overall

RATINGS: 686   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Weíve been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, itís all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). Weíre talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, itís a Double IPA (can you really say youíre surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the letís-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, weíve brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isnít quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
luttonm (2192) - Belgrade, SERBIA - AUG 22, 2012
22oz bottle in Seattle. Typical dipa orange with foamy head. Very smooth body that is hiding the abv remarkably well, though carbonation is almost too reduced. Aroma is tropical fruit and citrus hop, with some lemon zest and grass. Does have a good pinch of lemony tea on top of the robust and rather complex hops. A bit of a chemical-fruit aftertaste. Not terrible, smooth and drinkable and with some nice flavors, but not going to be a favorite.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
HonkeyBra (3318) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - AUG 22, 2012
22 oz. bottle. Deep, reddish amber pour with a medium sticky white head. The aroma smells like my parentís lake house after my parents would sanitize it with this lemon crap. It smells like wood and lemon. Strong lemon. I do get some notes of spicy rye, earth, and dust. Strong lemon dominates the flavor. In case I wasnít clear, Iím not talking about lemony hops I mean straight up I just bit into a lemon. Itís an all lemon show. Lemons are raining down from the sky. The amount of lemon is such a shock to my palate Iím pretty sure I passed out at one point drinking this beer. I woke in a world with yellow skies, yellow clouds. The water from the faucet tasted like lemon juice. It was like that Coldplay song except slightly less terrible. I went to my yellow car and opened the door. I started it with my yellow key and breathed lemon scented AC. But then I wake up with a bitter taste in my mouth. Hereís the thing. I donít really like lemon. Iím not saying I hate it, but as a dominant flavor itís off putting. This tastes a lot like someone stuck a lemon scented Glade air freshener into a beer. Iím not saying this beer is terrible, but itís knocking on the door of terrible. What happened here?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
JohnnyJ (4306) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 22, 2012
Bomber. Clear amber color, with a white head. Bitter, citrusy hops, lemon drops, candy sugar, lightly peppery, and caramel. The lemon is pretty strong, but the beer is too sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
HughConway (784) - Washington, USA - AUG 22, 2012
Pours carmel/amber, stiff white head. Lemon hop aroma, taste is lemon on the fore with some malt then lemon on the back. Not bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
brokensail (10738) - Orange County, California, USA - AUG 22, 2012
The beer is amber in color with a creamy off-white head. Candied citrus on the nose. Fairly sweet with some toffee notes, light herbal and pine aromas, and a fairly woody character to it as well. The hop profile on the palate is quite herbal. A bit too sweet for my tastes. Lots of toffee and brown sugar on the tongue. Candied citrus/grapefruit peel, a touch of candied ginger, and a mild bitterness on the back end.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rogsiu (42) - Illinois, USA - AUG 22, 2012
Pours a light amber with a nice off white head. Aroma of lemon and hops, quite nice. Tastes of lemon, citrus, with some rye and pepper undertones. Lemon is not overpowering and the alcohol is masked well. A good IPA. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
vtafro (3216) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - AUG 22, 2012
Draft. Orange copper pour with tab head. Citrus, grassy, and herbal spices fill the aroma. Herbal hoppy, with grassy and earthy finish, less of a citrus tone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lovemyhops (7) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 22, 2012 does not count
Pours copper with foamy white head. Strong aroma of citrus and spice. Initial taste is spicy malt and bitter citrus. Mostly lemon peel that seems to come through more as this beer sits for a few minutes and gets a little warmer. Finish is fairly dry, bitter and spicy. This beer is a little heavier than anticipated, but still has a lot of big flavors going on here. Another solid IPA by Stone.

wnewberr (100) - Huntersville, North Carolina, USA - AUG 22, 2012
Lemon, lemon, lemon and I love it! Strong lemon aroma from both the hops and the lemon oil. The adjuncts compliment the bittering hops perfectly. This is their most impressive annivesary release by far!

PGHbeer77 (571) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 22, 2012
22 oz. Bottle. Tropical fruit, caramel, grass hop scent. Burnt orange pour with a solid white head to ring. Medium bodied, light syrupy feel. Lemon, kind of like the white center of a Lemonhead candy, tropical fruit fronted taste with bitter hop and a little peppery spice on the finish. Delicious.