overall

RATINGS: 607   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 102   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Our latest anniversary beer, starring an all-German cast of malt and hops, is yet one more glorious example of a Stone IPA brewed outside the box. Our brewers have brought their experiments with German hops to fruition, leaving convention behind to create this hefty IPA entirely with pilsner malts. These provide a superbly crisp mouthfeel, while a unique mix of noble and new-school hop varieties adds layers of bright, bitter flavors. Despite the daunting name, this beer isn’t designed to bring about the end of the world, but it just might destroy some of your preconceived notions of what an IPA can be.

Hops bill: Bitter-hopped with Magnum Late kettle additions: Herkules, Merkur and Opal Whirlpool: Emerald (aka Smaragd) and Strisselspalt from the Alsace region of France, which is just a stone’s throw across the Rhine from the German border. Dry-hopped with a 50/50 blend of German Hersbrucker and Sterling

Malt bill: Weyerman Pilsner Malt, Briess GoldPils Vienna

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
FenrisWolf (36) - - OCT 20, 2013
Mother of bittering hop gods. Quite the stout little IPA. flavorful german hops with a walloping palate wrecking finish. Not bad at all.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Bobblehead (35) - Kansas, USA - MAR 18, 2014
Nice aroma, cloudy amber color, minimal head, medium bitter, slightly sour, medium body, lively with a bitter finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ThanksYeast (33) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JAN 11, 2014
Not bad 22 oz bottle. Nice aroma. Very earthy. Slight dirt but not too too bad, different character for sure. Enjoyable. I may enjoy it more as I drink more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lognar (33) - - SEP 30, 2013
(9/8/13) Pours a golden orange with two fingers of frothy foam. The nose is rather light compared to many other Stone IPAs - very subtle and clean. A very interesting/unique herbal note dominates the nose along with a sweet, what I can only describe as, hoppiness that comes through as purely hops instead of citrus or pine characteristics. Basically, as others have said, it smells fresh and hoppy. The taste is wonderfully unique. With the current abundance of quality, often juicy and citrusy, IPAs that exist, Gotterdammerung is a welcomed change of pace. The taste is definitely herbal with some floral leanings. There is this refreshing, malty sweetness as well. I’m not certain if it is maltiness or the peculiarities of the German hops, but it’s delicious, refreshing, and ridiculously palatable. The piney bitterness rises with the finish but doesn’t even begin to overtake the malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is really sticky and full, and with a bit of dryness. I really enjoyed this brew. I tend towards citrus bombs, but this brew really did it for me. Maybe it was the uniqueness or maybe it was the malty sweetness, I’m not sure but I do know that this went down easier than many IPAs I’ve previously had and stands out for me in a sea of amazing IPAs. I would characterize this brew as showcasing hops in a big way - big ,dank, herbal hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tendency (26) - California, USA - AUG 25, 2013
hmm..basics: pours thick golden..nice head and retention when poured properly. strong malt backbone like good pennsylvania steel. you know you’re driking a 9.5% beer with this one as the booze is not well hidden at all. beer has a definite hard on. malt burst through at front of mouth touch sweetness then the hot bitter hop bite. however, well, shit ill just say it: it kinda tastes like a super hopped budweiser on steroids. very bitter kudos for that but the flavor profile is too restrained and a touch bland for my taste. complex, nuanced hop feel lacking this drank more like a punch to the mouth and get the hell out attitude.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pullins10 (18) - - AUG 21, 2013
This beer was recommended to me; enjoy it but I'm not sure I would get it if I also had a chance to have ruination ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Schlaubee (14) - - MAR 23, 2014
Very sweet! There is a strong berry flavor to this - perhaps raspberry - yes I think it’s raspberry! Not my favorite IPA but certainly drinkable for a change of pace.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gravit8 (12) - Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA - OCT 2, 2013
This will be ’what I was drinking when the gubment shut down’. And it calmed my nerves oh so well. Poured from the _last_ bottle my local distro had into a large tulip at 11:55 pm September 30 2013. Clean, clear golden yellow with a hint of copper, clean light head with thin lacing that dissipated quickly at a cool outdoor 65 degrees. Aroma was also clean and crisp, a bit of a ’musk’ tell of the hop/IBU inside the golden nectar. Gloriously complicated but light enough, drinkable enough to stand apart from recent releases (ruin ten). Hop load is noticeable but mellow enough that each of the distinct characteristics of the multiple variations come through over the course of the taste. Once again I feel privileged to be experiencing an exceptional Stone brew that somehow made it’s way to Iowa. With the strong German and Czech ancestry in my hometown we take pilsner styles quite seriously and this particular brew is exemplary of the light malt bill and crisp finish. A must-try if you can still find a bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pdowns916 (9) - Travis AFB, California, USA - AUG 25, 2013 does not count
Bomber bottle to glass. Pours light gold with a light white head. Citrus hints of Grapefruit and pine nuts. Slight resin and malt smell as well. Taste is bitter start to finish with a unique hop flavor in the middle. Over all a different approach to an IPA for me. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Another1 (9) - Missouri, USA - AUG 18, 2013 does not count
Beautiful golden pour, light aroma, creamy white head, and nice lacing. This ale has a big, piney, hop flavor. The palate is amazing. Fantastic for hop-heads! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone