Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 716   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
We went to England this past spring as self-styled “IPA Hunters” on a mission to learn more about the confusing and often contradictory history of India Pale Ale – to look for some certainty where those before us have found mostly mystery and mercantilism. While our success in this pursuit is open to debate, there can be no question that we returned home inspired by the ghosts of Burton and by the experience of poring over 150-year old brewer’s logs handwritten in (India?) ink. Stone Brewing Co., after all, traces its lineage back to the British Empire’s brewing history: we make ales, and all of our original offerings used traditional British styles as a jumping-off point. If this seems a roundabout way of letting you know that, yes, we are in fact brewing another IPA to mark our Anniversary, well, so be it.

This one however, promises to be different! From the imported white malt to the “Burtonised” water to the rare yeast strain to the most pungent hops Kent has to offer, we used all British ingredients to brew our “Emperial” IPA.* While we may have brewed Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA with our own distinctively modern, San Diego-style touch, what good is history if you can’t rewrite it to suit your tastes?

In this case, our tastes called for highly intemperate quantities of Target, East Kent Goldings, and Boadicea hops, bestowing upon this dry-bodied ale a powerfully spicy, earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness making a brief appearance before being beaten back by a long, complex, and decisively bitter finish. What better way to contemplate the fate of empires past, present, and future?

*Um, except for our filtered Colorado River water, of course.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JUN 23, 2010
I am impressed. Dry as a bone, strict as a nun, memorable. Stones best new beer since Sublime, I mean 11. Yes, an english experiment gone west coast crazy. Smells of old world hops and malts yet mildly. I swoon to the lusciousness of the fat malt body. I break out my sword and fight off the hops that enchamber me. The carbonation is like quicksand dragging me down further and further with every sip. Hop factor is high. Sweetness is almost NIL yet I recall a kiss from a classy English gal. The finish is bittered all to hell like a date gone strangely horrible. I could drink this one everyday. TRUMP!

Caskalefan (142) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 26, 2010
This is what an Imperial IPA should be all about. It’s the perfect marriage of English ingredients with a San Diego hop intensive profile, except there’s no cattiness in this one, just plenty of peach, and pear esters to compliment the more typical grapefruit, mandarin orange, and tangerine. The malt provides a marmalade-like thickness to support all those hops, and the finish is positively endless, but never interferes with the craving for yet another intense sip. This stuff puts me in mind of my old standby, Youngs Special London Ale, only on major steroids! Kudos, Stone!

nustang70 (12) - USA - SEP 19, 2010
Wow, what a great IPA. The high ABV is masked by strong flavors. Drink slowly and share with a friend.

BeeriedEyed (211) - USA - APR 20, 2011
One the best IPAs I have tasted in a long while. It’s balanced and complete with a flavor that it respects. Try this beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
pollardjt (27) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - OCT 11, 2010
22 oz. bottle. Pours a hazy orange/yellow color, with a bit of sediment, and a foamy pale head. Aroma of lemongrass and spice. Pungent first taste. Strong hop flavor/bitterness with the slightest touch of malt that the description mentions. Overall another great beer from the guys at Stone.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Koyo (251) - SWEDEN - DEC 18, 2010
Bottle from Systembolaget. 100th review! - I have been waiting to try this beer for a long time, so imagine my happiness when they announce they would release it in Sweden. Anyhow, the aroma was incredible, very rich and complex. Lots of floral notes, citrus, sweet caramel, all struck at once as I started pouring it into a glass, at arms length. It pours a dark amber colour with a thick white foam that leaves a lot of lacing, it is a bit unclear and at the bottom of the glass there is some yeast. Taste is wonderful, some bitterness and some sweetness, lots of alcohol but it only adds to the taste and the experience. The British hops in this American IPA makes it less bitter than one would be used to with American IPAs, but nonetheless excellent. On the palate it is very generous, the carbonation is just right and it feels smooth all the way down the throat despite the high alcohol content. Overall this is a must try for anyone who enjoy a nice IPA. It was undoubtedly worth the money, despite the high price.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dwyerpg (4354) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUL 10, 2010
Smells nice. Hoppy but frothy. Hazy yellow. This is quite hoppy and very tasty. A very agrressive imperial IPA. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
thorongil2 (1078) - , Ontario, CANADA - OCT 16, 2010
(bottle) hazy pale gold colour with medium white head; aroma of citrus, resin; balanced flavour with long bitter finish, excellent

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
22415brewery (370) - redmond, Washington, USA - JUN 25, 2010
This is a very very smooth drinking IIPA. Courtesy of Malt & Vine in Redmond, Washington. Complex, unctuous (can I say that about a beer?), and overwhelmingly tactile. Pours with the golden color of a Bock with a lingering thick cap of foam. Aroma is of Texas smooth skinned orange pith, peppery mature arugula, and golden caramel lollipops (yes I said lollipops...WHAT’S MY NAME? SAY MY NAME! SAY IT!!!) The alcohol is smooth and is complemented by a very smooth bitterness with no harsh or catty flavors. Based on the complexity and smoothness of this beer you can get a good feel for the fact that they worked on changing their water chemistry. Malt characteristics are amplified, however they equally matched it with the aggressive hopping. This is a special beer. Treat it with respekt. Share it with all who are worthy. Shut your mouth and savor it. WHAT’s MY NAME!!!?

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
bhightow (24) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 28, 2010
citrus, cloudy, golden, minimal head, medium sweetness, medium bitterness, bitter, medium body,