overall

RATINGS: 684   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
We’ve been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it’s all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We’re talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it’s a Double IPA (can you really say you’re surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let’s-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we’ve brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn’t quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheRealMGD (551) - Lakewood, Washington, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Tap @ Taphouse Grill. Clear gold pour with a short white head with excellent retention and leaving heavy lace. Nose is citrus and spicy herbs, with some pine. Medium body with moderate, fine carbonation. Mouth feel is quite smooth and pleasant. Spruce, rosemary, lavender, caramel, lemon zest and vodka. Finish is long, resin- and ethanol-bitter. A bit hot for me and a bit too herbal, but always interesting and worth a try.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
thetmaxx (742) - West Sacramento, California, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Poured from the bomber, color is copper, OK lacing. Aroma is piney and lemony. There is a bit of spiceiness. I did detect the hint of rye. Overall it is crazy, but not so amazing that it warrants a anniversary for stone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thome50 (999) - Boringville aka Irvine, California, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Bottle. Pours a nice orange with average white head. Aroma is lemon, sage, slight dank (most of pretty much any Stone beer I’ve had) and some sweetness. Taste is a full double IPA with definite lemon verbena from my days as a plant dork. This stuff is straight up southern California chaparral! The smells and tastes of summer in this one. Not sure that it really blends well with a DIPA but if I ever get off my ass again and homebrew this is the kind of garbage I would make. Overall, really nice in my homer opinion but I hate most stone stuff and will probably grow to hate this over the next month.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
BK7 (725) - Turner, Oregon, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Bomber. This is a big Double IPA. Strong bitterness, grapefruit and pine. Nice balance of malt in the background. Sticky and pungent. Solid finish. Tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MadDogMD (213) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Bomber from Whole Foods Mayo. Nice, typical nose from Stone- sour grapefruit, lemon, pine. Big bitterness up front; more lemon & citrus, pine. As it warmed, I got more of the lemon verbena- which tasted a little too herbal/basil/vegetable for me. Overall, a good beer, tho. Will probably buy/try some more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
portableparty (1909) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Bottle. Pours clear bright orange with a sudsy white head that settles to a soapy film and lacing. Aroma is big resinous hops some pungent spice and strong lemon zest call me crazy, but I smell curry too. Taste is just the norm for Stone with big pungent bitter resinous hops and pine needles along with a spicy pepper note that brings me back to think of Asian food. Palate is fizzy slick /sticky and finishes chalky dry. Complex and pretty tasty!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JFURYCAT (1079) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Lemon spruce is how I sum this beer up. The citrus character turns into that with the lemon oil which is a tad bit more prevalent. Nice dry character at the end of this beer. Perfume like with the malt bill which yields the high abv. A tad bit astringent for me but overall a nice beer. Think that might be the rye causing that effect.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nephilium (1324) - Ohio, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Interesting aroma with lemon and pine notes. Pours a clear amber, with a white head. This is a complex beer... there’s notes from the rye, a lingering bitterness from the hops, all gently wrapped in lemon. Slick on the palate, with a full mouthfeel. I will be getting more of this before it disappears into the past.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
dcschiller (2207) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 15, 2012
Bottle from AJs Arcadia. Pours a mostly clear copper color with a soapy off-white head. Nice carbonation. Aroma of caramel, pine, herbs, and lemon. Taste is sweet and bitter with plenty of herbal and lemony notes. A bit of spice as well. Medium bodied and somewhat sticky. The vegetal/herbal character of this beer is just overpowering. Still a good beer, but not great for my tastes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mjg74 (2490) - La Mesa, California, USA - AUG 15, 2012
Bomber from BevMo. Nose - citrus, herbs, Somewhat Spiced up front. Reminds me of another Stone brew. The rye is pretty noticable. Little hints of citrus and almost a rosemary type of flavor. Alcohol is well hidden.