Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 721   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
We went to England this past spring as self-styled “IPA Hunters” on a mission to learn more about the confusing and often contradictory history of India Pale Ale – to look for some certainty where those before us have found mostly mystery and mercantilism. While our success in this pursuit is open to debate, there can be no question that we returned home inspired by the ghosts of Burton and by the experience of poring over 150-year old brewer’s logs handwritten in (India?) ink. Stone Brewing Co., after all, traces its lineage back to the British Empire’s brewing history: we make ales, and all of our original offerings used traditional British styles as a jumping-off point. If this seems a roundabout way of letting you know that, yes, we are in fact brewing another IPA to mark our Anniversary, well, so be it.

This one however, promises to be different! From the imported white malt to the “Burtonised” water to the rare yeast strain to the most pungent hops Kent has to offer, we used all British ingredients to brew our “Emperial” IPA.* While we may have brewed Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA with our own distinctively modern, San Diego-style touch, what good is history if you can’t rewrite it to suit your tastes?

In this case, our tastes called for highly intemperate quantities of Target, East Kent Goldings, and Boadicea hops, bestowing upon this dry-bodied ale a powerfully spicy, earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness making a brief appearance before being beaten back by a long, complex, and decisively bitter finish. What better way to contemplate the fate of empires past, present, and future?

*Um, except for our filtered Colorado River water, of course.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
omega (698) - NEW ZEALAND - NOV 29, 2011
This beer is so good that I let my pizza burn because I didn’t want to taint my palate. Now I am looking a glass of beautiful liquid gold with a fantastic nose and superbly balance flavours that make this a treat to drink; and a burnt to a crisp pizza. Must finish this magnificent specimen first and eat my charcoal pizza.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
generallee08 (680) - New York, USA - JUL 5, 2014
The body has a pale orange-ish tan color. It is quite hazy but carbonation is still visible. From the pour it makes a tall bright white head of tightly packed creamy foam. This slowly fades to thin foam covering that hangs on well and makes nice lace rings on the glass. The aroma is full of bright leafy, floral/botanical (almost minty) and citrusy hops with a hint of pine as well. Under that are notes of clean pale malt and bready yeast. The flavor is in your face hops right from the start. It is complex and brings all hop aroma notes to the flavor. The malt is clean, biscuity and adds a bit of sweetness at the start which makes the hop notes pop. There is a lightly noticeable sweet alcohol as well that adds some warmth. In the finish dry bready yeast and strong hop bitterness come out and dry things right up. This bitterness lingers on the tongue for some time in a good way. The body is just on the full side with nice lively carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Aubrey (3432) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 29, 2010
Liquid gold in appearance. Smells yeasty, spicy, peppery. Smooth up front; chalky and rich in the middle; dryish toward the finish. Flower-petal-like bitterness in the aftertaste. Yeast has some funkiness, in a good way. Earthy. Malts are cracker-like, with hints of cocoa and dry dough. Hops are very floral and somewhat perfume-like. Healthy amount of bitterness, along with a nip of warming alcohol. Curiously different and new, even in a sea of similar IPAs. Definitely has an imperial English-style IPA taste to it, which is actually an untapped domain. Tasty stuff.

Fatalstrike (130) - Cerritos, California, USA - JUN 29, 2010
22oz. Bomber purchased from BevMo Long Beach. Pours a hazy golden orange with a strong creamy white foam head. Aroma is full of hoppy goodness, with lighter malt and yeast aromas in the background. Upfront is a nice sweetness which morphs into a nice peppery, floral hop bouquet, and finishes with a very nice complex hop finish. This beer feels nice and full on the palate without becoming syrupy. For the amount of hops in this beer it finishes surprisingly well. Overall a very nice offering from Stone and my favorite anniversary beer since the 10th. Definitely recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DialSquare (2663) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2010
Three quarters of a growler fill from charleston beer exchange -- they ran out on my pour and generously gave me the partial fill -- good peoples. Yellow color with a medium white head. Aroma of pine hops, citrus and caramel. Really does taste like an amped up version of the ipa -- maybe a little more of a floral quality. Awesome stuff. The texture and finish are perfect. Getting a bomber to go for a more detailed rate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
badlizard (5538) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUL 5, 2010
Clear golden yellow with a fluffy white head. Strong citrus and grassy hops aroma with a good malty presence. Nice buttery palate. Good bitterness with tastes of caramel, vanilla, lemon grass, grapefruit, and an earthy grassy finish with long lingering floral hops perfume on the back of the throat. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChazMania (653) - Pasadena, California, USA - JUL 8, 2010
I’ve been thinking about this beer for a long time.....I finally was able to get out and score one, and I’m glad I did, I need more!! The pour is incredibly clear, orange-yellow, crystal clear, perhaps the clearest Stone I’ve seen. Aroma is wonderfully floral, with mild bubblegum and cut grass. The first taste along with my (so far) other 3 swallows have been delicious. Flavors are distinctly as labeled, very British and very San-Diegian (Diegion? Hmmm). Great texture nicely balanced, it is not over bitter face smacker in the chin, but fantastically between creamy and bitter. I love it, and I must go buy more.

jstraw (1922) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 17, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2011 Hazy orange-gold with good,creamy, white head / Nose of grain, hops, and citrus / Medium to full body, malty but with good, big, hops and long, bitter, finish / Flavors of bread dough, grapefruit, caramel, orange, grass, and dry hops / My first impression was that this style doesn’t quite hold up to American-style ipas, but as I drink further into the bottle I develop a greater appreciation for this dry, bready, malty, monster.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
50belair (2254) - Florida, USA - JUL 18, 2010
My favorite IPA by Stone. This fresh bottle poured a golden orange color. The nose was light fruits, grass, and citrus. This demon is full of hops with a tangy citrus, floral hoppy flavor. The finish has that somewhat bitter west coast IPA feel. Good freakin stuff....

NJDevilz69 (28) - Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, USA - JUL 20, 2010
Bottle. Pours a cloudy golden/orange, nice head that fades quickly. Leaves a nice lacing on my glass. Aroma is very pungent and funky. Very vicious mouth feel. Big citrus and fruit essences. Very long finish that seems to linger there for awhile.