Stone 6th Anniversary Porter

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 218   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This special 6th Anniversary release is a "cranked up a notch or three" version of our Stone Smoked Porter. Our Stone Anniversary brews are a chance for our brewers to go a little wild (even more than they do on a daily basis). We added more malt (which brings up the viscosity and raises the abv to 8%), a fatter dose of hops and conditioned on both French and American oak (which contributes a softness to the mouthfeel and a far-off-in-the-distance hint of vanilla).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 6, 2002
200th Rating!!! This is quite a fine porter. Smokey and burnt, but not to the point where you’re drinking pure ashes. Lots of chocolate and some nuttyness. Huge brown head, and very smooth for what they were trying to do here. Great balance of hops, combined with appropriate alcohol taste and bitterenss. Stone continues to turn out great beer after great beer. Thank you Ratebeer! You have opened my eyes and changed my life!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Just when I was starting to think that Stone was an overrated brewery... This is some really good stuff, I was expecting it to be one-dimensional like many West Coast brews are (hops, nothing but hops), and the hops are here, but there are a lot of other flavors at play here too. Thanks to herbjones for the brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jamrun (137) - Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA - SEP 1, 2002
a beautiful blaqck color small smell of roasted malts, first sip smooth large dose of chocolate,finnish with a nice smokiness hopp are perfectly balnced perfectlyrepresented

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - AUG 31, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2004 1 Aug 2004 Two years later, it's still great. Smokey, chocolatey, and some bitterness. Beautifully complex Original rating. Simply Beautiful. Explosions of coffee, chocolate & malt flavor. Smooth on the tongue, w/ a nice balance of malt & hops.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 30, 2002
YIPPIE, finally Beer #5000 Life time: If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carrol’s ’Through the Looking Glass’ ’The time has come,’ the Walrus said, ’to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings.’ Since I sampled my first sip of ’Beer’ some 50 plus years ago, as a ’Wee Lad At My Daddy’s Knee’ and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. ’Live each day as if It will be your last’ Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children, ’Love them, nourish them, be with them’, as one day you wake up and realize that ’Life’ has moved on’ and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I’d like to thank the Arrogant Bastard himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that’s going into my new cabinet.<P> The Beer pours as dark as midnight, the head is large, frothy, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. Nose is Malt, caramel, toasted grains, hints of hops I also find present. Front is sweet, the top is full, the finish is dry, lightly acidic, hop bitter, and the abv also adds to the long lasting ’Bitter Aftertaste’. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high abv, can’t ask for more than this. Thanks to all of ratebeer for your encouragement and support, God Bless You All. Ranks #9 on my current 1000 beer master list. Damn, forgot to mention that I’m celebrating with a ’Lady Godiva’ cigar, 3/4’ by 8’ long, 3 year old aged Dominican Tobacco, soaked in 30 year old French Cognac!, I’m going to be dizzy after this session’

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - AUG 25, 2002
Big hopped up Porter! Stone hit it with this one. Big palate a hint of smokiness and a huge dose of hops that is balanced out with just enough malt. A must try!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 16, 2002
My second take On Stone and man are they tasting good. I thank DaSilky1 for bringin some of this back to Buffalo here. Porters are my fav. and let me tell ya this is a great one. Especially if ya also love IPA’s which i do. This stuff is definately hopped up and it shows through in the aroma. Nice Dark colors. And at 8.0% the alcohol is a nice warm sensation and not kickin ya in the taste buds. The roasted and smoked flavors are so well balanced with the hop kick its like a party in my mouth.

SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 12, 2002
There’s a hint of roasted sweetness with a distinct hoppy aroma. This pours with a beautiful light-beige frothy head, brimming with slightly laced edges. It kind of sticks to the sides like a shake. Mysterious and deep dark brown, you really have to look pretty hard to peer through the edges to see anything through this one. Big taste, but not too overpowering. I keep thinking of bittersweet chocolate with a hint of orange overtones. Quite a good linger. It fades long, but doesn’t coat your mouth. This definitely steps up to the plate for the category of hopped-up porters, which I heartily recommend; but be forewarned, if you don’t enjoy porters with a lean toward the flowers, you may want to stay away, or maybe let it age a while. I will gladly take it off your hands and dispose of it properly.