Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing Co.
Style: Black IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 690   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
In the 15 years since we entered the craft brewing world, change has come not in a straight line, but as an exponential curve. The craft brewing movement has long been called a "revolution." But today the air is so thick with revolution, it’s palpable. No longer is it only an awareness among the faithful; the unconverted are beginning to feel it as well. Denial and ignorance are disappearing in favor of opened eyes, curiosity and the sense that there’s something larger out there. For far too long we have been lied to. For far too long we have been oppressed by the notion that dumbed-down-lowest-common-denominator-mediocrity was all that we could, and should, expect. You might think we’re talking only about the world of brewing, but we’re not. There is a myriad of products out there masquerading as cheeses, coffee, chocolates, breads...hell, there is stuff pretending to be ’food’ that our great grandmothers would not recognize as such. Yet the craft brewing movement, together with the artisanal food movement, is making much progress. Where the industrial companies can’t dismiss or bury us, they are attempting to copy us with cheap facsimiles. Yes, chances are if you are holding this bottle, you understand these things to be true about the world of brewing. You also likely understand the importance of our fight at Stone against accepted ’norms’ over the last 15 years. We believed that America was ready to embrace things made with artistry and passion. You have spoken. Your response has been clear. We are not merely consumers to be spoon-fed whatever commodities need to be unloaded for a profit. We have only just begun to move the needle of this revolution, & mediocrity still reigns. Consider that when you reject dumbed down, industrialized food and drink, you also support craft brewing. The line is nearly seamless; we are fighting the same battle. We will not win in our lifetime, as the powers are too entrenched, and the masses too…fooled. And shackled. However, this is a revolution of ideas and of taste, and we will win. How do you want to be viewed by your children, and your children’s children? As a hero, or as the oppressed? (Those that don’t think they have been oppressed are already lost.) Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide. We hope you’ll stand with us. Strong and unyielding. You are needed. This bottle and its glorious contents are a celebration of you, brothers and sisters, and your importance in this fight. Cheers to all we’ve accomplished together in the past fifteen years, and cheers to the adventure ahead!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
MikeMoriendi (72) - Boynton Beach, USA - SEP 26, 2011
I poured the beer into my Bruery snifter and it arrives….well…..black. It has a light brown head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass as it subsides. The nose is full of fresh hops. I mean it smells straight off the vine. There are hints of chocolate and roasted malts in there too. The taste is really a lot of the same. It is an assault of hops right up front. Only in the back do I get a mild bit of roasted malt character with some chocolate and coffee notes to boot. Then the hops come back and finish. There is quite a bitterness from the hops that lingers around in the aftertaste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
alassio (70) - USA - OCT 19, 2011
This is a fantastic beer. The roasty malts give a richness, but the hops have a piercing bite that turns it into fresh chocolate, anise, and pine. The sensations in the mouth are incredible and change from moment to moment, and keep changing and shifting as the irresistible sips keep piling up minute to minute: mild sweetness and richness gets upturned by a sourness, and then a piney hop bitterness starts a relentless campaign to invade and occupy every diverse dimension of the palate - - tongue, cheeks, even glottus - - various dimensions of the oral cavity all start clocking in like AP & UPI teletypes after some rare spectacle - - taste buds and oral nerves you never realized you had before flashing like Vegas neon, croaking like lit-up lily-pad frogs by nuclear plants, whole oral flavor networks swaying, and careening like decks of creaking plankwood on ancient war galleons. You don’t want this to end. Thankfully, for physical constitution, I am only in the possession of this one bottle, and I can’t remember where I got it. But I will be Googling about it again real soon, and then buying a plane ticket to where I can get it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NateBarnett (69) - Augusta, Georgia, USA - NOV 10, 2011
Wow- I knew it would be good, but this is awesome! Pours black with a minimal head. Smells like coffee and sweet dark fruits- cherry? A little dark chocolate and some light floral elements. Mouthfeel is thicker than I expected, almost chewy. Strong presence of hops and the alcohol leaves my tongue buzzing slightly. Tastes a bit smoky too. Good shit!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kchampagne (67) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - NOV 21, 2011
Had it on tap, as well as out of the bottle. Pours pitch black with a thick dark brown head. Aroma is roasted and hoppy. The taste is floral and has slight chocolate notes. Mouthfeel is great with lingering bitterness. One of my favorites.

sickboy79 (66) - USA - SEP 23, 2011
My first "Imperial" Black IPA. I’ve been getting into Black IPAs recently and this one is amazing! Thick as molasses on the poor. Taste has big chocolate and coffee notes, some big floral hops, and a nice touch of alcohol. Not too boozey, not too sweet, not too bitter. Super example of an Imperial Black IPA. Highly recommended!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sudsmeister (62) - Colorado, USA - OCT 14, 2011
A black IPA. Wonderful idea! This combination of an imperial IPA and an imperial Stout works well. Just be sure to let it warm a bit; at 8 bucks a bomber you want to taste it fully.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Swillbur (62) - Arizona, USA - APR 3, 2012
Everyone of these i drank which was at least 6 had crazy long lasting overflowing head. You can pour 2OZ in a chalice and it will bubble up to the top and even over but never spill down the sides. Pretty nice malty hoppy flavors going on for a style i don’t care for its done well. I just don’t get the crazy head

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mike12da (56) - Osaka, JAPAN - OCT 24, 2011
Wow what a nose, this smells incredible. Big beautiful fresh hop aroma, gives me shivers. Nice deep brown/black color with a beautiful soft tan head. Big long dry bitter mouthful of hops. Definitely some malt in there somewhere, but I’ve never had a black IPA this bitter. Everything about this beer is Imperial. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
frank0830 (56) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - SEP 16, 2011
Served from a bottle, fresh around 40deg in an English Pint. Aroma was very awesome. Strong notes throughout the poor and pint. Beautiful head. Mouth feel was great. Would rather have seen more flavor than a strong alcohol taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bgarnreiter (53) - Alabama, USA - NOV 7, 2011
Pours jet black, with a carmel head with plenty of lacing. smells of malt with a nice hoppy aroma. as if you put an ipa and an imperial stout in the same glass. tastes roasty with the bitter ipa feeling. some citrus with a nice roasted malt. feels dry and lasting with the malty thickness. overall solid brew, with an interesting mix of stuff going on.