overall

RATINGS: 689   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
We’ve been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it’s all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We’re talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it’s a Double IPA (can you really say you’re surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let’s-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we’ve brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn’t quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

wnewberr (100) - Huntersville, North Carolina, USA - AUG 22, 2012
Lemon, lemon, lemon and I love it! Strong lemon aroma from both the hops and the lemon oil. The adjuncts compliment the bittering hops perfectly. This is their most impressive annivesary release by far!

sandygoonie (42) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 26, 2012
Had at new brew shop. Absolutely fantastic top to bottom. After my third and I slowed down it got a tad warm in the sun...wow that’s where the hops came through. I see where the grits get this camra stuff. I am buying this stuff out

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
WanderinCelt87 (187) - Hamburg, New Jersey, USA - AUG 27, 2012
Has a very subtle aroma of flowers and hops. The taste is a crisp and bitter with a hint of lemon. Appears to be a dark amber with a white head. Finish is amazing and doesnt leave a bitter after taste like some double ipas.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
thorongil2 (1390) - , Ontario, CANADA - OCT 28, 2012
(bottle) clear amber honey colour with a tall light brownish head; aroma of longan; rich balanced flavour with long strong bitter finish; excellent

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
JBVatkeens (47) - Florida, USA - NOV 29, 2012
Had this out of a bottle, wonderful lacing and nice orange color. Nice citrussy smell.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jbillhill (9) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - OCT 20, 2012 does not count
Draft at flying saucer on a sunny october Saturday afternoon before my night shift at the steakhouse. Yes, there is a god with a satisfactory palate skewed to hop worship. Because she helped make this beer. May the brewers at stone continue to dream the dreams of a free people.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
frank0830 (68) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - SEP 21, 2012
One of the better beers I have had from Stone. This IPA poured in an imp pint a little cloudy. The cloud settled and the head and lace took over once I started enjoying this bottle of awesome. The 16th Anniversary IPA had a beautiful nose of various hops and lemon zest. The taste was the same. Finishes very bitter. I think it was a little better once it warmed up a bit. I hope I can find another bottle of this! I would love to try it draft!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - OCT 16, 2012
Bomber. Although I can smell some lemon notes, the aroma is as much sweet as citrusy, with perhaps some honey and passion fruit. It’s a multi-layered nose that requires a deep inhalation to capture all of the subtleties. Hazy amber with a creamy, off white head. Nice lace. First sip packs a whallop, in all of the best ways. Strong, sweet, hoppy, fresh, lemony. Outstanding. I really should make a point of it to buy a case of beers like this when they come around, but by the time I get to drinking it, it’s gone from stores. Hoping they’ll still have this on tap when I get out to the World Bistro next month.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Festus69 (18) - - NOV 24, 2012
Stone makes the best IPA’s other than Sixpoint Resin. This is a world class IPA with just the right amount of hops because it is not bitter at all. Stone is one of the best breweries in the world.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SPDickerman (991) - Texas, USA - SEP 5, 2012
Pours clear orange with a medium sized off-white head. Smells of lemon, lemon, and more lemon. Taste is lemon and spicy hop bitterness. Medium-bodied with a smooth texture and soft mouth-carbonation, Stone 16th Anniversary IPA finishes with some lemon sweetness.