a awesome beer. Stone time in and time out outdoes itself. Keep em coming.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thelizard (46) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - JUL 25, 2010
Bottle from the Mustard Seed in Akron, OH. After I opened the bottle, I could actually smell the hops from across the room. Poured beautifully, golden-orange haze with a pale, white head. Hoppy as all get-out. The first sip completely cleared my sinuses. Every sip after that was even more enjoyable. As it gets warmer, it gets even better. A beer best cherished slowly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JesusPooped (40) - Bay View, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 28, 2010
First off. For $6 this is was a hell of a deal for a bomber. Pour is the clearest and most yellow Stone brew I’ve seen, granted I haven’t tried their pale ale. Nose wasn’t too impressive, almost gives off a pilsner scent. Taste is something I haven’t experience from an IPA. Light but bitter and very resinous and spicy on the palate. Sweet white malts complimented with British yeast and rare hops I haven’t tasted before. Overall great beer, ranges between IPA and IIPA. Stone are definitely the pioneers for IPA’s.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheMantle (37) - New York, USA - JUN 25, 2010
Poured from the bottle into my sam adams pint glass. Pours a straw yellow with a big fluffy white head. Smells earthy and peppery. Suprisingly I dont smell much hops at all. Has a nice spicey and peppery hops flavor. Nice malt backbone but not too strong for and IIPA. Leaves a nice spicy bitter aftertaste.