Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 716   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
We went to England this past spring as self-styled “IPA Hunters” on a mission to learn more about the confusing and often contradictory history of India Pale Ale – to look for some certainty where those before us have found mostly mystery and mercantilism. While our success in this pursuit is open to debate, there can be no question that we returned home inspired by the ghosts of Burton and by the experience of poring over 150-year old brewer’s logs handwritten in (India?) ink. Stone Brewing Co., after all, traces its lineage back to the British Empire’s brewing history: we make ales, and all of our original offerings used traditional British styles as a jumping-off point. If this seems a roundabout way of letting you know that, yes, we are in fact brewing another IPA to mark our Anniversary, well, so be it.

This one however, promises to be different! From the imported white malt to the “Burtonised” water to the rare yeast strain to the most pungent hops Kent has to offer, we used all British ingredients to brew our “Emperial” IPA.* While we may have brewed Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA with our own distinctively modern, San Diego-style touch, what good is history if you can’t rewrite it to suit your tastes?

In this case, our tastes called for highly intemperate quantities of Target, East Kent Goldings, and Boadicea hops, bestowing upon this dry-bodied ale a powerfully spicy, earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness making a brief appearance before being beaten back by a long, complex, and decisively bitter finish. What better way to contemplate the fate of empires past, present, and future?

*Um, except for our filtered Colorado River water, of course.

loweredsixth's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - AUG 1, 2010
Pours a cloudy yellow color with a large white head. The aroma had a strong pineapple character to it, and the flavor was an interesting mix of pineapple, lemon meringue, and what I can only describe as a "yeasty sourness". The feel was nice and crisp with a super-dry finish. Very refreshing summer beer, and one that is unlike any Stone beer I’ve ever had. Pretty good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
tectactoe (1167) - Michigan, USA - APR 14, 2014
Bottle: Disclaimer: the first time I had this, I literally just turned 21 & was first getting into craft beer, suggested by a friend. Found it way too bitter at the time, too heavy, wasn’t a huge fan, but it was long before I started review beers so I have no notes. This is four years later, & I still have a bottle in my fridge. Bottled June 2010, consumed April 2014 just for fun. Radioactive orange, completely opaque body, still some sound, off-white head forming on top. Aroma is orange juice, lightly floral hop gardens, & some malty sweet toasty notes underneath. Still quite fragrant. Taste is excessively bitter. Wow. I though before it was just my noob palate, but goddamn this is unabashedly rough on the senses. Like drinking perfume. Pungent, floral notes, extremely bitter orange peel & grapefruit rind, ashy & stinging hops with an earthy, topsoil finish. Lingering bitterness... Crazy bitter. Nearly tough to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hotstuff (3912) - Indiana, USA - APR 10, 2014
Rated on 5-04-2011 (Bottle) When poured, the head is small, fizzy and white. The body is hazy and golden with very little carbonation. There is spotty lacing as well. The aroma is malt, hops, earthy, and spicy. The taste is peppery, spicy, quite bitter, malt, hops, and has a dry finish. The mouthfeel is lively and this is a medium-full bodied beer. Overall, this beer is very hoppy tasting with a lingering hoppy aftertaste. This is a beer for the hop heads.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lothore (451) - California, USA - MAR 29, 2014
A- Pours a cloudy tangerine color with a fluffy, white head. S- Lots of citrus, sweet orange, light fruits. T- Crisp, orange, citrusey hops, light fruits, lots of hop kick on the back end. M- Medium bodied with quite a bit of carbonation. D- I love this beer. Extremely crisp and excellent on a summer night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MattiasA (612) - Malmö, SWEDEN - MAR 7, 2014
Backlog. Bottle released at Systembolaget. One of the best IIPAs i’ve ever had, Stone never disappoints when it comes to the hoppy beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrSilverworm (5022) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 27, 2014
22oz bottle, big thanks to Jay for this one. Shared with Alicia and Robby. Bottled June 2010. Totally hazy yellow orange yellow color. A lot more yeast and particles in the later pour. Thin off-white head. Dots and ropes of lace. Looks good. Some grapefruity, citrusy hop aroma in the nose. Light caramel malt. Kind of spicy malt. Surprisingly hoppy still, definitely not a malt bomb. English ingredients selected seem to have held up very well. This was kept in a cooler continuously while it aged, as far as I know. Metallic aroma in the nose is impossible to ignore, though. Medium to bigger body. Smooth, kind of crisp lighter carbonation. Lightly slick, just a very light bite. Moderate to bigger bitter taste. Light to moderate sweet, way less sweet than expected. Pretty decent stuff. A lot better and hoppier than expected, can’t believe how hoppy and bitter it is for 3.5 years old. Well done, Stone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ads135 (2579) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - JAN 29, 2014
Take unassuming, relatively mild ingredients and assert them thoroughly. The result is a well balanced, surprisingly aggressive beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
gschrade (460) - Collinsville, USA - NOV 22, 2013
I had this at Global Brew. Pours golden with a white head. Taste citrus, earthy, bitter. I thought this was pretty good. I would definitely drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
PriorL (1263) - Gent, BELGIUM - NOV 18, 2013
TAP at Chez Moeder Lambic during "Moeder Lambic Vs. Stone". Only found back scores, not ratings.

Beergeek23322 (2024) - Chesapeake, Virginia, USA - OCT 4, 2013
7/31/2010. 22 oz. bottle. Light amber color with a white head. Aromas of citrus, tropical fruit, yeast, malt, and floral notes. Caramel flavors with hops and fruit showing through. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hapjydeuce (922) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 11, 2013
Bottled. I bought two back in 2010 and drank one the same day I brought it home, but with no rating. Now over three years later... Poured into my classic English Ale-style Pizza Port 11th Annual Real Ale Fest commemorative glass. Color is hazy light toasted gold with a fat head. I’m glad to see the carbonation held up over the last few years. The aroma is smattered with a character of orange peel, white peach, fresh cut grass, pear, banana and clove. Very, very nice. I thought the aroma would have toned down a bit by now. The flavor is sweet at first then leans dry and peppery. A slight bit of oxidation on the back end but I find it rather nice. Still has a complex finish that remains pretty damn balanced between sweet, spicy and dry. To be honest I wasn’t expecting it to be this good when I pulled it out of the ol’ cellar. I really enjoyed this one...maybe I should have let it sit longer....