Stone 6th Anniversary Porter

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 218   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This special 6th Anniversary release is a "cranked up a notch or three" version of our Stone Smoked Porter. Our Stone Anniversary brews are a chance for our brewers to go a little wild (even more than they do on a daily basis). We added more malt (which brings up the viscosity and raises the abv to 8%), a fatter dose of hops and conditioned on both French and American oak (which contributes a softness to the mouthfeel and a far-off-in-the-distance hint of vanilla).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
joet (2121) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Yes this is much different... it rolls around in my glass like slate quicksilver. Right off the bat it serves up dark roasty (dare I say <i>smokey</i>?) aromas that also offer the most pleasant and sharp grist and woody aromas Iíve smelled from a beer. This started to really wake up at 53&deg;F and dripped into my tongue like chocolate cake. At 58&deg;F and fully open, there are still no detectable flaws. This is such an easy and remarkably big and robust beer. Remarkable feel -- and this from someone usually without much to say about textures. What a brewing feat! This could be my new favorite Stone beer -- Iím heading to the store as soon as Iím sober to stock up. This is going to be a star of late Fall and Winter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Black as night with a frothy mocha head. Intensely full bodied, rich chocolate malt flavor with a hint of a smokey-coffee flavor. A bitter (hop) aftertaste. My favorite porter to date.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
aracauna (3030) - Georgia, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Black but not opaque. Nice tan head laces nicely. This one isnít as smokey as their smoked porter (a good thing) but it is still noticeably smoky. Dark malts (predominately chocolate) are dominated by the citrus peel hops a bit. Not too overbalanced though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 1, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2004 Not my favorite but impressive all the same. Maybe I'm not into the smoked porters,... don't know , this is the first one I've tried. Black as night and intensely full bodied. It hides the abv well. Smells awfully smoky. Taste is not that much to my liking but I can see how it would be to some and did enjoy trying it. In Stone tradition, an intense beer! 9 5 7 4 16 re-rate 6/22/04: Still fairly carbonated. Pours very thick litely black (Does not pass the flashlight test) with a lite brown head. Great lacing. Aroma of very ripe plums, raisins, anise and smoke. Almost no hoppiness left in this one. Very smooth but slightly watery now. WAY too much sweetness now. The smokiness is more in check but I like the regular smoked Porter a lot better. I've got a couple more bottles laying down that I will try in following years.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerguy101 (5276) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 22, 2002
Dark black color, medium off white head. A BIG full-bodied porter, almost chewy. Roasted malts, chocolaty. Big chewy hoppiness. WOW whatta porter. Stone is usually over the top with their beers (this is NOT a bad thing) and this beer is no exception. Big and bold flavor with a very pronounced hop bite, yet it has a very smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. No alcohol bite, despite an 8.1% ABV. Etched beer bottle. Look very classy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łůdż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - SEP 18, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2003 An unbelievable hoppy nose. I like it a whole lot. I didn't let this puppy cool down much after the ride home in my briefcase, yet, I just can't get as much roastiness as I would want, as much fundamental porterness, through the hops. I like hops as much as the next guy, but you can't get the rest of the beer too well compared to Bear Rep. Black Stout, for example, where it is highly hopped but still super stoutlike. Am I making sense?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - SEP 16, 2002
Almost black. Nice dark tan head and lace. Nose of deep roasted malt, waves of coffee, light chocolate, light smoke and hops. Very smooth (even more so as it warms), lots of roast on palate, coffee, cascades beat you up a bit and stay with you for a while, they finish the beer beautifully. Medium bodied. A rich, malty mífin , roasty as hell brew with an above average hop kick with a drying finish is the best way to describe this badboy. I would mention the 8% but dont think I tasted it, after almost 400 brews, 8% doesnt even make me flinch:-) Reminicent of Storm King. Thank you herbjones.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aesir (130) - Tustin, California, USA - SEP 15, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2003 This beer is excellent. It just tastes good all the way around. Looks beautiful in a big tall pint mug, perfect amount of carbonations, and a taste that combines lots of roasted grains, dark malt, and finishes with a generous amount of hops. If I could make a plea to Stone, it would be to make this Arrogant Porter year round. Then I would ask them to fund a charitable organization to further R&D in the area of training "Monkey Butlers." If we all pitch in, this dream could someday become a reality. Now I'll drink(~9 beers) to that!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - SEP 14, 2002

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TChrome (1409) - Bedford, Texas, USA - SEP 8, 2002
What a beer. There are so many elements. Awesome aroma and flavor. Serious alcohol content but you cant tell. Excellent.